Projected Depth Chart 2024

Went back and watched some Ajay Allen film.

Honestly he was fine last year. 350 yds on 5.2 ypc, 5 TDs. First year in the system. I think he can be a more than serviceable RB2 for us, he’s got good vision and hit holes hard last year that our previous RB’s would dance around. Obviously the Virginia hurdle was his main highlight but he ran hard vs Miami Ohio, Clemson and UVA in particular. Can catch passes too.

And I say this with some confidence (sadly) that Fletcher is missing most of this season, if not all of it. And why rush him back and make his injury worse just like the bowl game did? We’ve got Martinez to carry the load and Allen to spell him, and Chris Johnson should be ready to at least make an impact for 5-6 plays if needed. Then if Lyle is who everyone raves he is, he can step in and do something Year 1 if called upon.

Then there’s the Lofton wildcard.

Advertisement

Honestly he was fine last year. 350 yds on 5.2 ypc, 5 TDs. First year in the system. I think he can be a more than serviceable RB2 for us, he’s got good vision and hit holes hard last year that our previous RB’s would dance around. Obviously the Virginia hurdle was his main highlight but he ran hard vs Miami Ohio, Clemson and UVA in particular. Can catch passes too.

And I say this with some confidence (sadly) that Fletcher is missing most of this season, if not all of it. And why rush him back and make his injury worse just like the bowl game did? We’ve got Martinez to carry the load and Allen to spell him, and Chris Johnson should be ready to at least make an impact for 5-6 plays if needed. Then if Lyle is who everyone raves he is, he can step in and do something Year 1 if called upon.

So the expectation is still that Fletcher is out? His interviews gave me some confidence he’d be back but I think Lyle will end up RB2 after the first 4-5 games

So the expectation is still that Fletcher is out? His interviews gave me some confidence he’d be back but I think Lyle will end up RB2 after the first 4-5 games
I’m not going to use definitives. That’s just not wise in the Summer, and obviously the kid wants to get back out there…I just don’t think recovery-wise for this injury, it makes sense to rush him back out there.

Best case, FSU game imo. I’d put that at conservatively 10-20%, higher likelihood we just don’t see him at all unless we’re in the conference champ game / playoffs and he gets more recovery time. That’s why getting Martinez was so imperative.

FSU would be late October and game #8, even that might be pushing it. I would rather him 100% healthy for 2025 than 75-85% begging to play this year.

He does.

But in our scheme you can play them both. Just put Barrow at 4Tech & Cook at 2T. CJ Clark played exclusively at NT (both 0 & 1T), but he can still be lined up on either side of the inside Guards.

With the way Guidry likes to run his stunts anyway, very rarely do our DT's pre-snap alignment really matter, they're all gonna loop, snap & whip multiple times as soon as the ball is snapped.

We don't run the kind of Defense where our guys just stay stationary to their position. Everybody is moving & attacking from all kinds of angles.
If you line up with DT's at a 4 and a 2 I'm just running QB wedge on you for 8y a play.

Even D'Onofrio didn't leave a bubble that wide vs Ga Tech.

Advertisement
I really like the talent and overall depth on the team with the exception of the secondary.
OL is a touchy one. If Carpenter rolls an ankle Rivers has to move to center bc that backup can't snap the ball and screws up the timing of every play. Now you have 2 subs (Rivers at C, new LT) in plus a ? at LG.

I'm intrigued to see who is at LG. I really hope McCoy has turned into talent I thought he was instead of an extra TE. Mario/Mirabal-Dawson have to get on the same page.

If I had an OL prospect in mind and I'm Miami, I'd start nudging them to IMG for their junior season. Samson at IMG vs Sister Mary Catherine would've made a huge difference on his body.

IMG has to be Miami's version of Hargrave from the Va Tech Beamer run.

OL is a touchy one. If Carpenter rolls an ankle Rivers has to move to center bc that backup can't snap the ball and screws up the timing of every play. Now you have 2 subs (Rivers at C, new LT) in plus a ? at LG.

I'm intrigued to see who is at LG. I really hope McCoy has turned into talent I thought he was instead of an extra TE. Mario/Mirabal-Dawson have to get on the same page.

If I had an OL prospect in mind and I'm Miami, I'd start nudging them to IMG for their junior season. Samson at IMG vs Sister Mary Catherine would've made a huge difference on his body.

IMG has to be Miami's version of Hargrave from the Va Tech Beamer run.
I can see your point but I think they’d test Rodriguez to center first, and if he was a disaster then they’d do that. Having a surefire tackle is so hard to find and the last thing they’d want to do is move Rivers and subject Ward to blindside hits.

At least with pressure up the middle, Ward can see it and scramble…even if it collapses the pocket. Ward is used to that.

I liked Allen last year. Ran hard, shifty, didn’t go down if you put a finger on him like Parrish did. He’s probably our number 2 if Fletcher is out.

I can see your point but I think they’d test Rodriguez to center first, and if he was a disaster then they’d do that. Having a surefire tackle is so hard to find and the last thing they’d want to do is move Rivers and subject Ward to blindside hits.

At least with pressure up the middle, Ward can see it and scramble…even if it collapses the pocket. Ward is used to that.
Counter argument:

I can chip ends / outside pressure with backs. Backs v ILB/DT is negligible help.

Inside pressure is worse for QBs. Hence why RB pass pro works inside out. And why OL are taught to win inside, if they beat you outside ride them up field, let Q step up. But always win inside.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I just think Scott needs a ton of coaching/development. He bullied kids half his size and was unblocked a ton. Everyone is betting on the elite athleticism and growth of a 6’4 300+ pound child who played OL/DL and got snaps at RB, which isn’t a dumb thing to do at all but he will need time IMO. 99.9% of DT’s entering college do, so that’s okay.

Lightfoot, playing a different spot yes, but IMO he is a little further along and yes, he is a star himself.
I know some of those drills are set up as an advantage for DEs, but Lightfoot was criminal what he was doing during the all star circuit

He needs some weight (duh) to be an every down guy but he will be in on some passing downs this year imo. Elite pass rushing potential

Assuming normal health over the course of a season, only winning 9 games with this talent would be a cataclysmic disaster.

Truthfully, we should be saying 11 wins or bust. This is an 11 win roster against arguably the weakest schedule we've ever had in the ACC. But, just because my therapist has spent a decade trying to get me to temper expectations with this program, I will say 10 wins or bust. A truly good to great coaching staff wins 11+ here, though. Let's be real.

If somehow, again barring major injuries to really key players, we're sitting here on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and we only won 9 or less games, anyone trying to say it's "progress" because 5 > 7 > 9 should be shot directly in the **** with a 10 gauge shotgun filled with screws, washers, and nuts.
Doc Rivers GIF by SB Nation

Advertisement
So will the secondary be the position group that holds us back? Or is Guidry good enough to hide our weaknesses for a ACC Championship berth?

Advertisement
Back