8 million NIL deal shiiiiiiiiiit

It has a ceiling of $8M over 4 years, sounds like it's $325k guaranteed.

$325k guaranteed up to $2M a year is reasonable market value for an individual who is the best on the planet in their age group to do something that creates billions in revenue. Just my humble opinion.
The big problem with this statement is, this individual would never "create billions in revenue" if the OL didn't protect him, didn't give him enough time to throw and the RB and receivers couldn't block the defenders to allow the target receiver to be open and the target receive never made the effort and wasn't good enough to catch his ball. You see where I'm going? His success depends on his teammates and all those players deserve a piece of his NIL deal. Which they are not getting.
Would this create some resentment and maybe animosity among players? Time will tell.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The big problem with this statement is, this individual would never "create billions in revenue" if the OL didn't protect him, didn't give him enough time to throw and the RB and receivers couldn't block the defenders to allow the target receiver to be open and the target receive never made the effort and wasn't good enough to catch his ball. You see where I'm going? His success depends on his teammates and all those players deserve a piece of his NIL deal. Which they are not getting.
Would this create some resentment and maybe animosity among players? Time will tell.

Oh, there will certainly be resentment and animosity. That happens without money being involved.

There is a handful of them. However the problem as I've alluded to before behind this is all nil has really done is open up free agency essentially. It's monetized boosters and alumni bases for spots that we flat out can't compete with annually. Just look at it big picture. Great we have the mas brothers,Ruiz, the soffers, dimari ,lemonis, Rodriguez and a handful of others. But how do you slow down a network of individuals with limitless wallets themselves. Certain schools this is just made for. We're doing an amazing job in this space right now and honestly I NEVER thought we'd be able to compete in this environment for nil stuff. But long term let's just hope it's somehow sustainable.
I honestly believe it is not sustainable and something has has to be and will be done at some point. There have always been the difference between those who have and those who have not in college football but this NIL change will make it look like the French society before the French revolution.

Advertisement
In your scenario, the athlete pockets the $325K signing bonus. The collective, if truly tied to a school, choses not to use the player’s NIL and makes no more payments, takes a write-off on the bonus. The kid’s reputation is perhaps stained as related to being offered other deals.

No?
Yes. In theory. Issue is that would mean the collective would acknowledge it was in reality tied to a certain school rather than said player. = NIL NO NO...

I get what you're saying, at least I think I do.

You played on a great team, the greatest of all most say. Most don't though. Most wouldn't have a shot at college if not for their athletic ability. That's not because they're dumb, but athletes often get passed through high school just enough to stay eligible. There's a lot of factors involved.

You also went to an affluent school. Those who aren't on scholarship here aren't your typical state school student. They come from families with means. There's a big difference between the typical Miami student and whatever state school student.

Sure, the university profited. How much is greatly debated. Some big schools are flush with cash while most have to supplement their income with student generated fees added to tuition.

I don't know exactly who you are, but more than half your team went on to other things besides an NFL paycheck. Would they be in that position had they not been given a scholarship? Would they have even gotten in without relaxed standards? Would they have made it through school without mandatory study halls and help from tutors?

Yes, a slice of the pie is nice. A larger slice would be as well. This free for all stuff, it's crazy. All that money that student athletes generate don't like the pockets of anyone besides the coaches largely. It goes towards improving the school itself for future generations of players and the other students. You're contributing to their experience one day.

It's a grind though. You hurt daily a lot of the year. While you get to do something that was fun and your passion in high school, it becomes more a job in college. It's not all rainbows and puppies, but what in life is. I wouldn't trade my family to go back, but at the time I hated leaving.
It's 100% a job. I don't track stats & I'm not much for Google. But if I remember correctly from players union meetings roughly 1 or 2 percent of kids in that scenario get into the league. That's allot of kids who will have nothing but memories to account for a lifetime of pain & wasted opportunities honestly. Because most of us who really took football serious didn't give ourselves any chance to genuinely benefit from the education side. Myself I finished my education after I left for the league & it benefitted me greatly that I did that. Cause prior to that point my education consisted of a playbook...

Advertisement
It's 100% a job. I don't track stats & I'm not much for Google. But if I remember correctly from players union meetings roughly 1 or 2 percent of kids in that scenario get into the league. That's allot of kids who will have nothing but memories to account for a lifetime of pain & wasted opportunities honestly. Because most of us who really took football serious didn't give ourselves any chance to genuinely benefit from the education side. Myself I finished my education after I left for the league & it benefitted me greatly that I did that. Cause prior to that point my education consisted of a playbook...

You're right as rain on a lot of players everywhere not taking advantage of their educational opportunity. Every school has athletic degrees. When I looked years ago and they listed their field of study, ours was liberal arts.

It's tough to do both, no question, but you can. A serious degree with a commitment to football, but most aren't made for that.

To add to that, most come from a place where they're the man, on their team, in the county, and even the state. Before they realize it, a couple of years go by and they have no shot at the NFL or failed to see what was in front of their faces. They're ordinary or maybe even good, but not next level material. Hopes and dreams die hard, but it's too late to switch gears and to be frank, most don't have the capability to do so.

Life hits hard. I'm not against money for athletes, just not this wild west approach.

There is a handful of them. However the problem as I've alluded to before behind this is all nil has really done is open up free agency essentially. It's monetized boosters and alumni bases for spots that we flat out can't compete with annually. Just look at it big picture. Great we have the mas brothers,Ruiz, the soffers, dimari ,lemonis, Rodriguez and a handful of others. But how do you slow down a network of individuals with limitless wallets themselves. Certain schools this is just made for. We're doing an amazing job in this space right now and honestly I NEVER thought we'd be able to compete in this environment for nil stuff. But long term let's just hope it's somehow sustainable.
Us and USC are different we dont have to keep an NIL sustainable ...we just have to be good and HAVE NILS... We have the location and access to players that matters. Had NIL been around previously a few of the S.lfla kids that went places for bags would NEVER have...The Patrick Peterson's, Dwayne Bowe's,. Amari Coopers of the world.

Advertisement
Yep. And I think that's fine. These guys should be getting paid. If recruits are worth millions or hundreds of thousands of dollars, it's either CFB gets with times which they have, or there'd be some new league that started and CFB would die.
The one problem with that is that it is not sustainable in its present size. You eventually end up with a “new league” that is 60 teams or less. That’s less opportunities for players.

I’ve said before that I could envision a day where the college itself doesn’t fund their teams. Instead they host a “college team” that is funded by an outside group...the NFL, let’s say.

Oh please, the poor exploited collegiate athlete argument.

They were granted access to a school many of them wouldn't ever be admitted to if not for relaxed standards.

They were afforded many opportunities, all for free, something the average college student could only dream of.

They eat lavishly, not a dime spent, while the regular student is lucky to eat regular meals, not a thing called Ramen out of their microwave.

They get injured, not a bill to be seen.

They don't have to worry about rent, it's taken care of.

They don't have to worry about money if they take advantage of all the freebies they get and are smart with their stipends.

They get to see a lot of the country, again not a dime spent.

They have access to tutors that make sure they stay on track to graduate.

They get special treatment, are often adored by the fan base, because they're an athlete. There's perks that come with that and access to things your regular student athlete doesn't get.

They leave college debt free and aren't saddled with debt. All the while your fellow students have hidden athletic fees added to their tuition.

Very few go pro, but you are afforded the opportunity to do so if you're good enough. Hopefully most take advantage of that free higher education since most will be using it.

You make a ton of memories and college life is a total blast.

There's more, but whatever. It'll likely fall on deaf ears. I was a D1 athlete although I still could've gone to college if I wasn't. Debt free, into the world I went and I'm thankful for the opportunity I had. As a father, I wouldn't give a **** if it was the old way, I'd be happy as a pig in **** that I wouldn't be paying and neither would he when he left school.

Now if you want to make the case that certain schools are making payments to players, you enforce it. You don't blow the entire thing up. Consider increasing stipends. This **** is going to brutalize the game. 2 mil a year the ****? What a joke.

Man, what little monsters we're making. Thankfully it's only going to be a small percentage of them that get deals or lucrative ones at that.

8CCF02A9-9AEF-4B26-B6B0-81D8A5F5F375.gif

Advertisement
Us and USC are different we dont have to keep an NIL sustainable ...we just have to be good and HAVE NILS... We have the location and access to players that matters. Had NIL been around previously a few of the S.lfla kids that went places for bags would NEVER have...The Patrick Peterson's, Dwayne Bowe's,. Amari Coopers of the world.
I'm sure u know about those recruitments also. So I'll simply say although they each got some bread,it's not the bread that made them leave. I agree we have built in advantages but as I said previously that only works for the kids that just want a lil incentive to go along with paradise. Dudes chasing bread are different in themselves.

Not really worried about what someone else is making...never have

IF they think that's what the kid deserves for doing something...then great for the kid or anyone else getting BIG $$$

Any market has a way of correcting itself. The small % of HS players having successful college careers means that there is a lot of risk in doing this.

While, the risk of a "can't miss" prospect being a bust in college is lower, it does happen.

For example, can you imagine if someone had paid for our recent can't miss recruits over the years and paid Willie Williams, Kyle Wright, Robert Marve, Deleon Farr, Aldarius Johnson, Arthur Brown ....ALL top rated high school players millions of $$$....ALL total BUSTS in college here.

After paying one failure ...I think you'd be extremely reluctant to keep doing so. But there are suckers born every minute

Last edited:
I don’t understand how a HS senior can get $4m but someone like TVD gets $50-75k from Ruiz our biggest donor and he stays. Why wouldn’t TVD go to Tennessee for $4m if that was the case. I just don’t think these kids are getting this much.

Advertisement
Back