write up on canes from swamp 247

THE SWAMP can't tackle, pass, catch or run.
I still remember the dead silence September 7, 2002 when Maurice "MO" Sykes intercepted at the 2 and ran it back for a TD.

I was in the lower level on the other side of the end zone as Mo was running towards me. One of my personal favorite plays in Canes history. The swamp was in shock and silent.

Advertisement
I also forgot to mention that Stricklin (UF AD) is reducing stadium capacity in the upcoming renovation. Minimum will be 10,000 but he actually wants to reduce it by 30,000 seats. Now why would they be reducing capacity if they always sold out their games? Take a wild guess....
It’s because they want to make more room for luxury boxes. There’s way more money there than there is in $20 cheap seats. Live sports is getting away from just cramming as many people into bleachers as possible. They’re trying to sell a premium product now at a significantly higher price point. It’s why people want roofs and air conditioning, high definition replay screens, comfortable seating and premium food and drink options.

Of those 14 wins, how many were against P4 teams that finished the season with winning records?

At least 6 of them are some combo of McNeese St. and Louisiana Monroe.
Of those 14 wins, one is against a ranked opponent. Last year they beat an overrated Tennessee team that at the time was ranked 11th but finished the season out of the top 25. They also lost to Arkansas (last place in the SEC) and FSU (with no quarterback) at home so a lot of that home field luster isn’t there anymore.

How many years did we say how talented we were on paper?
Yes but none of those years did we have a true Div 1 QB who is being talked about in the heisman race. Most posters don't seem to realize how much a proven QB can change everything.

Advertisement
Yes but none of those years did we have a true Div 1 QB who is being talked about in the heisman race. Most posters don't seem to realize how much a proven QB can change everything.
I'm not talking about us. I'm talking about how the gator looks on paper. They grabbed Cormani because he's a 5 star and he's done nothing in college to show he's worth it. So saying they're good on paper is just like all the years we were good on paper because we had 5 stars like Pope and Lingard that made us look good.

I'm not talking about us. I'm talking about how the gator looks on paper. They grabbed Cormani because he's a 5 star and he's done nothing in college to show he's worth it. So saying they're good on paper is just like all the years we were good on paper because we had 5 stars like Pope and Lingard that made us look good.
“Good” is all relative imo.

Do they have some good position groups or good players? Yes, you’d be a blind homer to dismiss this. It’s not like they have a sub 20 recruiting class, it still usually ends up top 15 in some capacity. They have a very good WR in Wilson with star/first round potential, + a healthy Badger forms a very good 1-2 duo…and Mertz is serviceable for a QB (albeit limited imo). They have a very diverse rushing attack with good college RBs and will use that early and often against us, knowing Mertz can’t consistently win third and longs.

They have decent DTs (the Memphis transfer we lost out on from 2022 + Slackman from Penn are decent on paper), and their corners are fine. They’re better than middle of the road ACC teams like GT, UNC, Syracuse.

DE is depleted, their OL was very poor in pass-pro in 2023, and their LB’s are mid. They’re on the level of a Louisville or SMU this year imo. Can they put together a good performance? Sure - they beat Tenn last year and should have beat Missouri on the road. But they can also get torched on defense like Arky and UK did to them. And similar to us, their season is very emotionally-charged and hinges on momentum. We tend to lose and then spiral, they do the same thing. That’s why week 1 is so important to both programs - the loser is on the hot seat of sorts (obviously Napier far more than Mario, but make no mistake - lose to the Gator, and Mario easily loses half this fanbase).

This is a team we should beat, no matter the venue…8.5/10 times imo. A loss would be very disappointing. We have the QB, OL, RB, WR advantage, as well as the DT, DE, LB advantage. Coaching isn’t even a disadvantage, it’s two below average gameday coaches that are desperate for success, and imo we have significantly better coordinators.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'll take a 1 point win. Its the first game of the season on the road. $h!t happen. Fumbles, bad hand offs, Muff punts. All kinda stuff. If they havent fixed the run defense though. It could be bad. But im not counting on it. Get out of there with a win, they will be terrible in subsequent games.

Well they’re losing those games on the road so my point that they play better at home remains.
They aren't exactly losing to McNeese on the road, which is why it seemed helpful to point out that their home record is a little inflated.

They were bad last year. Full stop.

That they went 4-2 at home doesn't necessarily mean they play "better" at home, just that they play McNeese, Charlotte and Vandy at home (they probably win those three on the road, right?). Let's just not pull a Tennessee.

“Good” is all relative imo.

Do they have some good position groups or good players? Yes, you’d be a blind homer to dismiss this. It’s not like they have a sub 20 recruiting class, it still usually ends up top 15 in some capacity. They have a very good WR in Wilson with star/first round potential, + a healthy Badger forms a very good 1-2 duo…and Mertz is serviceable for a QB (albeit limited imo). They have a very diverse rushing attack with good college RBs and will use that early and often against us, knowing Mertz can’t consistently win third and longs.

They have decent DTs (the Memphis transfer we lost out on from 2022 + Slackman from Penn are decent on paper), and their corners are fine. They’re better than middle of the road ACC teams like GT, UNC, Syracuse.

DE is depleted, their OL was very poor in pass-pro in 2023, and their LB’s are mid. They’re on the level of a Louisville or SMU this year imo. Can they put together a good performance? Sure - they beat Tenn last year and should have beat Missouri on the road. But they can also get torched on defense like Arky and UK did to them. And similar to us, their season is very emotionally-charged and hinges on momentum. We tend to lose and then spiral, they do the same thing. That’s why week 1 is so important to both programs - the loser is on the hot seat of sorts (obviously Napier far more than Mario, but make no mistake - lose to the Gator, and Mario easily loses half this fanbase).

This is a team we should beat, no matter the venue…8.5/10 times imo. A loss would be very disappointing. We have the QB, OL, RB, WR advantage, as well as the DT, DE, LB advantage. Coaching isn’t even a disadvantage, it’s two below average gameday coaches that are desperate for success, and imo we have significantly better coordinators.
Outside of their "good" WRs, I feel confident with our guys vs their other "good" players.

Losing the 4 starting DBs from last year, shouldn't stunt the growth of our defense as a unit. Also, I don't think losing James Williams, Jaden Davis and Te'cory Couch is anything to panic over. Sure it would be lovely to have proven guys to replace all of them and Kam, however Powell and Hill are upgrades over Williams and Davis/Couch.

Our OL is better than their DT & DEs.

Our TEs are better than their LBs.

Our WRs are better than their DBs.

Our DL is better than their OL.

Our LBs are on par with their RBs.

Our QB is lightyears better than theirs.

Advertisement
Outside of their "good" WRs, I feel confident with our guys vs their other "good" players.

Losing the 4 starting DBs from last year, shouldn't stunt the growth of our defense as a unit. Also, I don't think losing James Williams, Jaden Davis and Te'cory Couch is anything to panic over. Sure it would be lovely to have proven guys to replace all of them and Kam, however Powell and Hill are upgrades over Williams and Davis/Couch.

I really look forward to the front 7 putting the work on their protections. Brought a tear to my eye seeing Bain push tackles backwards last year on teams and he has more help now.

i have a similar assessment ... this comes down to coaching ... will mc, guidry, and dawson get out schemed ... confident that guidry won't ... not sure on dawson ... but our talent is overwhelming imo

I have not seen the UF QB play but QB rating wise he was #17 last year. Not too shabby.

Advertisement
i have a similar assessment ... this comes down to coaching ... will mc, guidry, and dawson get out schemed ... confident that guidry won't ... not sure on dawson ... but our talent is overwhelming imo
I don't think Dawson. Not with this offensive power. Don't turn the ball over and we're hanging 35+

I have not seen the UF QB play but QB rating wise he was #17 last year. Not too shabby.
Lots of screen passes and underneath routes. They had one receiver average over 12.5 yards per catch last year and he’s in the NFL. Their returning leader in pretty much every category averaged 8.8 yards per catch. They don’t really trust Mertz to throw downfield and they really struggle to protect for more than a second or two. They were near the top in completion percentage and rating but it didn’t really translate into scoring for them. If they couldn’t run the ball, they couldn’t score.

Advertisement
Back