write up on canes from swamp 247

Advertisement
I think Cam with his experience will have our offense on point he'll have alot more control than TVD did also. Which I think will be important when he sees them trying to stack the box he'll have quick hitters an screens to back them up an open up the running game for Martinez, CJ, and Lyle! I'd like to see a good screen game this year with Brown, X, and George. RB SCREENS to with CJ! If we play how we're expected to and play smart I think we can blow them out. Our Dline will be better this year linebackers a year older add Alderman, Chase, and Popo I'll take that over Cloyd and Flagg. Don't think our safetys take as many chances this year I think Quan An Harris will be a good duo. We SHOULD blow them out!

It’s because they want to make more room for luxury boxes. There’s way more money there than there is in $20 cheap seats. Live sports is getting away from just cramming as many people into bleachers as possible. They’re trying to sell a premium product now at a significantly higher price point. It’s why people want roofs and air conditioning, high definition replay screens, comfortable seating and premium food and drink options.
That is part of it, but do the math. He is not reducing a THIRD of the stadium - the size of the entire student section - for luxury boxes. Come on, now. Yes, they are putting MORE in (they already have a bunch of luxury boxes, btw). But that is not the whole reason.

Believe me, I am an alum and people are ****ed about this. They don't want the renovations happening at all.

I’ll just say one reason I’m so confident in this game is Napier

Miami has a better roster yes but I put a lot of stock into the head coach in college making sure kids are prepared for games like this. I’m not a fan of Mario on Gameday but I actually think he’s better than Napier. Richt was the only guy in the last twenty years that I routinely felt like we had an advantage more often than not.
This is exactly how I feel, although Mario still makes me nervous. Billy is just unbelievably horrible though, on every level. I truly believe he won't make it through this season. Mario is an iffy gameday coach, but he has strengths in the other areas. Billy has no business coaching at this level. He's the Peter Principle personified.

And re: Mertz - Mertz's stats are going to regress this year without Pearsall and Etienne. They are reloading with equal talent. They also relied way too much on the OL last year (remember I told y'all that Billy sacrificed other parts of the team to put two coaches on the OL? Well this was why - Mertz needed the protection.) I won't be shocked at all if Billy pulls Mertz for Lagway to try to save his job halfway through the season. Lagway made Mertz look like an idiot in spring practices. There are a LOT of things that Lagway can do that Mertz can't. They are going to try the Leak-Tebow dual QB packages that Urban did, but it won't work if they don't have the other pieces. So with that schedule, Billy is going to get very desperate.

Their defense is average. If our offense is at all deserving of this hype, we should be able to score on them. I worry more about our secondary than our line, so I think we can score more points than them. Therefore, Mario better not **** this up.

Edit: I meant to say they are NOT RELOADING with equal talent.

Last edited:
Napier was actually worse than Mario when it came to gameday coaching last year. His team had 8 men on the field multiple times, especially on STs. They hired some doofus from NE Patriots to come in and try and straighten that **** out.

Now that the NCAA passed the more coaches on the sideline rule, lets see which one of these ding dongs improves.
Billy wasn't even smart enough to have anyone coaching special teams last year. There were special teams plays where he actually had PLAYERS coaching the special teams. I kid you not.

But there were TWO offense line coaches.

Advertisement
This is exactly how I feel, although Mario still makes me nervous. Billy is just unbelievably horrible though, on every level. I truly believe he won't make it through this season. Mario is an iffy gameday coach, but he has strengths in the other areas. Billy has no business coaching at this level. He's the Peter Principle personified.

And re: Mertz - Mertz's stats are going to regress this year without Pearsall and Etienne. They are reloading with equal talent. They also relied way too much on the OL last year (remember I told y'all that Billy sacrificed other parts of the team to put two coaches on the OL? Well this was why - Mertz needed the protection.) I won't be shocked at all if Billy pulls Mertz for Lagway to try to save his job halfway through the season. Lagway made Mertz look like an idiot in spring practices. There are a LOT of things that Lagway can do that Mertz can't. They are going to try the Leak-Tebow dual QB packages that Urban did, but it won't work if they don't have the other pieces. So with that schedule, Billy is going to get very desperate.

Their defense is average. If our offense is at all deserving of this hype, we should be able to score on them. I worry more about our secondary than our line, so I think we can score more points than them. Therefore, Mario better not **** this up.
I know some people are down on our secondary, and I understand it. Clearly from a star aspect we need to do way better

But I see some guys with good potential that also should cut down on mistakes. The front 7 should do work getting to the QB so the secondary just needs to play with better discipline and we should be ok especially against a team like UiF

UiF will always have good athletes but between Cam, Martinez, the WRs, and the TEs…there’s just no weakness on offense

That is part of it, but do the math. He is not reducing a THIRD of the stadium - the size of the entire student section - for luxury boxes. Come on, now. Yes, they are putting MORE in (they already have a bunch of luxury boxes, btw). But that is not the whole reason.

Believe me, I am an alum and people are ****ed about this. They don't want the renovations happening at all.
I mean, they’re not just taking out seats because they don’t like them. If they’re removing sections of seating it’s to make room for something else that will make them more money. When they did the remodel at HRS, they removed almost 10,000 seats. Mostly for room to put 4 jumbo-tron monitors but also to make room for a high priced, premium section at midfield on the home sideline where seats are spaced out and you get all the amenities that the rest of the stadium doesn’t.

I mean, they’re not just taking out seats because they don’t like them. If they’re removing sections of seating it’s to make room for something else that will make them more money. When they did the remodel at HRS, they removed almost 10,000 seats. Mostly for room to put 4 jumbo-tron monitors but also to make room for a high priced, premium section at midfield on the home sideline where seats are spaced out and you get all the amenities that the rest of the stadium doesn’t.
My point was never about financials - I had brought this up earlier with someone else because we were talking about reduced stadium capacity and the bull**** "noise" argument. If those 30,000 people were truly at the field screaming their heads off and creating such an incredible home environment that the Gators never, ever lost in THE MIGHTY SWAMP, then this wouldn't even be a question. And the environment was awesome in the 90s and 2000s, but not anymore, and Foley is gone and Stricklin is here now, and he has never seen the Swamp be that kind of environment. Not even close, and it is just coasting on it's reputation and being SEC. And honestly, college stadiums in general - even Bryant-Denny - aren't like that for the majority of games, just the major rivalry games, which is why EVERYONE is reducing capacity and remodeling and revamping and creating jumbotrons and better experiences and better vendors and everything for the alumni and not the students. Because the students aren't the ones who spend the money anyway.

(Which, btw, is why the arguments about HRS sucking are dumb, because now all the college stadiums are revamping their stadiums to be more like HRS. And we'll never be able to put a stadium on our 230 acre campus.)

I know some people are down on our secondary, and I understand it. Clearly from a star aspect we need to do way better

But I see some guys with good potential that also should cut down on mistakes. The front 7 should do work getting to the QB so the secondary just needs to play with better discipline and we should be ok especially against a team like UiF

UiF will always have good athletes but between Cam, Martinez, the WRs, and the TEs…there’s just no weakness on offense
It's not that I'm "down" on it, so much as I think it's the weakness of the defense. And by that I mean I believe it's young more than anything, not that it's truly weak. More like it's not a strength.

Edit: Agreed wrt to our offense. Not wrt to UF's.

Advertisement
It's not that I'm "down" on it, so much as I think it's the weakness of the defense. And by that I mean I believe it's young more than anything, not that it's truly weak. More like it's not a strength.

Edit: Agreed wrt to our offense. Not wrt to UF's.
Agreed. We’ve got some talent back there gotta stay healthy of course

Off topic, but I HATE HATE HATE the fact they put all those high end seats dead center at HRS, and they're empty more often than not. Those all have to be season ticket holders and big donors. They should be willing to have a concierge assigned to those tickets who can give them away to others if they don't show for the game. Like first class on an airline who doesn't show.

Off topic, but I HATE HATE HATE the fact they put all those high end seats dead center at HRS, and they're empty more often than not. Those all have to be season ticket holders and big donors. They should be willing to have a concierge assigned to those tickets who can give them away to others if they don't show for the game. Like first class on an airline who doesn't show.
Yeah. It’s a huge swath of seats that even when full, looks half empty because there’s so much space there. But it makes them a ton of money. One seat there likely costs more than a whole row of cheap seats. They have to cater to the wealthy. Especially in south Florida where there isn’t much of a middle class any more.

Yeah. It’s a huge swath of seats that even when full, looks half empty because there’s so much space there. But it makes them a ton of money. One seat there likely costs more than a whole row of cheap seats. They have to cater to the wealthy. Especially in south Florida where there isn’t much of a middle class any more.
You’re talking minimum $20k a season for those seats.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back