Baseball: Manhattan Series

However, your position on wanting to be a better team than win than win a game is not just silly and ignorant. It's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It's not dumb. You're dumb for not understanding what it means.

If you asked me last year (or any year) if I'd rather beat FSU 2 of 3 or come out of the weekend as the better team I"d take the latter every single time.

Anybody who says otherwise is clueless and probably like you. They just don't understand the sport.

Advertisement
Why field a team if you're not trying to win every game? Who gives a **** if you're the better team? The better team doesn't always win. JUST WIN. Winning is all that matters.

Now I know you're stupid.

I never said (or even came close to saying) that we shouldn't try to win. That's proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're not very smart.

I said winning a regular season series doesn't mean anything and the goal should always be to be the better team. Wins and losses can be random. Especially in baseball. That's why you try to be the better team and take your chances in a 60+ game season that you'll come out on top at the end.

This is all too difficult for you to understand. That's been proven by your stupefying lack of understanding.

Just win. It's the only thing that matters. What's the point in having the better team if they can't win the series?

Because a series is a small sample size.

You'd rather be the better team every time. That means more in the long run than winning one series in the regular season.

Is 6-23 in the last 29 games over 8 years a "small sample size"?

Yes.

29 games over 8 seasons is a small sample size.

That's about 450 games in that span.

And Florida was among the best teams in the country. Saying that we're not good because we did poorly against the best team is asinine.

You need bench marks to determine how your program is doing. The bench mark used to be winning the CWS. Anything less was a disappointing season. While times have changed, judging our program by how we fare against our in state rivals is perfectly reasonable. The reality is that for 8 years we haven't fared well.

However, your position on wanting to be a better team than win than win a game is not just silly and ignorant. It's probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

It's not dumb. You're dumb for not understanding what it means.

If you asked me last year (or any year) if I'd rather beat FSU 2 of 3 or come out of the weekend as the better team I"d take the latter every single time.

Anybody who says otherwise is clueless and probably like you. They just don't understand the sport.

What does "come out of the weekend as the better team" even mean? It's what a little league coach tells a team of crying 9 year olds who lost a game. Frankly, it sounds like something Al Golden would say. It's loser talk.

You need bench marks to determine how your program is doing. The bench mark used to be winning the CWS.

So out of the 71 seasons of Canes baseball only 4 of them have been a success?

I guess I knew you were capable of such stupidity but it's good to see you be so open about it.

Advertisement
What does "come out of the weekend as the better team" even mean?

Miami = 50-17 (22-8) *National Seed* *CWS*
FSU = 44-21 (17-13)

That's what it means.

Let them win the series 2-1 every year because of a ground rule and let us win 50 games and be a national seed.

FSU leads the all-time series against us. Who gives a flip? We have the hardware.

You need bench marks to determine how your program is doing. The bench mark used to be winning the CWS.

So out of the 71 seasons of Canes baseball only 4 of them have been a success?

I guess I knew you were capable of such stupidity but it's good to see you be so open about it.

This is the program that famously used the CWS second place trophy as a door stop in the locker room. But if you read what I wrote, I'm not using CWS titles as the benchmark. I wrote that it used to be the bench mark. Now apparently the benchmark is "coming out of the weekend as a better team."

Advertisement
This is the program that famously used the CWS second place trophy as a door stop in the locker room.

Which I'm in favor of.

You can have high standards and not be delusional at the same time.

Claiming that a 50-win season was charmin soft is asinine.

Whining about losing individual series is asinine.

Getting to the CWS without being embarrassed there by our in state rival would be nice.

Let's face it.

Nothing would be satisfactory to you except winning every game and holding all the bragging rights.

Florida was probably the best team in the country last year and we outscored and outplayed them in the 3-game regular season series.

But we got caught in a tsunami in two games in Omaha and now it's an embarrassment and we're charmin soft.

You are a clown.

Getting to the CWS without being embarrassed there by our in state rival would be nice.

Let's face it.

Nothing would be satisfactory to you except winning every game and holding all the bragging rights.

Florida was probably the best team in the country last year and we outscored and outplayed them in the 3-game regular season series.

But we got caught in a tsunami in two games in Omaha and now it's an embarrassment and we're charmin soft.

You are a clown.

Of last season's 49 wins against D1 opponents, 30 were against RPI 50+ (including every game in our Regional and Super Regional). We won a lot of games against mediocre or worse opponents, and skated to Omaha in a laughable regional and super regional, then we got curb stomped. A tsunami implies that what happened in Omaha was a surprise. It wasn't. It was a repeat of the previous 7 years. So yes, it was a charmin soft 50 win season.

Until we can consistently (not always, but consistently) beat FSU and UF, our seasons are going to continue ending in embarrassing fashion like last year.

Advertisement
A tsunami implies that what happened in Omaha was a surprise. It wasn't. It was a repeat of the previous 7 years. So yes, it was a charmin soft 50 win season.

Truth. We happened last year usually happens in a Regional or Super Regional. We were just able to avoid any #1 's or #2 's until Omaha, which is unprecedented.

And to bring it back full circle, the reason why series against the Manhattans and Rutgers are irrelevant is because those are the types of programs we went 30-3 against last season. Those games don't offer any indication of improving as a program.

Of last season's 49 wins against D1 opponents, 30 were against RPI 50+ (including every game in our Regional and Super Regional).

We had the 5th most wins (19) against the RPI top 50.

Guess who else won 30 games against +50 RPI teams? National runner-up Vanderbilt.

Using your criteria you basically implied that every team had a charmin soft season. And that's really my point. You don't follow this team or even this sport but you insist you know what you're talking about.

Miami was a top 8 team (really top 6) by any standard that a human being has ever used to evaluate performance in this sport. You couldn't invent a standard that excluded Miami from that list but here you are claiming that they were soft and didn't have a very good season.

Advertisement
A tsunami implies that what happened in Omaha was a surprise. It wasn't. It was a repeat of the previous 7 years.

So we outscored (11-8) and outhit (21-20) Florida on the road in an earlier series but you totally expected to be outscored 25-5 in Omaha?

Sure you did.

Because you've shown such acute baseball knowledge in this thread and past threads.

Truth. We happened last year usually happens in a Regional or Super Regional. We were just able to avoid any #1 's or #2 's until Omaha, which is unprecedented.

It's not true and it's not unprecedented.

Actually it is unprecedented if you've never followed the sport.

And to bring it back full circle, the reason why series against the Manhattans and Rutgers are irrelevant is because those are the types of programs we went 30-3 against last season. Those games don't offer any indication of improving as a program.

Total Wins
2012: 36
2013: 37
2014: 44
2015: 50

Record vs. top 50
2012: 14-20
2013: 15-16
2014: 9-12
2015: 19-14

The only people who say that there are no signs of improvement are those who don't actually follow the team.

Record vs. 50+ RPI teams is a completely manufactured statistic. If you intend to complain about everything (and tcgrad does) then you can find any statistic to tickle your fancy.

Would tcgrad prefer that we not go 30-3 against non-top 50 teams? Would he prefer that we do worse?

Why is record vs 50+ RPI "completely manufactured," but record vs. top 50 RPI is not? What I'd prefer, for the 5000th time, is that we beat our in state rivals on a regular basis, and not be embarrassed by them.

Advertisement
Back