write up on canes from swamp 247

The last 2 games they lost at home were to FSU & Arkansas last year.

The biggest things we'll have to overcome is
- the Heat
- the Refs
- Not falling for the gameplan trap.

The advantage we have is our Offense. Arkansas put up 480yds on them (a week after they fired Enox), Mizzou put up 508yds of offense on them & LSU put up 701yds on'em. In all 3 games, their Secondary got picked apart. They revamped most of their Secondary this offseason with the Portal & have some 2nd year players looking to take the next step, but it still remains a weakness to their overall Defense.

They also added some solid pieces to their DLine as well & look to have an improved Run Defense, but not enough to slow down the onslaught of a schedule they'll have to play this year.

We should go in throwing to set up the run to open up the field & create running lanes by pulling Defenders out of the Box. If we go in with a predictable gameplan of trying to stuff it up the middle we're going to make that game much tougher than it needs to be.

The game will come down to us exploiting their Secondary, our DLine disrupting Mertzy rhythm forcing him to speed up his processing (which will create turnovers) & not allowing the Speed they have on the perimeter to beat us Deep.

If we can contain the Deep ball & make Mertz into the Captain checkdown that he is, they won't be able to keep up with us. But the only way that works is for the Offense to score.

We make them play from behind with a deficit & they can't beat us. We allow them to keep it close & the Football Gods might not be on our side.

you already know.

Advertisement
Something to consider is the fans' confidence in Napier. If we score early, and/or shut down their offense, the optimism and crowd noise associated with that will quickly go away.

Then they'll spend the next week criticizing the refs, talking about cheap hits and blown calls.
Claiming cheerleaders were groped and what not

Same Game plan as tamu and we will win properly. We should have won that game easily by 25 if not for the miscues early. Now this year against ufag who is not as good or talented. And with cam. But on the road

I'm gonna have a **** attack if I see us trying to force run plays into stacked boxes. We need to shell shock them right from the get go, put them on their heels and keep them there. Don't under estimate them, hammer them into submission. I want to see their fans leaving in droves at halftime.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot too. I think their program is very much like ours right now in the sense that people are quite upset about the on-field product (rightfully so) and it’s not going to take much to have the pitchforks make an appearance.

I genuinely think if somehow we go up 14-0 and they get the ball and punt or turn it over, you’re going to hear more than a few boos. Fans, in general, are excited and enthusiastic about a new season. But the 90k in that stadium have paid attention the last 2 years. They’ve looked at this year’s schedule. That whole building will turn on Billy QUICK if we start fast. It would be such a massive domino to fall on our way to a win there if we can get that crowd quiet quick. And truthfully, they’re already on their last nerve. It won’t take much. Get up 7-0 early and make a couple more big plays and they’re gonna be REAL vocal about what they’re seeing.
And just to play devils advocate, if the inverse happens and they go up 10-0 then we have to contend with that crowd for possibly 4 qrts and we are in for a fight.

The Gator is as talented on paper as any team we will face this year except perhaps FSU and by no means should anyone expect an easy game.

Their stats from last year are a bit skewed from playing 5 top 25 teams .

Hopefully, we do go up 14-0 early but with this being the first game of the year neither team is going to quit.

Advertisement
And just to play devils advocate, if the inverse happens and they go up 10-0 then we have to contend with that crowd for possibly 4 qrts and we are in for a fight.

The Gator is as talented on paper as any team we will face this year except perhaps FSU and by no means should anyone expect an easy game.

Hopefully, we do go up 14-0 early but with this being the first game of the year neither team is going to quit.

Given the last 2 seasons, the coaches should agree to a loser steps down bet…

**** Florida

The players on the field dictate this is a two score victory for the Canes. We have the right pieces in this right spots to overcome any advantage the home field gives UiF

College football is still the best sport on earth because you just never ******* know…but this is all set up for a decisive Miami victory

As crazy as it sounds, this is a must win game for Miami. Miami needs to win this game for soooooo many different reasons, it’s not even funny. I’m not exaggerating, neither. A lot on the line this season.

No excuses. Win.

Last edited:
While I agree with the last sentence in general, it shouldn't apply to a 3 point lead in the 2nd quarter!
Yeah, when I say “get the lead” I mean go up by multiple touchdowns. Not just get a three point lead and then sit on it.

Advertisement
I believe our defense, and how well we run the ball will be a huge determining factor of the outcome for us.

They’re 14-5 in the last 3 years at home, and 3-16 on the road or neutral the past 3 years.

Pretty much says it all right there. Miami would likely be a 10 point favorite if the game was at Hard Rock. But, yes it’s a dump, yes it’s a sewer, yes **** them and anyone who supports them forever, but it’s still a hard place to play, and they play much better there. Being the first game of the year with so many new faces for us, I’d be very shocked to see anything other than a one-score game in the 4th quarter. Just gotta find a way to win and get the **** outta there.
This ^^^ all day long! A lot of folks discounting the Gators - and I can't stand them - but I don't care how much of a perceived talent disparity, it's still a rivalry/pride game and they'll come to play. Reminds me of our game against FSU last year. They were favored at home and we came limping in with a TF QB and no real passing game and took them to the wire. I may also have some PTSD from hearing how good we should be and it not panning out...

As crazy as it sounds, this is a must win game for Miami. Miami needs to this game for soooooo many different reasons, it’s not even funny. I’m not exaggerating, neither. A lot on the line this season.

No excuses. Win.

Simply have to beat the gator and fsu this year. Have to. It’s so massive for literally everything surrounding the program. You’re better than the gator, period. Get it done. You’re at least just as good as fsu, and you’re home. Get it done.

Joke Campbell holds 9,000 fewer fans.

We had a true freshman QB last year almost beat a then undefeated F$U team in Talla-*******-hassee. I get what you are saying, but I think we are going to be fine in Hogtown. Yes, we need to prepare, but Gator fans are notorious for going quiet if they get punched early.
While I primarily agree with you, I will say that the noise in Benny Hill stadium is significantly louder than "Joke Campbell" (LOL) just based on how the stadiums are built. And, yes, it get VERY quiet at Benny Hill when they're losing.

Advertisement
I’ve been thinking about this a lot too. I think their program is very much like ours right now in the sense that people are quite upset about the on-field product (rightfully so) and it’s not going to take much to have the pitchforks make an appearance.

I genuinely think if somehow we go up 14-0 and they get the ball and punt or turn it over, you’re going to hear more than a few boos. Fans, in general, are excited and enthusiastic about a new season. But the 90k in that stadium have paid attention the last 2 years. They’ve looked at this year’s schedule. That whole building will turn on Billy QUICK if we start fast. It would be such a massive domino to fall on our way to a win there if we can get that crowd quiet quick. And truthfully, they’re already on their last nerve. It won’t take much. Get up 7-0 early and make a couple more big plays and they’re gonna be REAL vocal about what they’re seeing.
If you win the toss you take the ball or go on defense.?

I say take the ball score quick and see how quiet it will get if they go 3 and out and we take it and go score again even a FG…

They are banking on the swamp as their biggest weapon.We need to take their one , or biggest weapon according to them , out of play early and it will be a pleasant afternoon in the swamp.

wonder if we play cover 2 and see if we can generate pressure with our front 4 and mix a blitz in from time to time to keep the Gaytors off balance
We'll try to force Mertz to throw and hit open receivers.

We didn't sit back vs Weigman and he is 10x the talent Mertz was. Guidry is gonna send everything from everywhere.

I'm gonna have a **** attack if I see us trying to force run plays into stacked boxes. We need to shell shock them right from the get go, put them on their heels and keep them there. Don't under estimate them, hammer them into submission. I want to see their fans leaving in droves at halftime.
Not sure why but I think Mario has seen the error of his ways and will let the coordinators coordinate…lol

I mean he has to have heard all the noise about his inadequacies as a gameday coach.Hopefully he takes it to heart and just does what he does best….stock the cupboards with great ingredients.

Advertisement
Offensively, the playbook is wide open. Ward is familiar with the Air Raid, its the same system and terminology for a second consecutive year and he can make every throw there is. Plus, he can make so much more off-platform, he isn't King in that regard, but he is far better than TVD in that aspect.

I just hope the receivers are working daily on perfecting their craft... It's so radio silent around that group in the off-season.

Stretch the field, create movement at the O-Line... just do it.

You’re never gonna have a big blowout in one of these rival games for the most part it is always gonna be close.

It’s why I’m hoping we can get a couple early scores to give the UFAG fans the reason they’re waiting on to jump Bayou Billy and spend the last 3 quarters calling for his head.

I thought the new Roberts guy was taking over DC? Welp. Anyways. **** em

Armstrong is calling the defense. They hired Roberts to babysit him/lock up the Twinkie stash.
This is correct. Billy is just trying to cover his *** because he's been criticized like crazy for his crappy coaching decisions. Last year, he had two OC coaches, but zero ST coaches. It was such a complete ****show. It was common to see bull**** like penalties for only 8 men on the field. EIGHT.

Many of the best players transferred out, and one (guy who went to Ole Miss), then publicly talked about how it was so great that he was actually with coaches who developed him now. Mertz is okay, and Gators will talk him up, but he was quickly surpassed by the early enrollee QB in the spring (kid is talented, and it sucks because Billy will ruin him).

They are in their Golden years right now, and if we lose this game then we need to fire Mario immediately.

Advertisement
Back