7on7 Practice Notes

Our WR group is going to be so **** nasty. So much big play ability now. A simple bubble screen can turn into 6.

Advertisement
Everyone is talking about Rosier as if he's more experienced in big games. For the record Kaaya started three years and only beat one ranked team, which was the recent bowl game. Let's play one game at a time and don't overlook any team. NC VT GT and Pittsburgh are going to be tough games to win. ND will not be easy too! Remember, we lost 4 games in a row with an experienced QB. I rather focus on winning with defense and special teams and not put any pressure on the offense to win. Haven't we learned from Kaaya Morris and Harris?

Good point about their strengths being on the edge and CB bc i think our strength on the line is in the interior so hopefully we can run between the tackles on them unlike years past. The running game in this game really is the key IMO. Unless one QB has 2 or 3 turnovers, whoever runs the ball best in this game will win

When's the last time we lined up and ran the ball down FSU's throat? QB will have to complete passes and make plays with his feet. FSU has struggled for a long time now with QBs who can run even if they're not great passers.

Exactly! I remember BJ Daniels from USF and Willie Simmons from Clemson (before Clemson was the current Clemson) running all over the field against them. Neither one of those qb's were know for their throwing abilities, especially BJ Daniels. However both beat FSU in Tally because of their feet. FSU currently have eerily similar struggles on defense as the did back in those years.

Did you see what Lamar Jackson did to FSU last year. That running qb wore the Noles defense down.

better receivers and better oline play should really help any qb that starts for us. We have multiple guys now that will get separation and open things up.

Advertisement
Good point about their strengths being on the edge and CB bc i think our strength on the line is in the interior so hopefully we can run between the tackles on them unlike years past. The running game in this game really is the key IMO. Unless one QB has 2 or 3 turnovers, whoever runs the ball best in this game will win

When's the last time we lined up and ran the ball down FSU's throat? QB will have to complete passes and make plays with his feet. FSU has struggled for a long time now with QBs who can run even if they're not great passers.

Exactly! I remember BJ Daniels from USF and Willie Simmons from Clemson (before Clemson was the current Clemson) running all over the field against them. Neither one of those qb's were know for their throwing abilities, especially BJ Daniels. However both beat FSU in Tally because of their feet. FSU currently have eerily similar struggles on defense as the did back in those years.

Did you see what Lamar Jackson did to FSU last year. That running qb wore the Noles defense down.

So Rosier running vs Perry on the run.
Rosier scrambled for a 50 yarder in scrub time last year

Gonna be really difficult this year of all years. They're really stout down the middle of their defense. They'd be drunk and possibly asleep on heroin to not drop a Safety down on a relatively inexperienced QB. Add that to DTs who are likely to give our guys some problems, and we better consider actually attacking them this year.

I'm confident they aren't going to completely shut our running game down like last year. They lost their best DT, by far, and we will be much better on the interior O-line with Donaldson and Gauthier. Oh yeah, and Perry and Rosier are both actual threats to run.

We won't run on them if we can't or won't challenge them in the throw game. We've pretty much never run on them lined up in tight formations without a valid throw game. They ran on us with no throw game (that Greg Jones game), but we've never done it to them that I can remember.

Gonna be really difficult this year of all years. They're really stout down the middle of their defense. They'd be drunk and possibly asleep on heroin to not drop a Safety down on a relatively inexperienced QB. Add that to DTs who are likely to give our guys some problems, and we better consider actually attacking them this year.

I'm confident they aren't going to completely shut our running game down like last year. They lost their best DT, by far, and we will be much better on the interior O-line with Donaldson and Gauthier. Oh yeah, and Perry and Rosier are both actual threats to run.

We won't run on them if we can't or won't challenge them in the throw game. We've pretty much never run on them lined up in tight formations without a valid throw game. They ran on us with no throw game (that Greg Jones game), but we've never done it to them that I can remember.

Chise this is ancient history but I remember the 1990 game where Conley and McGuire tore them up(had over 300 yards rushing that game) but yeah, that was due to the threat of a pass game and Erickson's formation/sets creating running lanes. FSU still remains stout in the front 7, lining up in the I-form and just being conservative all game long to me will be a recipe for disaster against them

IMO Richt - with whoever is behind center for UM - better be willing to throw on early downs and take shots down field liberally

Yup. All of this. Plus, you have to figure that any team we play is going to assume we're going to try to run Walton all day to take the pressure off our QB so they'll be loading the box from the get-go. We HAVE to loosen teams up somehow for our run game to be effective this year, or else Walton's gonna get killed.

Advertisement

Chise this is ancient history but I remember the 1990 game where Conley and McGuire tore them up(had over 300 yards rushing that game) but yeah, that was due to the threat of a pass game and Erickson's formation/sets creating running lanes. FSU still remains stout in the front 7, lining up in the I-form and just being conservative all game long to me will be a recipe for disaster against them

IMO Richt - with whoever is behind center for UM - better be willing to throw on early downs and take shots down field liberally

Taking a lot of shots downfield early in the game is too risky and could backfire, since we don't have a proven downfield passer at quarterback right now. They are definitely going to keep it conservative in the first half, at least. But we won't be running out of the I on every down. If the spring game is any indication, we are probably going to be running an RPO, 3 WR, 1TE offense out of the gun this season.

Everyone is talking about Rosier as if he's more experienced in big games. For the record Kaaya started three years and only beat one ranked team, which was the recent bowl game. Let's play one game at a time and don't overlook any team. NC VT GT and Pittsburgh are going to be tough games to win. ND will not be easy too! Remember, we lost 4 games in a row with an experienced QB. I rather focus on winning with defense and special teams and not put any pressure on the offense to win. Haven't we learned from Kaaya Morris and Harris?

[emoji1487]

Sounds like vett from CS
If that's the same VETTE who used to pollute Grassy back in the day, you guys better soften up that six-to- midnight. He's been debunked as a sauce and second only to chefcane.

Vette had Aubrey Hill as his sauce. Once AH was gone Vette's well dried up but didn't come clean. He did have a legit inside guy for awhile though.

Sounds like vett from CS
If that's the same VETTE who used to pollute Grassy back in the day, you guys better soften up that six-to- midnight. He's been debunked as a sauce and second only to chefcane.

Vette had Aubrey Hill as his sauce. Once AH was gone Vette's well dried up but didn't come clean. He did have a legit inside guy for awhile though.
He was spewing his garbage long before Brie ever came around. Take anything he says as with a gallon of salty man spew.

Advertisement

Taking a lot of shots downfield early in the game is too risky and could backfire, since we don't have a proven downfield passer at quarterback right now. They are definitely going to keep it conservative in the first half, at least. But we won't be running out of the I on every down. If the spring game is any indication, we are probably going to be running an RPO, 3 WR, 1TE offense out of the gun this season.
Taking wild shots isn't what I am suggesting. I agree we'll see a ton of shotgun, 3WR, 1TE. We saw it last year. What I am suggesting is moving a guy like Jeff Thomas in motion, getting him singled up against Trey Marshall or their Nickel and slicing them up down the middle of the field. Remember the 2009 Jacory Harris to Benjamin first TD out of the slot? Basically, we need to put pressure down the middle of their defense or we might not score more than 7.

In either case, I don't expect a high scoring game.

Taking wild shots isn't what I am suggesting. I agree we'll see a ton of shotgun, 3WR, 1TE. We saw it last year. What I am suggesting is moving a guy like Jeff Thomas in motion, getting him singled up against Trey Marshall or their Nickel and slicing them up down the middle of the field. Remember the 2009 Jacory Harris to Benjamin first TD out of the slot? Basically, we need to put pressure down the middle of their defense or we might not score more than 7.

In either case, I don't expect a high scoring game.

Yeah. I wasn't suggesting Al Davis bombs away all night either. We do need to run a diverse passing game though that exploits the middle and doesn't wait till 3rd and long to appear.

Great post!!!!

I'm excited to see Jeff Thomas in game action. As a long time Philadelphia Eagles fan, I think Jeff Thomas is DeSean Jackson 2.0. Fast and quick!! He should flourish on special teams and make big plays on offense when he gets his chances opposite Richards.

If our o-Line holds up, I think whoever wins the QB job will have plenty of wide open targets most of the year. The only secondary that can match up is FSU. However, I think our secondary is just as good if not better which is giving our QBs vital reps against an elite defense.

Advertisement
In order for Rosier to succeed he has to get 50-60 yards rushing a game. If he can be a run threat it takes Mark Waltons game to a heisman candidate level.

Which leads to 82 SAVAGE and Jeff Thomas having 1 on 1s on the oustide. Good luck.

Almost forgot about Herndon! Aint no stopping us.

And the D is nasty "that **** stink"

and.... yeah im off the h3nny

LETS GO CANES

Rosier has never completed more than 51% of his passes in any game or scrimmage. If the poster is accurate--that's VERY encouraging--but call me skeptical. All Perry has to do is complete, at most, 60% of his passes in each scrimmage and the job is his, unless a huge light has come on for Rosier. Finally, a real QB competition that will make this group hold up it's end.

JT Money is going to make the secondary better and better for years to come. Can't wait to see him on the field. X-Cager. Y-Thomas. Z-Richards. I like that.

Delany, Young and Dean will take this defense to the next level. As the season went on, El Jefe disguised in his blitzes and coverages more and more. It will be interesting to see what packages he comes up with. Oh sweet baby Jesus! Thank you for the competent staff!!

Rosier completed 20 of 29 passes against Duke in 2015. I'm pretty sure that's over 51%.

68.9655% to be precise.

Really, man we are going to go into that game with probably the best receiver and te in the league, with several other guys with that can make plays. We are going to have to not play scared. I'm going with Rosier with the mind set that he is a veteran and is not going to be moved by the bigness of the game. Attached them and give it hard to them with one of the best rb in the nation!!! No one is saying that rosier has to be tom brady, but give me Tee Martin.

also, for me this game is more of a coming out party for our oline! When was the last time our line showed up bigtime against them.

Last edited:
Some of this stuff seems to be on par with what we have heard from Pete and D-Money. However, some of this seems to be just someone trying to sound like an insider. For instance, the poster mentioned that Jeff Thomas is faster than Mike Harley, and then also said that Harley is quicker than Jeff. That statement needs to be flipped around. He also mentioned that Dallas had a "quiet" spring. If the poster is plugged as he seems to want people to believe, this comment should have never been made.

Nah it says Harley is faster top end than Richards, not Thomas..

Advertisement
Back