write up on canes from swamp 247

Advertisement
Lots of screen passes and underneath routes. They had one receiver average over 12.5 yards per catch last year and he’s in the NFL. Their returning leader in pretty much every category averaged 8.8 yards per catch. They don’t really trust Mertz to throw downfield and they really struggle to protect for more than a second or two. They were near the top in completion percentage and rating but it didn’t really translate into scoring for them. If they couldn’t run the ball, they couldn’t score.
Ok. I see Pearsall was their #1 WR and he is gone. Losing your top receiver is a huge deal and many a QB has not looked the same without their top guy. Advantage Canes.

They still get up for 3:30 big games. They had Bama on the ropes in 2021 and that was 3:30

Yeah. That was 2021, when they were 2-0 and were coming off of a good (COVID) season that was only marred by a thrown shoe.

They've had THREE sub-.500 seasons since then.

This ^^^ all day long! A lot of folks discounting the Gators - and I can't stand them - but I don't care how much of a perceived talent disparity, it's still a rivalry/pride game and they'll come to play. Reminds me of our game against FSU last year. They were favored at home and we came limping in with a TF QB and no real passing game and took them to the wire. I may also have some PTSD from hearing how good we should be and it not panning out...
I’ll just say one reason I’m so confident in this game is Napier

Miami has a better roster yes but I put a lot of stock into the head coach in college making sure kids are prepared for games like this. I’m not a fan of Mario on Gameday but I actually think he’s better than Napier. Richt was the only guy in the last twenty years that I routinely felt like we had an advantage more often than not.

Advertisement
I’ll just say one reason I’m so confident in this game is Napier

Miami has a better roster yes but I put a lot of stock into the head coach in college making sure kids are prepared for games like this. I’m not a fan of Mario on Gameday but I actually think he’s better than Napier. Richt was the only guy in the last twenty years that I routinely felt like we had an advantage more often than not.
Yea, I don't know how much better Mario is than Napier on gameday, but I do think he has the team ready to compete.

Yea, I don't know how much better Mario is than Napier on gameday, but I do think he has the team ready to compete.
The board has enough anti-Mario stuff going on I’m not gonna elaborate. I’ll just say that almost every week we play I feel like we are at a disadvantage in the games that matter

Napier was actually worse than Mario when it came to gameday coaching last year. His team had 8 men on the field multiple times, especially on STs. They hired some doofus from NE Patriots to come in and try and straighten that **** out.

Now that the NCAA passed the more coaches on the sideline rule, lets see which one of these ding dongs improves.

The board has enough anti-Mario stuff going on I’m not gonna elaborate. I’ll just say that almost every week we play I feel like we are at a disadvantage in the games that matter
I felt we had a disadvantage as well, but felt like the team competed in every game last year - with the exception of Rutgers.

Advertisement
I felt we had a disadvantage as well, but felt like the team competed in every game last year - with the exception of Rutgers.
I think we have a good coaching staff personally. A very good one. I’ll leave the Dawson debates for another day but I think we have the pieces in place. Mario’s initial coaching hires were a complete disaster but he quickly righted the ship

I have a feeling the turds O line is not going to be able to hang. The defense is going to feast and Cam is going to eat the racks up!

Bain, Mesidor and Kiko gonna make this nerd retire from football

As long as Mario/Dawson have a decent game plan, I expect us to win by 10+

?
They didn’t change DC’s lol. Austin Armstrong is still their guy.
Rumor has it the Auburn guy they brought in has just as much say.

The thing with UF is maybe they improve from being horrendous to bad but the players they brought in are truly not impact players. Depth? Sure. They’ll be a deeper team with less true freshman being relied on. I don’t see anyone on that roster with any capability to be a pass rusher Game 1 given where they were prior. The kid they are relying on has been hurt mostly his entire career.

I think we have a good coaching staff personally. A very good one. I’ll leave the Dawson debates for another day but I think we have the pieces in place. Mario’s initial coaching hires were a complete disaster but he quickly righted the ship

If Mario/Miami are gonna reach their investment returns and consistently make CFP, we will need an upgrade over Dawson.

Yesyesyes, folks are gonna immediately yell “but TVD……” but Dawson is average at best as a playcaller and QB recruiter. We shall see if he improves

Advertisement
Bain, Mesidor and Kiko gonna make this nerd retire from football

As long as Mario/Dawson have a decent game plan, I expect us to win by 10+

Will Ferrell Agree GIF

If Mario/Miami are gonna reach their investment returns and consistently make CFP, we will need an upgrade over Dawson.

Yesyesyes, folks are gonna immediately yell “but TVD……” but Dawson is average at best as a playcaller and QB recruiter. We shall see if he improves
I’m absolutely not getting into another Dawson debate

I’ll just say we have a lot of people with a lot to prove this year

There’s also a lot more coaches on the staff other than Dawson

I totally get the rivalry aspect, but based on talent position by position, we should win this game by at least 10 points. Key is to get the early lead and pressure them nonstop
Unfortunately Mario’s coaching could be the great equalizer.

Advertisement
This might just be totally irrelevant anecdotal nonsense - but Ohio State has lost exactly twice at the Shoe since 2020; Michigan in 2022 and 2021 against Oregon.

Napier cut his HC teeth as the big fish in the sun belt pond. While he was beating Louisiana Tech and Arkansas State, Cristobal somehow found enough gameday magic to win the Rose Bowl.

I get it, MTSU and losing by a million to Duke and GT last year and... are all terrible looks, but the man did not forget how to coach. He's got his ingredients now, so we've got to let him cook.

This might just be totally irrelevant anecdotal nonsense - but Ohio State has lost exactly twice at the Shoe since 2020; Michigan in 2022 and 2021 against Oregon.

Napier cut his HC teeth as the big fish in the sun belt pond. While he was beating Louisiana Tech and Arkansas State, Cristobal somehow found enough gameday magic to win the Rose Bowl.

I get it, MTSU and losing by a million to Duke and GT last year and... are all terrible looks, but the man did not forget how to coach. He's got his ingredients now, so we've got to let him cook.
I'd love to let him "cook"! I felt we had some pieces in place last year, especially early in the season. I do think Mario will have the team ready to compete but also worry about some of the in-game decisions he may make. He's been an assistant to some of the best and also been a HC for way too long to do some of the things he does during games.

Hard to find a perfect HC who is good at everything. You almost have to take your pick at one of great recruiter , play-caller, gameday coach, player development.

With Mario, his recruiting excellence makes up for a lot of his other deficiencies.

Advertisement
Back