Projected Depth Chart 2024

Advertisement
I personally feel people are more worried about the secondary against Florida than the entire season. I know the depth isn’t all desirable, but I think come ACC play this unit can be an average-good unit if the young guys can end up adjusting to the college game and taking a step up. Especially guys like Damari and Jaden. Just my two cents.

I just think it's because it's the positon that's most unproven.

QB - Proven baller
RB - Proven stud, Fletcher was awesome but TBD on injury, some intriguing depth
OL - 4 proven kids, LG or RT TBD but we know at worst we're gonna be pretty good here
TE - Nobody exceptionally proven but we've seen Arroyo at full health and the talent here is very high
WR - Multiple proven kids
Edge - Multiple proven kids
DT - Maybe not championship caliber but there is proven depth here
LB - Proven players with very high end young kids

And then we get to the secondary.

DPJr was really good last year. Aside from that, there are a lot of question marks. Can Hill's game translate from Marshall to the ACC? Maybe, but we don't know. He hasn't done it. Brown was pretty average last year....can he take a year 2 leap? Maybe, but he hasn't done it. Richard is probably JAG, but he's got a chance to shut me the **** up. At least he has gotten into games, but can he develop into an above-average ACC corner? Maybe, but he hasn't yet. Everyone else at corner is a total unknown at this point.

At Safety, Meesh should be a solid contributor. We feel pretty good there. But behind him, there's nothing remotely proven. Harris seems like he has a leg up to start, but will he be as good as Kam or Quan, or even close? We have no idea. Markieth Williams weighs as much as my dog, so good luck there. Patterson is a true freshman.

So does all this mean we'll be awful in the secondary? Of course not. But when you're looking across the whole roster, honestly there aren't a lot of question marks to me. I know what the floor is on most of these spots, and it's pretty **** high. So naturally, where does your curiosity bring you? To the one area where I have no idea what the floor is. The secondary. It's by far the biggest question mark on the team. A lot of kids have an opportunity to turn that to an exclamation point. Will they? The ceiling of the entire team rides with it, so we shall see.

QB - Proven baller
OL - 4 proven kids, LG or RT TBD but we know at worst we're gonna be pretty good here
TE - Nobody exceptionally proven but we've seen Arroyo at full health and the talent here is very high

DPJr was really good last year. Aside from that, there are a lot of question marks. Can Hill's game translate from Marshall to the ACC? Maybe, but we don't know. He hasn't done it. Brown was pretty average last year....can he take a year 2 leap? Maybe, but he hasn't done it. Richard is probably JAG, but he's got a chance to shut me the **** up. At least he has gotten into games, but can he develop into an above-average ACC corner? Maybe, but he hasn't yet. Everyone else at corner is a total unknown at this point.

At Safety, Meesh should be a solid contributor. We feel pretty good there. But behind him, there's nothing remotely proven. Harris seems like he has a leg up to start, but will he be as good as Kam or Quan, or even close? We have no idea. Markieth Williams weighs as much as my dog, so good luck there. Patterson is a true freshman.

So does all this mean we'll be awful in the secondary? Of course not. But when you're looking across the whole roster, honestly there aren't a lot of question marks to me. I know what the floor is on most of these spots, and it's pretty **** high. So naturally, where does your curiosity bring you? To the one area where I have no idea what the floor is. The secondary. It's by far the biggest question mark on the team. A lot of kids have an opportunity to turn that to an exclamation point. Will they? The ceiling of the entire team rides with it, so we shall see.
Yeah I agree with you that it’s an unknown. It worries me for the Florida game. I feel the unit has a good ceiling based on the young talent and what they can bring but like you said we don’t know the floor and what they can consistently bring. A year like this it would be huge to have a guy like Couch or Davis who maybe aren’t necessarily the best guys you can get, but you know what they bring to the table. I am confident by ACC play this secondary will be competent enough to not be a liability. I also think this is good for recruiting because if a Damari brown or Zaquan Patterson can have a big year we can sell coming here to big time recruits, and we’d also be loosing Porter and Powell which opens up the door to sell kids on early playing time at an already thin group.

Last edited:
The amount D Hill posts on IG I don’t have faith he’s going to be any good 🤣 just judging by our luck on activity on IG vs actual Canes on field production. It’s a fool proof system for the last 20 years.

Assuming normal health over the course of a season, only winning 9 games with this talent would be a cataclysmic disaster.

Truthfully, we should be saying 11 wins or bust. This is an 11 win roster against arguably the weakest schedule we've ever had in the ACC. But, just because my therapist has spent a decade trying to get me to temper expectations with this program, I will say 10 wins or bust. A truly good to great coaching staff wins 11+ here, though. Let's be real.

If somehow, again barring major injuries to really key players, we're sitting here on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and we only won 9 or less games, anyone trying to say it's "progress" because 5 > 7 > 9 should be shot directly in the **** with a 10 gauge shotgun filled with screws, washers, and nuts.

If that were to happen, and I pray it doesn’t, there would be several stating exactly that and that we need more time. Guaranteed.

Advertisement
If that were to happen, and I pray it doesn’t, there would be several stating exactly that and that we need more time. Guaranteed.

For sure. And it's complete bull****, however there is 0.00001% validity because, in reality, the kids Mario really recruited are either sophomores or true freshmen. But good coaches win in Year 3, or at least show MAJOR improvement. And with what he's brought in via the portal, that 0.00001% is probably being generous.

So I'm not expecting a natty, I'm not expecting a playoff win, none of that. If you recruit Top 5 classes for 3 and 4 years, then yeah you can bet your *** I expect you to compete for major championships. It's year 3, he;s only had 2 real recruiting classes. But you better believe with the talent on this team you need to win 10+ games in this ****berg league. Especially when you get fsu at home, don't play Clemson, don't play NC State, don't play Notre Dame (i know it's not a league game, but they play ACC Schools every year), and don't play UNC.

There are 8 teams that are currently 30/1 or better to win the ACC. Miami is one of them. Out of the other 7, Miami only plays three of those teams, and two are at home. So of every team 30/1 or better to win this league, Miami plays ONE on the road. No **** excuse at all to lose more than 1 ACC game. None.

QB - Proven baller

Spot on!

Secondary question marks aren't ideal when the rest of the roster looks how it does but Good Lord we have a legit shell of a roster with decent depth. We know over the top is coming vs our unproven DB's so prepare yourself (If your even their leavin). Hopefully Guidry's schemes LB play and the pressure our D-line forces masks any secondary shortcomings.

I have faith Mario will get this roster to elite level. I'm just so glad the one room in question isn't the the one at the helm. Having a Question mark in the QB room going into any season with any roster is a recipe for disaster which is why I "hated" on TVD so much and why I think Mertz and his O line are in serious fcking trouble even in front of their 88,548 hillbillies.

Lets kick their teeth in! 🙌

Advertisement

QB - Proven baller

Imo, we don't need Harris to be as good as Kam or Quan this year. Just be better than James Williams and we'll be fine. ****, be just as good as a Rayshawn Jenkins and that's ******* cake to me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Outside of DPJ that secondary scares the **** out of me. I will hope for the best, because otherwise that's a nasty roster.
Damari and Jaden Harris will be fine. Richard has to be consistent.
Jaden Harris slide in for kam and never hurt us. Damari started the whole last month. Mishel Powell is an expericenced guy. It won't be elite but it will be fine barring injury. Our back 7 need to develop. Luckily our front 4 will terrorize people.

I mean Scott will make a huge difference because of his size but I think both will be very good but Lightfoot is def a 5 star.

I just think Scott needs a ton of coaching/development. He bullied kids half his size and was unblocked a ton. Everyone is betting on the elite athleticism and growth of a 6’4 300+ pound child who played OL/DL and got snaps at RB, which isn’t a dumb thing to do at all but he will need time IMO. 99.9% of DT’s entering college do, so that’s okay.

Lightfoot, playing a different spot yes, but IMO he is a little further along and yes, he is a star himself.

Advertisement
Back