write up on canes from swamp 247

Advertisement
Our front seven has to win at the LOS. Napier is a dead man walking and he’s certifiably asinine with his aggressive playcalling, but the ONE THING this man can do is call a very diverse and explosive run game.

Montrell will be their lead back, coming off a solid 800+ yard season splitting time with Etienne in which the former averaged 5.4ypc and had five games with a run of 20+ or more (4 with 26 yards or more). He’s had 800 yards rushing in three consecutive seasons, so he’s pretty experienced at this point and while he’s not close to elite, he’s a pretty good college RB. He also saw an improvement in his catch-passing abilities. Johnson saw at least five games with three receptions or more, and two with six or more. Mertz gets the ball out asap, so you’d figure he’ll do the same thing in this one…especially with an OL that’s much better suited for run-blocking than pass-blocking.

Webb is solid too for a change-of-pace guy, averaging over 6 ypc in limited action.

We spent a good chunk of money bolstering up the D-line + we get Mesidor back. Additionally, Kiko and Wes are much better attacking downhill rather than working sideline to sideline in pass coverage. We must stop their run game first and foremost, even though they have a future star WR in Wilson and (if healthy), a good WR in Badger.

Mario will let Shannon have the same game plan vs TAMU and we're going to cover. Defense will force Mertz to have to make plays late in the game and he won't be able too.

I have a hard time believing that their portal additions will make up any ground on how bad they were on defense last year, vs an offense that has 10 proven starters.
i doubt they play man as much as tamu did lol..i think what LCE said is right, they are gonna try to trap us into a gameplan of being methodical and conservative. Dawson and mario gotta be ready to be aggressive and scheme our way around that ****

Good thing we have a QB now that can read Zone 😀
I hope they’re still game planning for TVD.

This game comes down to how aggressive Dawson is allowed to be. If we come out and try to “assert our will” by forcing runs into a loaded box, we will struggle and the game will be close. If we come out and let our best players (Cam and the WR group) do what they do, we can open up a lead early and shut this thing down quickly. Pass to get a lead and then run to keep it.

Advertisement
"The 'Canes brought in the nation's No. 10 overall transfer portal class according to 247Sports, with 15 commits, including six four-star players, along with signing the No. 4-ranked class of 2024, headlined by five-star defensive lineman Justin Scott. Miami's signing class included six players ranked within the nation's top-100 prospects."

We signed SEVEN top 100 players.

The last 2 games they lost at home were to FSU & Arkansas last year.

The biggest things we'll have to overcome is
- the Heat
- the Refs
- Not falling for the gameplan trap.

The advantage we have is our Offense. Arkansas put up 480yds on them (a week after they fired Enox), Mizzou put up 508yds of offense on them & LSU put up 701yds on'em. In all 3 games, their Secondary got picked apart. They revamped most of their Secondary this offseason with the Portal & have some 2nd year players looking to take the next step, but it still remains a weakness to their overall Defense.

They also added some solid pieces to their DLine as well & look to have an improved Run Defense, but not enough to slow down the onslaught of a schedule they'll have to play this year.

We should go in throwing to set up the run to open up the field & create running lanes by pulling Defenders out of the Box. If we go in with a predictable gameplan of trying to stuff it up the middle we're going to make that game much tougher than it needs to be.

The game will come down to us exploiting their Secondary, our DLine disrupting Mertzy rhythm forcing him to speed up his processing (which will create turnovers) & not allowing the Speed they have on the perimeter to beat us Deep.

If we can contain the Deep ball & make Mertz into the Captain checkdown that he is, they won't be able to keep up with us. But the only way that works is for the Offense to score.

We make them play from behind with a deficit & they can't beat us. We allow them to keep it close & the Football Gods might not be on our side.
This.
We do exactly this, we win. We do this to the T, we can win by double digits.

“The Swamp” is the primary reason that I’ve seen from their fans and others on winning this game. We gotta start quick and score quick. Go up 14-0 before they can blink and that place will be a graveyard by halftime.
The Gator fans quiet quickly when an opponent scores. Will never forget being in the OB when Brock Berlin got hot in the second half. Had several Gator couples next to us ... Brock completed a pass and the group uttered a collective "uh oh". And it was on.

"The heat". Where do they think we are from?

"The rockin' stadium". Will be NO DIFFERENT from what (most of) these same players experienced last year in Talla-*******-hassee.

I love how they are taking credit for "delay of game" and "false start" penalties for a QB who threw 3 TD passes in the first quarter. And that guy who brags about the NEXT FOUR drives after the three TD passes? Hilarious.

These ****ers went 4-2 in Hogtown (and 0-1 in Jax) and 3 of the 4 wins were against McNeese, Charlotte, and Vandy.

I'll bet those three teams were ****ing down their legs over "The Swamp"...

Advertisement
Great post, and I would add:

-The Crowd

It’s going to be VERY loud, especially early in the game and if it’s close in the 2nd half. We have a QB playing game 1 in this system. Starting back is the same. A new Center. These dudes aren’t gonna be able to hear a thing on 3rd down. Are we absolutely in sync with line calls, hand signals, silent counts, everything that goes into road games…in game 1? This will be the loudest environment we play in all season, bar none. We have to be razor sharp from jump. No false starts, no snapping the ball early and Ward isn’t ready and it causes a fumble, etc. we gotta be well coached and prepared for the noise.

Joke Campbell holds 9,000 fewer fans.

We had a true freshman QB last year almost beat a then undefeated F$U team in Talla-*******-hassee. I get what you are saying, but I think we are going to be fine in Hogtown. Yes, we need to prepare, but Gator fans are notorious for going quiet if they get punched early.

Joke Campbell holds 9,000 fewer fans.

We had a true freshman QB last year almost beat a then undefeated F$U team in Talla-*******-hassee. I get what you are saying, but I think we are going to be fine in Hogtown. Yes, we need to prepare, but Gator fans are notorious for going quiet if they get punched early.

I said early in the game or if it’s close in the 2nd half. It’s also game 1 of a new season, against Miami. It’s going to be incredibly loud. Obviously the staff will prepare, but a big factor in the game is going to be how well do they execute off that preparation in response to the noise? How many false starts are there? How many holding calls are there because the tackles can’t hear and don’t get off the ball in time? How many early snaps are there? How many miscommunications on audibles are there? The noise is going to impact every one of those things. How well will the kids execute in the face of all that? I am of the belief that if both teams play clean football, Miami likely wins. We have the better QB and better overall roster. But turnovers and mistakes are great equalizers. I’m very interested to see how prepared the kids are for the advantage The Sewer gives the gator, because sloppy mistakes are the only way I think they win this game.

Advertisement
it feels great rolling in with a qb that has played in big atmosphere's before, Washington, Oregon, Wisconsin, Utah, etc.

No doubt about it. That’s definitely a big help. I don’t think Ward, personally, is going to be overwhelmed by the moment in the least bit. He’s not going to go into a shell a la Brandon Wimbush. But my point is, there are 11 dudes who have to be on the exact same page on every single snap, or disaster looms. Ward may be cool as a cucumber, and honestly everyone else might be too, but when you have a 3rd and 7 and the guard cant even hear the center, you need to be very well prepared. These preparations usually take a bit of time. I’d be considerably less concerned about the stadium environment if this game was in October. But Week 1 games are often sloppy even when you’re at home. When you can’t hear a thing, you gotta be on your **** for every nanosecond over 60 minutes. If the team is, I think we win the game.

We have the talent to win this game by double digits easy. The problem is that Mario and Dawson havent proven to me yet that they know what to do with a talent advantage and how to exploit it. So Im going to keep my expectations in check and my **** in my pants until the clock is at 00:00.

Advertisement
By halftime the Gator fans are going to be real jealous of our covered seats in Miami.

Advertisement
Back