8 million NIL deal shiiiiiiiiiit

Advertisement
Which is my point. That's the direction this is heading. Not college football, but just a lower professional league that just happens to use university names and colors.
Yep. And I think that's fine. These guys should be getting paid. If recruits are worth millions or hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's either CFB gets with times which they have, or there'd be some new league that started and CFB would die.

Yep. And I think that's fine. These guys should be getting paid. If recruits are worth millions or hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's either CFB gets with times which they have, or there'd be some new league that started and CFB would die.
But again, that's not a matter of "getting with the times". It's not college football anymore once it goes down the path of unregulated spending, so why pretend it is? It's not amateur collegiate sport, it's a corporate league that just uses college names. The allegiance and passion many have for THEIR college teams come from being part of that community. Without the true college connection, it might as well be the NBA Developmental League or Minor League Baseball...and how big and passionate of a fanbase do those have?

And what if the player didn’t live up to expectations? Or was injured and missed an entire season?

I suspect the language of the contract requires the player to meet specific criteria to earn up to $8M. I’ve read NILs cannot be tied to performance directly, but if the player ended up on the bench or was injured ‘the collective’ would not have as much use for the player and therefore pay less.

True, @apfenny3 ?
This is the first case I've seen of a high school player signing a deal with a college's collective. They can't make it contingent upon attending that college, so for example say it is Texas A&M's collective, the player could still attend Bama if he wanted to. I haven't seen the actual contract but it can't have anything contingent upon certain amount of snaps played or staying enrolled at one school vs another.

Advertisement
Oh please, the poor exploited collegiate athlete argument.

They were granted access to a school many of them wouldn't ever be admitted to if not for relaxed standards.

They were afforded many opportunities, all for free, something the average college student could only dream of.

They eat lavishly, not a dime spent, while the regular student is lucky to eat regular meals, not a thing called Ramen out of their microwave.

They get injured, not a bill to be seen.

They don't have to worry about rent, it's taken care of.

They don't have to worry about money if they take advantage of all the freebies they get and are smart with their stipends.

They get to see a lot of the country, again not a dime spent.

They have access to tutors that make sure they stay on track to graduate.

They get special treatment, are often adored by the fan base, because they're an athlete. There's perks that come with that and access to things your regular student athlete doesn't get.

They leave college debt free and aren't saddled with debt. All the while your fellow students have hidden athletic fees added to their tuition.

Very few go pro, but you are afforded the opportunity to do so if you're good enough. Hopefully most take advantage of that free higher education since most will be using it.

You make a ton of memories and college life is a total blast.

There's more, but whatever. It'll likely fall on deaf ears. I was a D1 athlete although I still could've gone to college if I wasn't. Debt free, into the world I went and I'm thankful for the opportunity I had. As a father, I wouldn't give a **** if it was the old way, I'd be happy as a pig in **** that I wouldn't be paying and neither would he when he left school.

Now if you want to make the case that certain schools are making payments to players, you enforce it. You don't blow the entire thing up. Consider increasing stipends. This **** is going to brutalize the game. 2 mil a year the ****? What a joke.

Man, what little monsters we're making. Thankfully it's only going to be a small percentage of them that get deals or lucrative ones at that.
Sorry I didn't read most, but the first things you mentioned are done not out of doing a good deed. They do it for the excess revenue these kids bring in. The education is in not free. They work hard for the institution, conditioning, training, practicing, attending meetings, lifting weights and playing games. For doing these things they get the things you mentioned. Things regular students have to pay for or don't get. It's not a tired old argument my friend because the Courts of The United States have determined it was Exploitation and allowed NIL. So it is you with the tired old argument that has already been lost.

Exactly. That's crazy lol That's a reason why I'm not worried about the Nil market getting out of hand. When the losses start coming from kids not panning out, it will curb their enthusiasm lolol.
NIL value market is basically being controlled by recruiting sites. Dropping 8 mil because 247 says a kids is 5 star without any collegiate film is bad business. Im definitely not mad at the kids tho. Get paid.

This is the first case I've seen of a high school player signing a deal with a college's collective. They can't make it contingent upon attending that college, so for example say it is Texas A&M's collective, the player could still attend Bama if he wanted to. I haven't seen the actual contract but it can't have anything contingent upon certain amount of snaps played or staying enrolled at one school vs another.

There is contingencies. It’s not black and white. From my sauce

There is contingencies. It’s not black and white. From my sauce
Plus if you couldn't say they have to attend "x college", you could still write terms where they'd have to attend that college. Like "meet me at Lake Osceola every day at 5pm for filming of commercials". Can't be a football player anywhere else and make that commitment.

Advertisement
Plus if you couldn't say they have to attend "x college", you could still write terms where they'd have to attend that college. Like "meet me at Lake Osceola every day at 5pm for filming of commercials". Can't be a football player anywhere else and make that commitment.

Yeah nobody is giving out millions to a kid for them to go play somewhere else

We just have to get more creative.

USC might have their own signature line of Beats soon. The film industry is also going to give them a leg up (and not for nothing, the TV and Film industry around UGA and UT in Austin will increasingly play a role in their NILs).

Gonna be weird seeing our guys on top of taxis in ads for Tootsies and E1even.
Whats going to be weird about it...we arlready see our guys on top of chairs at Tootsies and E1even

They struggled originally with NIL but have gotten their network together and will probably be way more involved moving forward now that they got their “counsel” setup.
They suck and their program is DEAD..it wont matter. They were dead BEFORE the arrival of the big 12 teams it only gets worse now.

Advertisement
I'm not talking about head coaches. Let alone the greatest coach of all time who is obviously well compensated.

I'm talking about position coaches and coordinators.

Imagine the QB coach of this kid making $300k a year while the QB he's coaching is making $2mil+/year.

Whats the purpose of giving an NIL to a position coach?. Unless its a visible guy there isnt a reason. There has never been anything stopping PC's and coordinators from getting sponsorships. But they dont matter...Bama is the #1 football program and i couldnt tell you who their defensive coordinator is.

There's so much money in LA that both those schools could rule college football if people get behind them.

**** isn't good for the sport if things keep trending up like they are.
You have to be blind not to see this coming a mile away. I've said this from very beginning and now it is coming to fruition.

Advertisement
Nico about has high school junior signs contract that has him paid more than guys like Joe burrow, baker Mayfield, and Lamar Jackson,

Was thinking same thing. OSU signed a qb two years ago that was number 1 in the country. Kid had an NIL deal that guaranteed him a couple million if he started x amount of games. He asked Ryan Day would he start x amount of games to get the cash and coach said no. He then transferred shortly after. I think the coaches at the top schools will have no problems. Coaches like Norvell will be bullied by folks behind these deals to play a certain player even if they are not good. Saban, Dabo, Day, Kirby no way in ****

Huh? NIL has been around for 1 year.

It has a ceiling of $8M over 4 years, sounds like it's $325k guaranteed.

$325k guaranteed up to $2M a year is reasonable market value for an individual who is the best on the planet in their age group to do something that creates billions in revenue. Just my humble opinion.

Advertisement
Back