Projected Depth Chart 2024

We're missing game changers at DT and DB, and depth at DB. Those are the differences between us and a true championship-caliber roster. The question all of us want to know is will they be enough to cause us to lose games?

I'm optimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have a few UL-type games where we look lost out there on defense at critical moments of the game. Maybe our freshmen like ZP, Mac, Frederique, Scott, Jones, Blount will be able to step up and help with stops or turnovers that put games out of reach. And of course, having the offense we have will hopefully be enough to cover.

All that said, we have the most dynamic offense in the ACC. And on D, we have an elite pass rush and high quality and experienced LBs. We're a more complete team than we've been in 20 years.
A good Ball control offense is the best friend of a bad defense. If we take 7 min a drive and score. We’re in good shape.

Advertisement
I just think Scott needs a ton of coaching/development. He bullied kids half his size and was unblocked a ton. Everyone is betting on the elite athleticism and growth of a 6’4 300+ pound child who played OL/DL and got snaps at RB, which isn’t a dumb thing to do at all but he will need time IMO. 99.9% of DT’s entering college do, so that’s okay.

Lightfoot, playing a different spot yes, but IMO he is a little further along and yes, he is a star himself.
I got a lot of feedback from people who saw Scott play and they called him soft and got bullied here and there. Now idk if they were ******* with me knowing that he signed with Miami. Hopefully they are wrong.

Those DTs and secondary….

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Advertisement
A good Ball control offense is the best friend of a bad defense. If we take 7 min a drive and score. We’re in good shape.
Actually ball control offenses succeed most with a good defense. With bad defense you want high flying

BCB - Dyoni Hill/ Jadais Richard
NCB - Damari Brown/ Robert Stafford
FCB - Darryl Porter Jr/ Romanas Frederique

(We really should've added another Portal Corner..)

FS - Mesha Powell/ Markeith Williams
SS - Jaden Harris/ Zaquan Patterson

XWR - Jacolby George/ JoJo Trader
YWR - Xavier Restrepo/ Nathaniel Joseph
ZWR - Samuel Brown/ Isaiah Horton

Advertisement
I was under the impression Cook played the same DT position as Barrow.
He does.

But in our scheme you can play them both. Just put Barrow at 4Tech & Cook at 2T. CJ Clark played exclusively at NT (both 0 & 1T), but he can still be lined up on either side of the inside Guards.

With the way Guidry likes to run his stunts anyway, very rarely do our DT's pre-snap alignment really matter, they're all gonna loop, snap & whip multiple times as soon as the ball is snapped.

We don't run the kind of Defense where our guys just stay stationary to their position. Everybody is moving & attacking from all kinds of angles.

BCB - Dyoni Hill/ Jadais Richard
NCB - Damari Brown/ Robert Stafford
FCB - Darryl Porter Jr/ Romanas Frederique

(We really should've added another Portal Corner..)

FS - Mesha Powell/ Markeith Williams
SS - Jaden Harris/ Zaquan Patterson

XWR - Jacolby George/ JoJo Trader
YWR - Xavier Restrepo/ Nathaniel Joseph
ZWR - Samuel Brown/ Isaiah Horton
Inserting Robbie Washington into the mix at CB takes things up a notch.

Advertisement
Damari and Jaden Harris will be fine. Richard has to be consistent.
Jaden Harris slide in for kam and never hurt us. Damari started the whole last month. Mishel Powell is an expericenced guy. It won't be elite but it will be fine barring injury. Our back 7 need to develop. Luckily our front 4 will terrorize people.

Richard is a catastrophe. Much prefer Hill in the starting group over Richard, but even in the 2-deep he's a liability.

Brown will need to step it up big time. Maybe he can.

I still think Harris is better at CB, but the cupboard is bare so there it is. And he "slid in for Kam" against Bethune and Temple. C'mon...

I like Powell as a solid (not spectacular) safety, though.

And, yes, the best thing going for our secondary is our DL... plus the upgrade at CB coach.

Advertisement

I mean, you do what you have to to win. But Cam with this WR group should be busting bigtime plays too. I don't expect Dawson to dink and dunk his way downfield, or to play Brofense. I expect us to come out more or less balanced, but when Cam is throwing, he's given the full field to throw it where he wants. And we'll have vertical routes plus our own Gronk/Kelce duo in Arroyo and Wiliams.

I guess what I'm saying is I really hope sloppy DB work or overpowered DTs don't force us to go conservative to keep opponents' offenses off the field. I don't think that's going to happen. But that's my one fear. And if we don't have to get conservative, this O will light it up when unleashed.

Richard is a catastrophe. Much prefer Hill in the starting group over Richard, but even in the 2-deep he's a liability.

I still think Harris is better at CB, but the cupboard is bare so there it is. And he "slid in for Kam" against Bethune and Temple. C'mon...

And, yes, the best thing going for our secondary is our DL... plus the upgrade at CB coach.

No expert, but I agree with all of this. I'll go so far as to say I don't feel like Porter has been tested enough to say he's a sure thing either. I know that's blasphemy on here. But I don't see one lock down DB out there as of right now. A couple good ones (Porter and Powell) and several projected to be so, that's it.

At the same time, I have been super impressed by Guidry, and he clearly believes he can guide this group to success or he would have been much more aggressive in the portal than just Powell and Hill (and Riley lol). So I just have no idea what how good these guys can be as a unit come UF.

yeah Richard is inconsistent, I dont know much about hill.

Secondary could be the undoing for this team. Everywhere else screams 10 wins. I’m just hoping that Porter and Meesh is enough to keep that secondary honest.
The secondary is young, yes, but the guys are talented no doubt. I’m not worried about them much because the front 7 will give them so much help. I think the surprise player this year is Markeith! People 💩 on him because he’s light in the *** (pause), but he’s always around the ball! Dude is just a baller and was highly regarded. A straight ball hawk. He’s a hitter as well for his size. He ain’t scared to throw that lil body at people. The bowl game made him look bad in run support but the RB was getting pushed from behind by their linemen on EVERY play. Still, he was credited with 9 tackles. I think he’s going to break out at the free safety spot IF used in Cam’s role. He should be in single high.

Advertisement
Back