Do we still want Larranaga fired or forced to retire?

Says he doesn’t whine then proceeds to look at every post i made in the thread and whines about it LMAO you aint helping your cause, you lost all credibility when you said i had to post more to have criticism of coach L

And you say you aint shook when you just made a long *** post about what i said in the thread LMAO bruh you aint helping your case in that department

You have been trying to prove a point about my “conspiracy” when you keep digging yourself more and more into the hole

Why no periods? Is your tangent complete? The suspense is killing me.

This was fun, see you in 2019.

Advertisement
In all of these discussions about Coach L and Miami basketball, no one has been able to explain why we've hit our ceiling as a program. People are acting as though #6 seeds and occasional Sweet 16 appearances are the absolute maximum we can hope for. Having the foresight to hire a young Jay Wright or Mark Few would lead to us being a perennial minimum-second-round program.

Every sport has examples of programs that were beyond terrible but became contenders with a great young coach. Not us, though. No way the University of Miami could ever be great at basketball.

Just WHO do you want us to get to replace Coach L? This isn’t exactly a primo program and won’t attract anyone nearly as good.

. Haith and Clark still around? Think Pitino is absolutely radioactive at this point and Frank Martin is happy at South Carolina. Ridiculous to even think about another coach.

Just WHO do you want us to get to replace Coach L? This isn’t exactly a primo program and won’t attract. Anyone nearly as good. Haith and Clark still around? Think Pitino is absolutely radioactive at this point and Frank Martin is happy at South Carolina. Ridiculous to even think about another coach.

I like Frank Martin. I also like that he is from here.

Frank has been at South Carolina since 2012-13. Last year was great (tremendous) but that was an outlier more than the norm. Sindarius Thornwell was a great player.

I'd like him to perform better in the SEC because a conference record of 45–63 is pretty bad. In addition, 1 NCAAT in a span of 6 years isn't too good. Keep in mind coaches like Mark Fox (UGA), Billy Kennedy (TAMpon), Mike Anderson (Ark) and Andy Kennedy (Miss and Fired) have all performed better in conference during that time and nobody wants any of them.

If you compare Martin to Coach L since 2012-13:

Frank Martin:

- Best Season: 26–11 (12–6) FINAL FOUR
- Overall Record: 112–89 (.557)
- Conference Record: 45–63 (.417)
- NCAAT Appearances: 1
- Best Conference Finish: T-3rd

Coach L:

- Best Season: 29-7 (15–3) Sweet 16/Conference Championship
- Overall Record: 141–64 (.691)
- Conference Record: 66–42 (.611)
- NCAAT Appearances: 3 (this year will be 4)
- Best Conference Finish: 1st

Side note: Perry Clark is a coach on Martin's staff.

Advertisement
In all of these discussions about Coach L and Miami basketball, no one has been able to explain why we've hit our ceiling as a program. People are acting as though #6 seeds and occasional Sweet 16 appearances are the absolute maximum we can hope for. Having the foresight to hire a young Jay Wright or Mark Few would lead to us being a perennial minimum-second-round program.

Every sport has examples of programs that were beyond terrible but became contenders with a great young coach. Not us, though. No way the University of Miami could ever be great at basketball.

A young Jay Wright or Mark Few wouldn't stay here long, and why should he...This market has shown time and time again that they won't consistently support the program, even when they are getting a quality product. Mark Few is a crazy outlier, he consistently turns down major jobs, because he refuses to leave Spokane. Jay is at a Villanova program that experienced significant success before him, and he's treated as a god. It's a pretty good gig up there, and he has a great local recruiting pool.

Even if Miami hit on a young coach, that managed to consistently exceed what L does, the odds are pretty good he would be gone in pretty short order. The odds of Miami not only landing a young coach that could consistently succeed in the toughest conference in the country, but also holding on to him aren't good.

Couldn't agree more Jagr. All the L nuthuggers think just because he is better then Haith and Clark we can never do better and as soon as he is gone we will start winning only 1 ACC game a year. It is actually embarassing how little faith our school has in our ability to build their program. I dont think people realize how big of an advantage we have with our location. Every young athlete would LOVE to spend 1-5 years in Miami over any other school. The only school that can compare is UCLA.

A young Jay Wright or Mark Few wouldn't stay here long, and why should he...This market has shown time and time again that they won't consistently support the program, even when they are getting a quality product. Mark Few is a crazy outlier, he consistently turns down major jobs, because he refuses to leave Spokane. Jay is at a Villanova program that experienced significant success before him, and he's treated as a god. It's a pretty good gig up there, and he has a great local recruiting pool.

Even if Miami hit on a young coach, that managed to consistently exceed what L does, the odds are pretty good he would be gone in pretty short order. The odds of Miami not only landing a young coach that could consistently succeed in the toughest conference in the country, but also holding on to him aren't good.

First of all that is total BS that Miami fans don't support the team. Whenever we are ranked the stadium sells out. Even UNC had a drop in attendance that year that they didn't make the NCAA tournament. Every top team actually loses attendees when they are unranked. Thats the way the fan base goes. Also, that means Miami needs to open up their pocket books. We should be able to keep up with payments besides the top 10 schools or so.

We sell out our seasons. Like, literally, sell every ticket for every game.

It's crazy to see that people believe the University of Miami is just a stepping stone to better programs. Absolutely absurd. What do you people expect when our 70 year old coach retires? Throw our hands up because "we can't get anyone good to come here"?????

Advertisement

It's crazy to see that people believe the University of Miami is just a stepping stone to better programs. Absolutely absurd. What do you people expect when our 70 year old coach retires? Throw our hands up because "we can't get anyone good to come here"?????
I don't think anyone with half a brain is saying that. Caputo is one of the better assistants in the conference, but I'd like to see him be a HC at a smaller school before we tag him as L's successor. Look at Wisconsin. Greg Gard had never been a head coach at any level and they have become one of the worst teams in the Big 10. Eric Konkol has done a pretty good job at Louisiana Tech and would be a better option if we wanted to go that route.

Fact is, the ACC is the best basketball conference in the country and we will never be Duke or UNC, just the same way other schools will never match our football legacy. We were the #3 seed in the conference this year and i'm not understanding why striving to be a perennial Top 20 program is so bad.

Fact is, the ACC is the best basketball conference in the country and we will never be Duke or UNC, just the same way other schools will never match our football legacy. We were the #3 seed in the conference this year and i'm not understanding why striving to be a perennial Top 20 program is so bad.

Whoa, if we were a perennial top 20 program I think most people would be ecstatic. But we are far from being a perennial top 20 program.

Remember that time Phat Tony Hernandez tried to make a powerplay while he was interim AD and offered the job to Harvard's (something he probably thought would inpress Dahhhhna) Tommy Amaker?

Good times! Kinda sad we didn't get to see how that would've worked out.

The ONLY guy ever seriously mentioned for the job here that I'd say is in Larranaga's league is Frank Martin. And I think he's too much of a big personality to have existed here without the clowns in the media and the NCAA eventually trying to really take us down.

Since neither side, regardless of the actual reason, will concede on the subject. How about we put a moratorium on all fire Coach L / Lifetime Extension talk until after the season?

At the end of the season, for those that actually want to discuss it, let's attempt to have a structured discussion on the matter.

For those that want the Lifetime Extension, here are the questions:

1. Do you think Coach has hit a ceiling or can he do more at Miami?

2. What makes you think that?

3. What do you expect from Coach L going forward?

4. If Coach L decided to step down, who is on your list to replace him?

-----------------------------------------------

For those that want to fire Coach L, here are the questions:

1. What were your expectations before the season (2017-18)?

2. Did you expectations change, for whatever reason, as the season transpired?

3. Where did you expect to be after 7 years with a coach?

4. If we fired Coach L, who is on your list to replace him to get us to the next step?

-----------------------------------------------

I think it goes without saying, when replacing Coach L, let's be realistic. We're not going to get Coach K or Izzo or someone like Pitino (toxic).

Is this fair?

Advertisement
I don't think anyone with half a brain is saying that. Caputo is one of the better assistants in the conference, but I'd like to see him be a HC at a smaller school before we tag him as L's successor. Look at Wisconsin. Greg Gard had never been a head coach at any level and they have become one of the worst teams in the Big 10. Eric Konkol has done a pretty good job at Louisiana Tech and would be a better option if we wanted to go that route.

If Caputo is the coach in waiting then we are ****ed. Remember that game he coached earlier this season when L had the flu? That was a nightmare.

Couldn't agree more Jagr. All the L nuthuggers think just because he is better then Haith and Clark we can never do better and as soon as he is gone we will start winning only 1 ACC game a year. It is actually embarassing how little faith our school has in our ability to build their program. I dont think people realize how big of an advantage we have with our location. Every young athlete would LOVE to spend 1-5 years in Miami over any other school. The only school that can compare is UCLA.

This is so incredibly dumb.

Coach L isn't just better than Haith or Clark, he's by far the most successful coach in the entire history of the program. He's widely regarded as a top-10-15 coach in the country. He's the best recruiter we've had and his on the court results are the best we've ever had.

Comparing us to UCLA, the winningest college basketball program of all time, is special needs stupid. If location is SO important, why do schools like Kentucky and Kansas dominate? Talk about delusional.

It's dumb to continue to argue. No other fanbase would have "fans" arguing that the best coach in program history, who just finished 3rd in the ACC, is a disappointment.

Then again Gatorhater and Jagr aren't really fans. Both guys spend 6 hours a day on here complaining about every aspect of the school. I can't imagine how much your life has to suck to be that sad and miserable all the time

This is so incredibly dumb.

Coach L isn't just better than Haith or Clark, he's by far the most successful coach in the entire history of the program. He's widely regarded as a top-10-15 coach in the country. He's the best recruiter we've had and his on the court results are the best we've ever had.

Comparing us to UCLA, the winningest college basketball program of all time, is special needs stupid. If location is SO important, why do schools like Kentucky and Kansas dominate? Talk about delusional.

It's dumb to continue to argue. No other fanbase would have "fans" arguing that the best coach in program history, who just finished 3rd in the ACC, is a disappointment.

Then again Gatorhater and Jagr aren't really fans. Both guys spend 6 hours a day on here complaining about every aspect of the school. I can't imagine how much your life has to suck to be that sad and miserable all the time

Why? Because they have the history of sending people to the NBA. I am not comparing us to UCLA I am saying besides them we have the best campus. If you dont think thats an advantage you are a complete moron. Just because he is the best in history doesn't mean ****. Me not a fan? I gauruntee I have been to more games then you have. I am a much bigger fan then you that is why I get so upset when we lose to teams that we shouldnt lose too. I want whats best for the team unlike you who just likes to suck the coaches ****.

Advertisement
Wow. Just can't believe certain posters on here. First, lets talk record. Third in the ACC regular season in a conference that includes Duke, and UNC, two of the biggest basketball powerhouses in the history of college basketball. Throw in NC State, Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame, Virginia and you are talking about programs that have had tremendous success in the past 5 years. So while some whine that we do not dominate our conference, the bottom line is even being competitive is tough in the ACC nevertheless being in the upper third of the conference.

Lets talk recruiting. Chris Lykes, Lonnie Walker, Huell, Anthony Lawrence, Warderburger, Visilovich, Uzundu, Newton, and Brown is an incredibly talented group. That group is deeper than Duke and UNC who have the superstars but not necessarily 9 guys who can come in and contribute every game. Who else can compete against coach K signing the top three players almost every year?

Let's talk class. Who better represents their university than Coach L? He is a basketball coach who is as comfortable teaching X's and O's as he is teaching philosophy and sports psychology. Let's talk record. 4th, 1st, 10th, 6th, 2nd, 7th, and 3rd. That is an average of finishing 4th in the conference every year. 7 years in Miami and 4 NCAA appearances. This isn't some 70 year old guy riding out his days on previous accomplishments. This is man who is busting his butt every year, every game to make this team the best it can be. Let's talk NCAA rules. The man does not cheat. Never has and never will. When we were under NCAA probation we knew he would not do anything to put the death penalty on the table and he didn't. He is an honest man who just wouldn't ever do that.

Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Will he win a natty at UM? I have no clue. This current group of players is capable of going far. But basketball is different than football. With only five guys on the court at a time, unless all five are robots, you are going to have good and bad days. No one goes undefeated in basketball. But I think even if Lonnie and Brown leave next year this is still a team that can compete for the ACC title and go deep in the tourney. As a fan, that is all you can hope for in college basketball. If you can't deal with that then maybe following college basketball is just not your thing.

Wow. Just can't believe certain posters on here. First, lets talk record. Third in the ACC regular season in a conference that includes Duke, and UNC, two of the biggest basketball powerhouses in the history of college basketball. Throw in NC State, Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame, Virginia and you are talking about programs that have had tremendous success in the past 5 years. So while some whine that we do not dominate our conference, the bottom line is even being competitive is tough in the ACC nevertheless being in the upper third of the conference.

Lets talk recruiting. Chris Lykes, Lonnie Walker, Huell, Anthony Lawrence, Warderburger, Visilovich, Uzundu, Newton, and Brown is an incredibly talented group. That group is deeper than Duke and UNC who have the superstars but not necessarily 9 guys who can come in and contribute every game. Who else can compete against coach K signing the top three players almost every year?

Let's talk class. Who better represents their university than Coach L? He is a basketball coach who is as comfortable teaching X's and O's as he is teaching philosophy and sports psychology. Let's talk record. 4th, 1st, 10th, 6th, 2nd, 7th, and 3rd. That is an average of finishing 4th in the conference every year. 7 years in Miami and 4 NCAA appearances. This isn't some 70 year old guy riding out his days on previous accomplishments. This is man who is busting his butt every year, every game to make this team the best it can be. Let's talk NCAA rules. The man does not cheat. Never has and never will. When we were under NCAA probation we knew he would not do anything to put the death penalty on the table and he didn't. He is an honest man who just wouldn't ever do that.

Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Will he win a natty at UM? I have no clue. This current group of players is capable of going far. But basketball is different than football. With only five guys on the court at a time, unless all five are robots, you are going to have good and bad days. No one goes undefeated in basketball. But I think even if Lonnie and Brown leave next year this is still a team that can compete for the ACC title and go deep in the tourney. As a fan, that is all you can hope for in college basketball. If you can't deal with that then maybe following college basketball is just not your thing.
Okay so when you say Clemson is a team that's had success the past 5 years you confuse me. This is like the first time in many years that they've been good. I'd put Syracuse in there instead because they almost always make the tourney and sometimes do go deep. And it's spelled Vasiljevic lol but other than that... This was a spot on post. I agree with the majority if not all of it.

Yes, we sell out in regards to season tickets, but season tickets sold, and ASSES IN THE SEATS are two different things altogether. As someone who has had season tickets ever since my sophomore year of undergrad, which was over a decade ago, I can tell you that unless it's a big name opponent, attendance can be spotty, even if the team is **** good. Compare that to some of the other programs that are consistently good, it's almost a joke.

I expect when L retires for Miami to go and get someone like Konkol, a guy that knows the unique challenges of this job, and is willing to take a chance here. That said, if he finds major success at Miami, I wouldn't be shocked if he was poached by someone either. This isn't a destination job, it's a good one(For the right kind of coach), but it isn't even top 5 in the ACC, much less top 20 nationally.

This isn't a destination job, it's a good one(For the right kind of coach), but it isn't even top 5 in the ACC, much less top 20 nationally.

The right coach turns it into a top job. As recently as 2002, people said that Vanderbilt could never be any good at baseball. And baseball has the worse scholarship situation of any sport, especially at a private school.

Look at Gonzaga in 1990 and tell me why they were able to become a contender in basketball. How is Wichita State able to be on such a strong seven-year run.

Blaming everything on "unique challenges" is the lazy way out.

Advertisement
Back