Baseball: Manhattan Series

It has been said at the end of every year for the past seven years, but you missed all of that.

Which was stupid in 2014 and idiotic in 2015.

Except that in 2014 we scored 2 runs in 3 games at home against a #2 seed.

2015 - thank goodness for upsets so we could be the first team in modern history to avoid a #1 or #2 seed until Omaha.

Advertisement
It's not comical to point out that the past 7+ seasons have been the worst 7+ year stretch for Miami baseball in over 40 years.

Yeah because those 40 years were perhaps the most elite 40 years in the history of the sport.

Michael Jackson never wrote another Thriller or Bad. Why? Because it's hard to do. You act like going to the CWS 6 years in a row (1994-1999) is something sustainable. Or 7 times in 8 years. Or 8 times in 10 years. Or 9 times in 11 years. Or 10 times in 13 years.

It's delusional.

How about once every seven years? Is that good enough?

My frustration stems from the fact that the grand fix isn't particularly grand, nor is it apparently ever going to happen. Morris needs to go (he's not) and needs to be replaced with new blood with a new perspective (not happening either). There is no reason to believe anything will change under DiMare, and there is no reason to believe based upon his family situation that the administration would ever fire him. Hence we are stuck with Morris for another 2 years, and then we are likely stuck with DiMare until he retires or dies. It's not a good situation.

So you want to replace one of the winningest coaches in the sport (who just won 50 games and went to the CWS) with someone who provides a new perspective? Do you even realize how good this 'old perspective' has been?

The current staff (Morris, DiMare and Arteaga) has coached together for 10 seasons. They've averaged 44 wins and made 5 CWS appearances.

Gino left after the 2008 season and our hitting and recruiting fell off. He came back in 2012 and it immediately started to pick up again.

This thing started getting turned around when Gino came back. Anybody who doesn't understand that (or is incapable of doing so) doesn't follow this team or have the first clue what's going on.

Gino DiMare is a helluva coach.

Ugh. Still defending Morris. We pay a million dollars a year for a staff that gets to Omaha once every seven years.

This is what you're stuck with. Instead of having a program that plays for championships, we are now bragging that we're always at least a 2-seed.

We played for one last year unless you don't think finishing 5th at the CWS is 'playing' for a championship.

And when did I brag? Please. I said our down years are when we're a 2-seed. That's just a fact. Something you're unfamiliar with.

Except that in 2014 we scored 2 runs in 3 games at home against a #2 seed.

A #2 seed that went to the CWS and gave up a total of 9 runs in 8 postseason games including 4 shutouts.

There you go again.

Not knowing anything about the topic but running your mouth anyway.

Texas Tech was on tilt. Nobody could score on them for those 3 weeks. But we lost to them so we sucked.

Get a clue.

Advertisement
2015 - thank goodness for upsets so we could be the first team in modern history to avoid a #1 or #2 seed until Omaha.

Is two years ago considered modern history?

Image_2.webp

So I'll explain this for those who don't follow the sport.

TCU's path to Omaha in 2014 was....

# 4 Siena
# 3 Sam Houston State
# 3 Sam Houston State
# 3 Pepperdine
# 3 Pepperdine
# 3 Pepperdine

What about 2003?

View attachment 35860

Rice's path to Omaha in 2003 was....

# 4 McNeese State
# 3 Wichita State
# 3 Wichita State
# 3 Houston
# 3 Houston
# 3 Houston

By the way Rice won the national championship that year. Maybe they should give it back.

You say silly things and the 'facts' that you use to support them aren't even accurate. Pathetic.

Ugh. Still defending Morris. We pay a million dollars a year for a staff that gets to Omaha once every seven years.

Yes. I am defending one of the winningest coaching in college baseball history.

And, no, your claims are wrong again. I just gave you their track and you still managed to mess it up.

This staff has coached together from 2003-2008 and 2012-Present.

2003: CWS
2004: CWS
2005: Super Regional
2006: CWS
2007: Regional
2008: CWS
2012: Regional
2013: Regional
2014: Regional
2015: CWS

So on average that's once every other year.

Advertisement

Yes. I am defending one of the winningest coaching in college baseball history.

And, no, your claims are wrong again. I just gave you their track and you still managed to mess it up.

This staff has coached together from 2003-2008 and 2012-Present.

2003: CWS
2004: CWS
2005: Super Regional
2006: CWS
2007: Regional
2008: CWS
2012: Regional
2013: Regional
2014: Regional
2015: CWS

So on average that's once every other year.

So Jim Morris gets off the hook because you use the 21st century liberal's method of making three years disappear while typing "Regional" as if it is some kind of accomplishment. All because "they're together again! Go Gino!"

Here is a more accurate historical record:

2009: Regional loss
2010: Super Regional (0-2)
2011: Regional loss
2012: Regional loss (0-2 as a host)
2013: Regional loss
2014: Regional loss
2015: CWS (1-2)

Like I said, THANK GOD for the free admission coupon to Omaha last year. There's no telling what you people would be coming up with without that. "Milkshake races are great!!"

Six straight years without a single win in a Super Regional, but everything is fine because

1. Virginia Commonwealth had to come to Coral Gables, and
2. Gino is back.

God help us.

We played for one last year unless you don't think finishing 5th at the CWS is 'playing' for a championship.

We looked like an NAIA team against Florida - twice - so no, we were not playing for a championship. We were playing to avoid getting our pitchers killed by line drives. Too bad Morehead State couldn't have been in our Omaha bracket.

Advertisement
No, it's actually the other extreme: people are using one gift trip to Omaha to rescue themselves from defending the state of the program for the past seven years.

# 1 in the RPI and # 5 national seed.

But getting to Omaha was a gift.

And these are 'fans' of the program.

So Jim Morris gets off the hook because you use the 21st century liberal's method of making three years disappear while typing "Regional" as if it is some kind of accomplishment.

Of course he's not off the hook because we're here having this debate. Even stupid opinions have a right to be heard.

The claim that I typed regional as if it was accomplishment is comical. I typed if because it was a fact. I simply typed the postseason round in which the season ended.

You are seriously delusional.

No, it's actually the other extreme: people are using one gift trip to Omaha to rescue themselves from defending the state of the program for the past seven years.

# 1 in the RPI and # 5 national seed.

But getting to Omaha was a gift.

And these are 'fans' of the program.

And obliterated by the #4 national seed with an RPI of #3 . Obliterated. No one believes that we were #1 or #5 or anything close to that.

Advertisement
And obliterated by the #4 national seed with an RPI of #3. Obliterated. No one believes that we were #1 or #5 or anything close to that.

Once again another clown who thinks because we lost two games that we should be embarrassed.

Are you saying that nobody believes we were # 1 in the RPI? If that's the case then those people are like you. They're delusional.

Being # 1 in the RPI (and the # 5 national seed) is a statement of fact.

Yet another set of facts that you're having trouble with.

So Jim Morris gets off the hook because you use the 21st century liberal's method of making three years disappear while typing "Regional" as if it is some kind of accomplishment.

Of course he's not off the hook because we're here having this debate. Even stupid opinions have a right to be heard.

The claim that I typed regional as if it was accomplishment is comical. I typed if because it was a fact. I simply typed the postseason round in which the season ended.

You are seriously delusional.

I'm delusional, but you're the one going out of your way defending a program that hasn't had success in Omaha since 2001. And by "success" I don't mean winning it, I mean going at least .500.

Since winning the title, we have had five Omaha appearances - all 1-2 finishes - in 14 years. We used to be the Duke basketball of college baseball, and we could be again. Can you find a 14 year stretch where Duke did not make one Final Four appearance? That's where we are right now. We play a soft brand of baseball that gets exposed against the elite teams. That is undeniable. We either can't hit good pitching or our candy cane 84 mph lefties can't get good hitters out. Again, undeniable. It's proven at the end of every season.

Honestly, what is your point with all of this? That we should be happy to have a guy who used to win titles? That Gino is really the brains behind the operation and we should let him do his thing? Because the results just aren't there.

And obliterated by the #4 national seed with an RPI of #3. Obliterated. No one believes that we were #1 or #5 or anything close to that.

Once again another clown who thinks because we lost two games that we should be embarrassed.

Are you saying that nobody believes we were # 1 in the RPI? If that's the case then those people are like you. They're delusional.

Being # 1 in the RPI (and the # 5 national seed) is a statement of fact.

Yet another set of facts that you're having trouble with.

The only people who believe the RPI are on the committee and in the ACC and SEC. There are other more accurate measurements out there. Want proof? Look at Miami's RPI, and then look at where we end up. So keep cheering that we're highly ranked in a system that is not respected. If we were really #1 and #5 , we would have stayed on the same field with Florida.

Do you have any baseball-specific answer for our collapses in May and June for the past 14 years? Look at our elimination games in Omaha since 2001. We are 0-5 in those games and haven't been in the game in the 9th inning once. Answers?

Advertisement
Back