Baseball: Manhattan Series

Why is record vs 50+ RPI "completely manufactured," but record vs. top 50 RPI is not?

Because as someone who follows the sport (unlike you) I know that record vs. RPI top 50 is a real metric used by the selection committee.

Citing the number of wins vs. RPI 50+ teams is the kind of metric someone uses when they're fishing for something.

Advertisement
What I'd prefer, for the 5000th time, is that we beat our in state rivals on a regular basis, and not be embarrassed by them.

We weren't embarrassed by either of our rivals during the regular season and were embarrassed (I guess) by one of them at the CWS.

We beat that team in the regular season series the year before (2014).

The grown adults on this board care about getting national seeds and getting to Omaha. The children like you whine about minute things that don't really matter in the long run.

What I'd prefer, for the 5000th time, is that we beat our in state rivals on a regular basis, and not be embarrassed by them.

We weren't embarrassed by either of our rivals during the regular season and were embarrassed (I guess) by one of them at the CWS.

We beat that team in the regular season series the year before (2014).

The grown adults on this board care about getting national seeds and getting to Omaha. The children like you whine about minute things that don't really matter in the long run.

We have now been to Omaha once since 2008. The 7 year drought was by far the longest since our first CWS appearance in 1974. So if what you care about is getting to Omaha, then the futility of the past 7 years has been unmatched since before Richard M Nixon was president. It is beyond belief that you can defend the direction of the program with piles of evidence staring you in the face.

And you guess we were embarrassed by the Gators in Omaha last year? You guess? Being outscored 25-5 in two games, and you guess we were embarrassed? What would it take for you to admit we were clearly embarrassed? 30-0 in 2 games?

What is the status of Cooper Hammond? He left the game yesterday with an injury. Is it considered serious? The team really needs him

Last edited:
It is beyond belief that you can defend the direction of the program with piles of evidence staring you in the face.

We won 50 games last year!

We were #1 in the RPI!

We went to Omaha!

What the **** are you talking about?

This team has won 61 of the last 80 games. It's been stacking top recruiting classes on top of each other since Gino returned in 2012. The next 2 class coming up are both in the top 5.

You are delusional.

Advertisement
And you guess we were embarrassed by the Gators in Omaha last year? You guess? Being outscored 25-5 in two games, and you guess we were embarrassed? What would it take for you to admit we were clearly embarrassed? 30-0 in 2 games?

I'm don't get embarrassed by athletic teams at the University of Miami. Especially those that have great seasons and go to Omaha.

But then again I have a life.

I'm don't get embarrassed by athletic teams at the University of Miami. Especially those that have great seasons and go to Omaha.

It goes back to one of your earlier posts. - bragging rights.

Many Miami fans are more interested in being ****y ******** than the health or progress of the programs. Since we have been in a major drought in football, they don't know what to do. They ***** about baseball in a basketball thread. Bring up football coaches in a baseball discussion. They are besides themselves not being able to be an ******* to other people. They are envious of a Gator coach, who by all accounts has underachieved with the talent that he has.

Their only response is to attack other Miami fans just talking baseball and reporting on games creating nonsense here to ***** about.

Their basic argument is we shouldn't be happy we beat Stetson because we can't beat the Yankees. Yet all anyone is saying is, we beat Stetson, nice, who's next. If we don't beat them, we never get to play the Yankees when it counts.

Predictable response will be ....don Bailey jr, sunshine pumper, slurper, homer, Morris is that you, yay Omaha, blah blah blah.

Many Miami fans are more interested in being ****y ******** than the health or progress of the programs. Since we have been in a major drought in football, they don't know what to do. They ***** about baseball in a basketball thread. Bring up football coaches in a baseball discussion. They are besides themselves not being able to be an ******* to other people. They are envious of a Gator coach, who by all accounts has underachieved with the talent that he has.

Their only response is to attack other Miami fans just talking baseball and reporting on games creating nonsense here to ***** about.

Their basic argument is we shouldn't be happy we beat Stetson because we can't beat the Yankees. Yet all anyone is saying is, we beat Stetson, nice, who's next. If we don't beat them, we never get to play the Yankees when it counts.

Predictable response will be ....don Bailey jr, sunshine pumper, slurper, homer, Morris is that you, yay Omaha, blah blah blah.

The sad thing is that you have turned this into poster-vs-poster, when my posts specifically criticize aspects of the program. And in your little rant against "them", you missed the mark, as expected. The only attacking going on is from you and your little crew.

tcgrad and I don't make our posts about you, but you certainly make your posts about us. The reason for that is clear: you can't argue against anything we say about the baseball program, so in your limited intellect you just attack us instead.

Ironically, we will be here at the end of the year.....again.....reminding you that we used to be a championship program. But you will still claim that we are wrong in our criticism.

2001, bro.

The sad thing is that you have turned this into poster-vs-poster, when my posts specifically criticize aspects of the program. And in your little rant against "them", you missed the mark, as expected. The only attacking going on is from you and your little crew.

tcgrad and I don't make our posts about you, but you certainly make your posts about us. The reason for that is clear: you can't argue against anything we say about the baseball program, so in your limited intellect you just attack us instead.

Ironically, we will be here at the end of the year.....again.....reminding you that we used to be a championship program. But you will still claim that we are wrong in our criticism.

2001, bro.

That would be awesome if you waited till the end of the year.

Advertisement

2001, bro.

Still waiting for your grand fix.

We all get that you don't like Morris. All this babble about used to being a championship team and then pointing to our record against FSU and UF is comical.

Advertisement

2001, bro.

Still waiting for your grand fix.

We all get that you don't like Morris. All this babble about used to being a championship team and then pointing to our record against FSU and UF is comical.

It's not comical to point out that the past 7+ seasons have been the worst 7+ year stretch for Miami baseball in over 40 years. Nor is it a coincidence (or comical) that the past 7+ years have also seen us perform very poorly against both UF and FSU.

My frustration stems from the fact that the grand fix isn't particularly grand, nor is it apparently ever going to happen. Morris needs to go (he's not) and needs to be replaced with new blood with a new perspective (not happening either). There is no reason to believe anything will change under DiMare, and there is no reason to believe based upon his family situation that the administration would ever fire him. Hence we are stuck with Morris for another 2 years, and then we are likely stuck with DiMare until he retires or dies. It's not a good situation.

you can't argue against anything we say about the baseball program, so in your limited intellect you just attack us instead.

But I can and already have.

Wins
2012: 36
2013: 37
2014: 44
2015: 50

What was tcgrad saying about the direction of the program?

The team had won 61 of their last 80 games before last night. Their record in the previous 80 games? 53-27. The 80 games before that? 45-35.

Team batting average last year was highest since 2008. Team slugging percentage was highest since 2010. Team on base percentage was highest since 2008.

Nearly every single measure of the program is either the best it's been in years or trending up year over year.

Ironically, we will be here at the end of the year.....again.....reminding you that we used to be a championship program.

We've only won 4 championships in 71 years of playing baseball. Does that mean we weren't a championship program in any of those other years?

We went 14 years between championships at one point. Were we not a championship program then?

The reason you make such silly claims is because you don't have any context. Our 'down' years are better than those of any other program in the country. When we're 'down' we're a 2-seed.

Go look at the down years of other programs.

Texas has missed the postseason twice in the last 5 years and that was in back-to-back seasons. Stanford missed the postseason last year and 5 times in the last decade! USC made the postseason last year for the first time since 2005!

It goes on and on.

Our 'down' years are better than the rest and the duration is shorter as well.

But keep saying we're not good any more after winning 50 games and playing in the CWS.

Advertisement
It's not comical to point out that the past 7+ seasons have been the worst 7+ year stretch for Miami baseball in over 40 years.

Yeah because those 40 years were perhaps the most elite 40 years in the history of the sport.

Michael Jackson never wrote another Thriller or Bad. Why? Because it's hard to do. You act like going to the CWS 6 years in a row (1994-1999) is something sustainable. Or 7 times in 8 years. Or 8 times in 10 years. Or 9 times in 11 years. Or 10 times in 13 years.

It's delusional.

My frustration stems from the fact that the grand fix isn't particularly grand, nor is it apparently ever going to happen. Morris needs to go (he's not) and needs to be replaced with new blood with a new perspective (not happening either). There is no reason to believe anything will change under DiMare, and there is no reason to believe based upon his family situation that the administration would ever fire him. Hence we are stuck with Morris for another 2 years, and then we are likely stuck with DiMare until he retires or dies. It's not a good situation.

So you want to replace one of the winningest coaches in the sport (who just won 50 games and went to the CWS) with someone who provides a new perspective? Do you even realize how good this 'old perspective' has been?

The current staff (Morris, DiMare and Arteaga) has coached together for 10 seasons. They've averaged 44 wins and made 5 CWS appearances.

Gino left after the 2008 season and our hitting and recruiting fell off. He came back in 2012 and it immediately started to pick up again.

This thing started getting turned around when Gino came back. Anybody who doesn't understand that (or is incapable of doing so) doesn't follow this team or have the first clue what's going on.

Gino DiMare is a helluva coach.

The reason you make such silly claims is because you don't have any context. Our 'down' years are better than those of any other program in the country. When we're 'down' we're a 2-seed.

This is what you're stuck with. Instead of having a program that plays for championships, we are now bragging that we're always at least a 2-seed. And once every eight years we will manage to put together a season that grabs a national seed.

I really don't care what Texas, Stanford, and USC have done. I'm not comparing us to them. I'm comparing us to the teams that put themselves in position to win a championship.

Advertisement
Back