Baseball: Manhattan Series

And yet me made it to the CWS. Imagine that.

We made it to the CWS by beating up on cupcakes, and once we got to Omaha, we were outclassed by UF for the 7th year in a row. And now after last weekend, it's 8 years in a row. I'm not inspired by wins over Columbia and Virginia Commonwealth, whether they happen in February or June. And the same is true for wins against Rutgers and Manhattan.

Multiple posts in a thread about an irrelevant series is curious.

My posts have nothing to do with the irrelevant Manhattan series. They are about the direction of the program, which to me is relevant.

So you're basically just posting in a thread you don't care about to be a **** and say the same thing over and over again?

Team can only play the games on the schedule. So Manhattan it is for today. Morris couldn't invite Louisville to Coral Cables or show up in Louisville expecting to challenge them this weekend to try to impress you. Which my guess is even a sweep of Louisville would still find you *****ing about Florida.

Sweeping Louisville would be an undeniably impressive accomplishment.

Advertisement
Next relevant game is March 18.

No such thing as an irrelevant game. Gotta win them all.

We beat up on cupcakes all last season, straight through the super regional. When we played quality opponents, we generally fared poorly. I'll assume more of the same should be expected until proven otherwise.

We made it to the CWS by beating up on cupcakes, and once we got to Omaha, we were outclassed by UF for the 7th year in a row. And now after last weekend, it's 8 years in a row. I'm not inspired by wins over Columbia and Virginia Commonwealth, whether they happen in February or June. And the same is true for wins against Rutgers and Manhattan.

So we were outclassed by probably the best team in the country. Somehow tcgrad thinks this is good reason to write off the entire season.

And he can't even get his facts right to boot.

Miami won the series with Florida in 2014. So that's two whole seasons in a row of losing to the Gators.

We played FSU and UF a total of 8 times last year, and went 2-6.

And lost 3 of those 6 games by one run. The deciding margin against FSU came because of a ground rule.

These kind of things don't matter in baseball. It's a marathon. Teams play a lot of games. It's about getting a national seed and positioning yourself to get to Omaha.

People like you get too caught up in the minutia.

Advertisement
No such thing as an irrelevant game. Gotta win them all.

We beat up on cupcakes all last season, straight through the super regional. When we played quality opponents, we generally fared poorly. I'll assume more of the same should be expected until proven otherwise.

So we were outclassed by probably the best team in the country. Somehow tcgrad thinks this is good reason to write off the entire season.

And he can't even get his facts right to boot.

Miami won the series with Florida in 2014. So that's two whole seasons in a row of losing to the Gators.

6-23 in our last 29 against UF.

If UF keeps stockpiling the pitchers that they have been getting because they are a public university so players can come and not pay $30,000 a year out of pocket it will probably continue.

Morris will be the coach for another 2 seasons after this so might as well support him and the team.

It had nothing to do with the Canes getting "really good again" (they are??). Last season was a Charmin soft 50-17.

50 wins.

#1 in the RPI.

19 wins vs. top 50.

CWS appearance.

Yeah. Totally charmin soft.

I think Brian just no hit TC.

Not really. We had 4 series against top teams (UF, FSU, Louisville, UVA) and lost all of them. We beat cupcakes FIU, Columbia and VCU in the post season to get to Omaha. And then we got embarrassed by UF, to end the season 1-4 against them.

Advertisement
It had nothing to do with the Canes getting "really good again" (they are??). Last season was a Charmin soft 50-17.

50 wins.

#1 in the RPI.

19 wins vs. top 50.

CWS appearance.

Yeah. Totally charmin soft.

I think Brian just no hit TC.

Not really. We had 4 series against top teams (UF, FSU, Louisville, UVA) and lost all of them. We beat cupcakes FIU, Columbia and VCU in the post season to get to Omaha. And then we got embarrassed by UF, to end the season 1-4 against them.

Spoken like someone who doesn't actually follow the games but just the results.

We lost all of those series 2-1 and lost 4 of those individual games by one run.

Would you have rather won that series because of a ground rule (FSU) of have been the better team (Miami)? Would you have rather won a narrow series at home (Louisville) or have gotten to Omaha (Miami)?

You cite things that are completely irrelevant except to deluded haters who obsess about single game results in a 60+ game season.

And Virginia Commonwealth won perhaps the toughest regional in the country last year. Beat Oregon State (a favorite to reach Omaha from that bracket) and Dallas Baptist who was #2 in the RPI.

But cupcake. Sure, pal.

If UF keeps stockpiling the pitchers that they have been getting because they are a public university so players can come and not pay $30,000 a year out of pocket it will probably continue.

Morris will be the coach for another 2 seasons after this so might as well support him and the team.

So Florida is the only public university? And Miami is the only private university? Do me a favor.....compare the cost to attend the University of Tennessee compared to Vanderbilt, then compare the success each program has had in baseball.

It's leadership, not tuition, that puts some programs above others.

So Florida is the only public university? And Miami is the only private university? Do me a favor.....compare the cost to attend the University of Tennessee compared to Vanderbilt, then compare the success each program has had in baseball.

It's leadership, not tuition, that puts some programs above others.

Another way of looking at it: why is Mike Martin not stock piling the arms that O'Sullivan is?

Hint: it's not because of tuition differential.

Just win. It's the only thing that matters. What's the point in having the better team if they can't win the series?

Advertisement
Just win. It's the only thing that matters. What's the point in having the better team if they can't win the series?

Because a series is a small sample size.

You'd rather be the better team every time. That means more in the long run than winning one series in the regular season.

You'd rather be the better team every time. That means more in the long run than winning one series in the regular season.

Is 6-23 in the last 29 games over 8 years a "small sample size"?

I'd rather win the **** game than be the better team and lose. What benefit is it to "be the better team" and lose games? There is none. Not in rankings. Not in bragging rights. And, most definitely not in any tournament.

Advertisement

Is 6-23 in the last 29 games over 8 years a "small sample size"?

Yes.

29 games over 8 seasons is a small sample size.

That's about 450 games in that span.

And Florida was among the best teams in the country. Saying that we're not good because we did poorly against the best team is asinine.

I'd rather win the **** game than be the better team and lose. What benefit is it to "be the better team" and lose games? There is none. Not in rankings. Not in bragging rights. And, most definitely not in any tournament.

Then you should not be following this sport. Exit thread right.

Being the better team means you have a higher likelihood of success over a long season.

Florida State beat Miami 2 out of 3. Miami went to the CWS and Florida State didn't. Louisville beat Miami 2 out of 3. Miami went to the CWS and Louisville didn't.

In 2001 Miami lost 2 out of 3 to Rutgers. We won the national championship. Would you have rather been them or us?

Your position is incredibly silly and ignorant.

I will not "exit thread right." Thank you though. I've been following college baseball, and Miami for that matter, since I was a little kid. Quite a long time now.

I know how this sport works. No, you don't have win every series. It's like college basketball. The team that gets hot at the right time usually wins it all.

However, your position on wanting to be a better team than win than win a game is not just silly and ignorant. It's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Here's an example: Say some guy comes over and starts porking your wife. Yeah. You may get upset. But, it's ok right? Because you're the better man. Not the fact the other guys is WINNING by porking your wife.

Why field a team if you're not trying to win every game? Who gives a **** if you're the better team? The better team doesn't always win. JUST WIN. Winning is all that matters.

I will not "exit thread right." Thank you though. I've been following college baseball, and Miami for that matter, since I was a little kid. Quite a long time now.

Apparently you've learned nothing after all these years.

Somebody with that much experience wouldn't be whining about a single game (or series) unless they were just emotionally unstable or hadn't learned anything about the sport.

Advertisement
Back