write up on canes from swamp 247

Also, I'm an alumna of both UM and UF, and the Swamp isn't that loud. It's very overrated. Hard Rock gets way louder, because the 1) Swamp just isn't built to hold in the noise, and 2) they don't play music or do anything to keep the energy up. They just have the band playing the same traditional songs over and over. In between plays, everyone sits back down and plays on their phones. And the students are known for leaving by halftime to go drink at Midtown. Always drives me crazy. I can't tell you how many games I've been to where the stands are half empty (or wayyyyy less) by the third quarter). Dozens. Seriously, dozens. But they're SEC, so they get the benefit of the doubt.

Advertisement
They’re 14-5 in the last 3 years at home, and 3-16 on the road or neutral the past 3 years.

Pretty much says it all right there. Miami would likely be a 10 point favorite if the game was at Hard Rock. But, yes it’s a dump, yes it’s a sewer, yes **** them and anyone who supports them forever, but it’s still a hard place to play, and they play much better there. Being the first game of the year with so many new faces for us, I’d be very shocked to see anything other than a one-score game in the 4th quarter. Just gotta find a way to win and get the **** outta there.
Of those 14 wins, how many were against P4 teams that finished the season with winning records?

At least 6 of them are some combo of McNeese St. and Louisiana Monroe.

It will be a wild and hot environment. Must win for both programs. We need to go deep and belt to ***… PAUSE

this goes either way.

-If we play conservative and run up the middle all game and not use the TEs we lose

-if we open it up and put pressure on them with the TEs we win.

I also forgot to mention that Stricklin (UF AD) is reducing stadium capacity in the upcoming renovation. Minimum will be 10,000 but he actually wants to reduce it by 30,000 seats. Now why would they be reducing capacity if they always sold out their games? Take a wild guess....

Advertisement
And just to play devils advocate, if the inverse happens and they go up 10-0 then we have to contend with that crowd for possibly 4 qrts and we are in for a fight.

The Gator is as talented on paper as any team we will face this year except perhaps FSU and by no means should anyone expect an easy game.

Their stats from last year are a bit skewed from playing 5 top 25 teams .

Hopefully, we do go up 14-0 early but with this being the first game of the year neither team is going to quit.
How many years did we say how talented we were on paper?

Also, I'm an alumna of both UM and UF, and the Swamp isn't that loud. It's very overrated. Hard Rock gets way louder, because the 1) Swamp just isn't built to hold in the noise, and 2) they don't play music or do anything to keep the energy up. They just have the band playing the same traditional songs over and over. In between plays, everyone sits back down and plays on their phones. And the students are known for leaving by halftime to go drink at Midtown. Always drives me crazy. I can't tell you how many games I've been to where the stands are half empty (or wayyyyy less) by the third quarter). Dozens. Seriously, dozens. But they're SEC, so they get the benefit of the doubt.
I’ve been to the swamp in 2002 and it was loud, dude. It’s designed pretty good for crowd noise, imo. That design argument applies more to Doak. The swamp is much louder than Doak.

I’ll be there in August.

Not sure why but I think Mario has seen the error of his ways and will let the coordinators coordinate…lol

I mean he has to have heard all the noise about his inadequacies as a gameday coach.Hopefully he takes it to heart and just does what he does best….stock the cupboards with great ingredients.
Agreed.. hopefully the rumors of him being stubborn as **** are greatly over exaggerated in this instance.

Of those 14 wins, how many were against P4 teams that finished the season with winning records?

At least 6 of them are some combo of McNeese St. and Louisiana Monroe.

Well they’re losing those games on the road so my point that they play better at home remains.

Advertisement
I’ve been to the swamp in 2002 and it was loud, dude. It’s designed pretty good for crowd noise, imo. That design argument applies more to Doak. The swamp is much louder than Doak.

I’ll be there in August.
Flying in from Vegas for it. Most important game for UM in years, can’t miss it. I hope every Canes fan that can go, does so. I want 15k fans left in that stadium by the late 3Q, 90% of them Canes fans.

There isn’t a more delusional fanbase on the planet than UF, was at both the 2013 5 turnover game and the 2019 one. Honestly, UF fans left that 2019 game feeling like they lost considering how badly they thought they’d beat up on us with a TF QB and a helpless Zion giving up something like seven sacks. Top 10 team in the country preseason if I remember correctly, actually sat next to a somewhat level-headed UF fan that was astonished at how close it was late 4Q.

I’m ready to talk **** from the minute the gates open for tailgating, all the way up to the bars late at night and into Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
I’ve watched a few of their game from last year some things that stood out to me
Offensively:
They run a lot of eye candy , we have to be discipline
They love play action and hitting crossers.
Eugene Wilson will test our secondary kid can fly.
Montrell Johnson is a good back, gotta get him to the ground.
Defensively:
Every team I seen give them a hard time attacks their secondary. I can’t count how many times I seen teams go at Jason Marshal and be successful.
Gotta use our TE’s against their linebackers I think that’s another advantage for us
Their DL is big stretch plays should wear them out . No need to be running into their huge DTs our line is Athletic let’s make the big boys move .

For this game I really would like the line of
RIVERS
FRANCIS
CARPENTER
COOPER
BELL ( obviously if he’s enough to play )

Last edited:
Flying in from Vegas for it. Most important game for UM in years, can’t miss it. I hope every Canes fan that can go, does so. I want 15k fans left in that stadium by the late 3Q, 90% of them Canes fans.

There isn’t a more delusional fanbase on the planet than UF, was at both the 2013 5 turnover game and the 2019 one. Honestly, UF fans left that 2019 game feeling like they lost considering how badly they thought they’d beat up on us with a TF QB and a helpless Zion giving up something like seven sacks. Top 10 team in the country preseason if I remember correctly, actually sat next to a somewhat level-headed UF fan that was astonished at how close it was late 4Q.

I’m ready to talk **** from the minute the gates open for tailgating, all the way up to the bars late at night and into Sunday afternoon.

They physically beat us up in both those games. And yes, I was at both and watched both multiple times on TV afterwards. I don’t think there will be a repeat of that in this year’s game. Mario has built this team markedly better on both lines. We’ll be better up front on both sides and IMO that’s ultimately what decides the game.

A big key to this game is whether Damien Martinez gets going or not. They're gonna have to sell out to stop the run or pass. One or the other. With the QB/WRs and RB we have, they won't be able to realistically do both.

If Martinez gets going, that's going to open up the passing game a ton.

Billy needs to make this game like last year's Tennessee game for them to have a chance. A game where Florida takes momentum and dominates a half. If we can withstand their initial push (Billy's gonna throw the kitchen sink in the 1Q, we'll be good.

Advertisement

I’ll be there in August.
Eh, I disagree that it's louder than Doak - especially if you haven't been there since 2002. The crowd has been quite apathetic for more than a decade and the stadium really does not hold the noise because it was built in a sinkhole. It is simply a factor of it being one of the largest stadiums, and them having a reputation from the Spurrier / Urban years, but they don't have those types of crowds anymore, which is why stadium capacity is being reduced by tens of thousands. They were hoping that it would be better after the SEC allowed alcohol sales in stadiums a couple years ago, but it didn't change anything because students don't want to pay stadiums prices, especially when the on-field product sucks. I can't even tell you how many games I've sat through with fewer than 30K in the stands. ****, I'm the kind of person who doesn't leave games early, so I sat through that whole Georgia Southern game and was probably one of only 500 people still there in the 4th quarter.

I had some friends who are UW alums come to a game a couple years ago (a home game against Tennessee!) and they also were extremely disappointed with the stadium and the whole experience. They were actually laughing because they said they couldn't believe how ESPN and the media hypes it up so much. And it is a fun college experience, and when the Gators are doing well, it is great. But when they suck like they do now, it sucks just like every other place. And if you've been to Georgia Tech's stadium (I know many of you have), it's honestly very similar, only bigger. It needs these renos BADLY.

LOL speaking of delusional....in 2013, one of the Gator friends (a smart guy too - I went to bschool with him) threw a hissy fit about losing to us. His argument was that they deserved to win because they had more TIME OF POSSESSION. I never laughed so hard in my life, and told him that anyone who gets outcoached by Golden and D'Onofrio deserves to be fired.

I had planned on going, and was hoping to take my son for his very first football game, but I have some pretty major health issues going on and can't travel. Y'all enjoy for me. Hoping to take him to see the Canes when they're in town for GT instead.

Advertisement
I’ve watched a few of their game from last year some things that stood out to me
Offensively:
They run a lot of eye candy , we have to be discipline
They love play action and hitting crossers.
Eugene Wilson will test our secondary kid can fly.
Montrell Johnson is a good back, gotta get him to the ground.
Defensively:
Every time I seen give them a hard time attacks their secondary. I can’t count how many times I seen times go at Jason Marshal and be successful.
Gotta use our TE’s against their linebackers I think that’s another advantage for us
Their DL is big stretch plays should wear them out . No need to be running into their huge DTs our line is Athletic let’s make the big boys move .

For this game I really would like the line of
RIVERS
FRANCIS
CARPENTER
COOPER
BELL ( obviously if he’s enough to play )
I watched they’re spring game and you are spot on

LOL speaking of delusional....in 2013, one of the Gator friends (a smart guy too - I went to bschool with him) threw a hissy fit about losing to us. His argument was that they deserved to win because they had more TIME OF POSSESSION. I never laughed so hard in my life, and told him that anyone who gets outcoached by Golden and D'Onofrio deserves to be fired.

I had planned on going, and was hoping to take my son for his very first football game, but I have some pretty major health issues going on and can't travel. Y'all enjoy for me. Hoping to take him to see the Canes when they're in town for GT instead.
I wish you good health, GT is actually a very underrated road venue imo. They fill Bobby Dodd decently, plus Atlanta is a great city full of bars to watch games. Even the tailgating there as you walk past the frats/sororities isn’t as bad as you’d initially think. Been there now twice (for Al Golden’s unofficial funeral the year prior to the Clemson beating, and also Mario’s first year with a TF Jacurri starting).

Advertisement
Back