To the "We are gonna destroy FSU crowd"

Our defense isn't "So BAD." Louisville was 3-12 on 3rd downs. They had 106 rushing yards. 43 came on 1 play. The other 63 yards came on 20 carries.

Everyone just looks at the final score and puts the 45 points on the defense. Yes, the defense gave up some chunk plays. That was mostly due to poor tackling. However, the special teams gave up a kickoff TD and allowed a fake punt to extend a driver that resulted in a TD. The defense had done their job stopping the drive before the fake punt. Another TD came after the Fletcher fumble around the Miami 30.

Maybe the defense could have forced 2 FGs, but I put 21 of Louisville's 45 points on the turnover and special teams. Even with the fumble, If the special teams does their job, its a 52-24 game with under 5 minutes left in the game. Louisville adds a late TD when Miami was playing prevent defense.

The defense needs to tackle and cover better, but the game could/should have been different. Without the special teams blunders, we were on the verge of separating by 3 TDs and blowing out Louisville.

The telling sign will be the FSU game. FSU hasn't scored 16 points in a game all season. This game should be a blowout. I don't care that it's a rivalry. It should be worse than the Florida game which was a rivalry game. FSU will play hard and compete early, but they can't stop the Miami offense. Once Miami builds a 3 TD lead, FSU will quit when they realize they can't win. That's who they've been all season.
The thing is in conference games we have been saying if this, if that every game. VT we said it, Cal we said it.. Now we doing it again, it seems like a pattern and the defense will allow fsu offense to probably have a better output that they have this season, they did it for cal.

Advertisement
The thing is in conference games we have been saying if this, if that every game. VT we said it, Cal we said it.. Now we doing it again, it seems like a pattern and the defense will allow fsu offense to probably have a better output that they have this season, they did it for cal.
As I stated, the defense basically gave up 24 points to Louisville. That's with a late 4th quarter TD. Louisville has the 2nd best offense in the ACC. I'm not making excuses. The defense has issues with pass coverage. That includes our LBs in pass coverage.

I don't see FSU scoring a lot of points. Their OL can't hold up, which helps our secondary in coverage. They can't run the ball. They certainly can't match our offensive production. Maybe FSU can break 20 on us, but we're going to score 50+.

They don't have a better defense. They allowed 43/104 3rd down conversion and 5/9 on 4th down. We are 26/87 and 6/10, respectively.

View attachment 308184
View attachment 308183

View attachment 308185
They have only allowed one team to score 30+ points against them all season. Are they a juggernaut defense? No, I never said that. But the only team to really destroy their D was SMU.

On paper and statistically, we should be able to murk them. But after 3 weeks of close games in ACC play, our defense has allowed 34, 38 and 45 points. Cal’s terrible offense put up 38 on our dudes.

At the end of the day, points allowed is the biggest metric. We are better than them statistically (YPG, PYG, RYG), but we have not been as good at PPG against stronger competition.

They have only played Memphis out of conference, a G5 team, and though they lost, only allowed 20 points. They held Clemson, which has been on fire offensively, to only 29 points.

Our D feasted on weak competition earlier in the season, although the Gaytors have improved as the season has gone on. FAMU, Ball State and South Florida were all cupcakes.

Theoretically, we should be able to murk them. But games aren’t played on paper. Last season they were supposed to murk us, and we almost beat them with a True Freshman QB. Rivalry games can often be unpredictable.

I see a bunch of people are expecting UM to blow out the Noles and I hope you are all correct and I would be elated. This is a rivarly game, there will be no quit in the Noles, and I anticipate a much closer game. I hope I'm dead wrong.

What's the basis for saying their D is "much better" than ours? We are better in yds/game allowed, MUCH better in rush yds/ game allowed, only 14 yds/game worse in pass yds/game allowed, and better in pts/ game allowed. Neither team has a particularly strong defense. They are better at pass defense, we are better at run defense.
We feasted on cupcakes 3 out of our first 4 games. FAMU, Ball State and South Florida are bad teams, so we looked way better on D than we really are.

Giving up 34, 38 and 45 the last 3 games in ACC play doesn’t speak to us having a better defense, at least not in PPG. We give up more explosive plays than almost any other team in the nation.

In turn, the Holes have only played one out-of-conference foe, Memphis, which is a G5 school. Every other opponent has been an ACC team, and only SMU murked them offensively. Even a hot Clemson offense only scored 29 on them.

Games aren’t won on paper. Should we be able to rout these fools? Yes. If our defense shows up, we will.

Advertisement
We feasted on cupcakes 3 out of our first 4 games. FAMU, Ball State and South Florida are bad teams, so we looked way better on D than we really are.

Giving up 34, 38 and 45 the last 3 games in ACC play doesn’t speak to us having a better defense, at least not in PPG. We give up more explosive plays than almost any other team in the nation.

In turn, the Holes have only played one out-of-conference foe, Memphis, which is a G5 school. Every other opponent has been an ACC team, and only SMU murked them offensively. Even a hot Clemson offense only scored 29 on them.

Games aren’t won on paper. Should we be able to rout these fools? Yes. If our defense shows up, we will.
Are the Noles better on defense? Possibly, but nothing they have done shows them to be substantially better. Their defense is just a little more on the good side of mediocre while ours is more on the bad side. But they are not a strong defensive team

Are the Noles better on defense? Possibly, but nothing they have done shows them to be substantially better. Their defense is just a little more on the good side of mediocre while ours is more on the bad side. But they are not a strong defensive team
I agree with that. They are definitely by no means a juggernaut, and can be had. If Cam and our boyz play like they can, we should be able to win big.

Advertisement
They have only allowed one team to score 30+ points against them all season. Are they a juggernaut defense? No, I never said that. But the only team to really destroy their D was SMU.

On paper and statistically, we should be able to murk them. But after 3 weeks of close games in ACC play, our defense has allowed 34, 38 and 45 points. Cal’s terrible offense put up 38 on our dudes.

At the end of the day, points allowed is the biggest metric. We are better than them statistically (YPG, PYG, RYG), but we have not been as good at PPG against stronger competition.

They have only played Memphis out of conference, a G5 team, and though they lost, only allowed 20 points. They held Clemson, which has been on fire offensively, to only 29 points.

Our D feasted on weak competition earlier in the season, although the Gaytors have improved as the season has gone on. FAMU, Ball State and South Florida were all cupcakes.

Theoretically, we should be able to murk them. But games aren’t played on paper. Last season they were supposed to murk us, and we almost beat them with a True Freshman QB. Rivalry games can often be unpredictable.
Clemson has played App St, NS St., Stanford, WF, and UVA. None of those are great defenses by any stretch of the imagination. Clemson managed to get a single field goal against UGA.

Clemson plays Louisville and VT next, so those will be interesting.

Our defense isn't "So BAD." Louisville was 3-12 on 3rd downs. They had 106 rushing yards. 43 came on 1 play. The other 63 yards came on 20 carries.

Everyone just looks at the final score and puts the 45 points on the defense. Yes, the defense gave up some chunk plays. That was mostly due to poor tackling. However, the special teams gave up a kickoff TD and allowed a fake punt to extend a driver that resulted in a TD. The defense had done their job stopping the drive before the fake punt. Another TD came after the Fletcher fumble around the Miami 30.

Maybe the defense could have forced 2 FGs, but I put 21 of Louisville's 45 points on the turnover and special teams. Even with the fumble, If the special teams does their job, its a 52-24 game with under 5 minutes left in the game. Louisville adds a late TD when Miami was playing prevent defense.

The defense needs to tackle and cover better, but the game could/should have been different. Without the special teams blunders, we were on the verge of separating by 3 TDs and blowing out Louisville.

The telling sign will be the FSU game. FSU hasn't scored 16 points in a game all season. This game should be a blowout. I don't care that it's a rivalry. It should be worse than the Florida game which was a rivalry game. FSU will play hard and compete early, but they can't stop the Miami offense. Once Miami builds a 3 TD lead, FSU will quit when they realize they can't win. That's who they've been all season.
I agree with all of this and I've been saying it since VT. The defense is actually playing solid for a majority of the game and is still effective against the run.

We played the screen game more effectively against Louisville and they even showed some screen designs we haven't seen this year. A KR TD isn't on the defense, the fake punt isn't on the defense, the offense gave Louisville the ball at the 23 yard line on the fumble, and even their last scoring drive had some questionable penalties that let them come down and score to make it 45. Defense could have easily only been responsible for 24 points. We HAVE TO figure out how to stop the TDs and force field goals. That is priority 1 in playing bend and don't break defense.

BUT

It keeps coming down to missed tackles and a big play here or there. Those still lose games. Yes, it's easier to cleanup mistakes than it is just repetitively getting gashed for 6-7-8 yards a play. We sort of do in the passing game but run defense is solid and just giving 1 big run a game consistently. Dominant numbers outside of that. The pass defense continues to give up the short and underneath stuff and then allow it to become 20-30-40 yard gains on a regular basis. At some point if it isn't fixed, it is who you are and we're getting to that point. It happens once, twice is a concern, and 3 times is a trend.

Maybe 20 getting more playing time in games 8-12 and our schedule help some. Then, getting Damari back for Syracuse can be the final fix. Won't be fixed to a good unit but if it becomes serviceable... Miami is the team no one wants to play in December/January.

Also, in my experience, tackling doesn't improve in November. It gets colder, teams get more banged up, nagging injuries, and wearing down... and it gets worse.

Advertisement

I get what you are saying about the defense. But what about the offense? They have proved that literally no one can stop them. Cal was the best defense we faced. The only thing that stopped our offense in that game was ourselves. Cam learned from that. VT was the same story. Louisville has the same level of defense as FSU. They have a good pass rush and that is about it. Mario is going to run the score up on these guys for many reasons. We will score no less than 42 points and that would be if FSU gets a couple sacks on 3rd down to stop us. If that doesn't happen we drop 50 on these guys.

I agree with all of this and I've been saying it since VT. The defense is actually playing solid for a majority of the game and is still effective against the run.

We played the screen game more effectively against Louisville and they even showed some screen designs we haven't seen this year. A KR TD isn't on the defense, the fake punt isn't on the defense, the offense gave Louisville the ball at the 23 yard line on the fumble, and even their last scoring drive had some questionable penalties that let them come down and score to make it 45. Defense could have easily only been responsible for 24 points. We HAVE TO figure out how to stop the TDs and force field goals. That is priority 1 in playing bend and don't break defense.

BUT

It keeps coming down to missed tackles and a big play here or there. Those still lose games. Yes, it's easier to cleanup mistakes than it is just repetitively getting gashed for 6-7-8 yards a play. We sort of do in the passing game but run defense is solid and just giving 1 big run a game consistently. Dominant numbers outside of that. The pass defense continues to give up the short and underneath stuff and then allow it to become 20-30-40 yard gains on a regular basis. At some point if it isn't fixed, it is who you are and we're getting to that point. It happens once, twice is a concern, and 3 times is a trend.

Maybe 20 getting more playing time in games 8-12 and our schedule help some. Then, getting Damari back for Syracuse can be the final fix. Won't be fixed to a good unit but if it becomes serviceable... Miami is the team no one wants to play in December/January.

Also, in my experience, tackling doesn't improve in November. It gets colder, teams get more banged up, nagging injuries, and wearing down... and it gets worse.
All good points here. Believe it or not we are still ranked 21 in total defense.

My question is are we really running bend don't break defense? On the first Ville TD it was 2nd and 2. We run a stunt with Baron and he completely opens up the left side of the field. Had he just stayed in his lane that play gets bottled up. Not sure why any defense would run a stunt on 2nd and 2. And that certainly does not spell bend don't break defense. That play call was total head scratcher.

This game is the fat chick at the bar for our defense badly in need of a slump buster. We get the two worst offenses in the conference in back to back weeks and everyone will be back to thinking they’re good again.

Advertisement
In rivalry games anything can happen of course but this Noles team is absolutely atrocious.

If we cannot beat these fools going away this year then we will never clobber them.
It is time to pay them back for the last few seasons.

All good points here. Believe it or not we are still ranked 21 in total defense.

My question is are we really running bend don't break defense? On the first Ville TD it was 2nd and 2. We run a stunt with Baron and he completely opens up the left side of the field. Had he just stayed in his lane that play gets bottled up. Not sure why any defense would run a stunt on 2nd and 2. And that certainly does not spell bend don't break defense. That play call was total head scratcher.
I mean not intentionally running a bend don't break. We're playing aggressive.

We need to buckle up in the red zone though and stop allowing TDs at such a high clip. If that alone regresses towards an average number to finish the year, we'll be in good shape. Add in improving tackling and preventing big plays as frequently as we're allowing them and we'd be cooking.

I don't think anyone else challenges us like Louisville from a scheme/personnel perspective until Syracuse. It should look better in the next 4 games. By then, Zaquan having more experience and Damari being back would be huge for that game. Their scheme is not as elite as Brohm. GT to a lesser extent on personnel but a better scheme than Syracuse.

Advertisement
Back