8 million NIL deal shiiiiiiiiiit

Advertisement
This is honestly unsustainable imo. Wait till all these billionaires don't see the expected return on their investment. Eventually they'll get tired of spending those types of figures once a few of those types bust. Dumping 30+ mil a year for a class and A&M and most likely not winning the SEC "WEST" anytime soon.
FIFY!

It depends on state legislation where he lives. He's probably from a state where they have very favorable NIL laws. Look for states thet allow NIL for high school players.

Also, it may not be illegal to have a "futures" contract.
How's that working for fsu when they are literally in the city where the legislation was written.
Maybe I should have put this in the Tears Thread? LOL

Agreed. Ruiz can only do so much. Eventually that won’t even be close to enough. Maybe someone closer to the program can let us know if there is more being worked in behind the scenes to go to the next level.

Everything can’t ride on life wallet.

Someone needs to be working corporate deals and other mainstream deals
@Brooklyndee can prob say more, but I’m pretty sure Ruiz isn’t the only one. He is just the loudest in the room. Lemonis said specifically that he got of BoTs so he could be involved more. There is Carol Soffer and her Arabian prince business partner as well

Oh please, the poor exploited collegiate athlete argument.

They were granted access to a school many of them wouldn't ever be admitted to if not for relaxed standards.

They were afforded many opportunities, all for free, something the average college student could only dream of.

They eat lavishly, not a dime spent, while the regular student is lucky to eat regular meals, not a thing called Ramen out of their microwave.

They get injured, not a bill to be seen.

They don't have to worry about rent, it's taken care of.

They don't have to worry about money if they take advantage of all the freebies they get and are smart with their stipends.

They get to see a lot of the country, again not a dime spent.

They have access to tutors that make sure they stay on track to graduate.

They get special treatment, are often adored by the fan base, because they're an athlete. There's perks that come with that and access to things your regular student athlete doesn't get.

They leave college debt free and aren't saddled with debt. All the while your fellow students have hidden athletic fees added to their tuition.

Very few go pro, but you are afforded the opportunity to do so if you're good enough. Hopefully most take advantage of that free higher education since most will be using it.

You make a ton of memories and college life is a total blast.

There's more, but whatever. It'll likely fall on deaf ears. I was a D1 athlete although I still could've gone to college if I wasn't. Debt free, into the world I went and I'm thankful for the opportunity I had. As a father, I wouldn't give a **** if it was the old way, I'd be happy as a pig in **** that I wouldn't be paying and neither would he when he left school.

Now if you want to make the case that certain schools are making payments to players, you enforce it. You don't blow the entire thing up. Consider increasing stipends. This **** is going to brutalize the game. 2 mil a year the ****? What a joke.

Man, what little monsters we're making. Thankfully it's only going to be a small percentage of them that get deals or lucrative ones at that.
Well said.

Advertisement
Ruiz has only used $2 of the $10 million he set up for the NIL deals for now. We have plenty of NIL money coming. Paying HS players 1st RD money will not last long in my opinion.

We don’t want yet another SEC team to deal with. Tenn has been down a long time and they are grade a cheaters

Are you kidding? I LOVE this. Tennessee plays UF every year. A strong Tennessee is good for Miami IMO, because it can help beat UF down a peg, which helps us in recruiting. My enemy's enemy is my friend. Let the SEC all beat each other up. I'm good.

Ruiz has only used $2 of the $10 million he set up for the NIL deals for now. We have plenty of NIL money coming. Paying HS players 1st RD money will not last long in my opinion.
I believe he said it was $10mil/year too.

But sure if that only means for recruits or current players as well

Advertisement
@Brooklyndee can prob say more, but I’m pretty sure Ruiz isn’t the only one. He is just the loudest in the room. Lemonis said specifically that he got of BoTs so he could be involved more. There is Carol Soffer and her Arabian prince business partner as well
There is a handful of them. However the problem as I've alluded to before behind this is all nil has really done is open up free agency essentially. It's monetized boosters and alumni bases for spots that we flat out can't compete with annually. Just look at it big picture. Great we have the mas brothers,Ruiz, the soffers, dimari ,lemonis, Rodriguez and a handful of others. But how do you slow down a network of individuals with limitless wallets themselves. Certain schools this is just made for. We're doing an amazing job in this space right now and honestly I NEVER thought we'd be able to compete in this environment for nil stuff. But long term let's just hope it's somehow sustainable.

Oh please, the poor exploited collegiate athlete argument.

They were granted access to a school many of them wouldn't ever be admitted to if not for relaxed standards.

They were afforded many opportunities, all for free, something the average college student could only dream of.

They eat lavishly, not a dime spent, while the regular student is lucky to eat regular meals, not a thing called Ramen out of their microwave.

They get injured, not a bill to be seen.

They don't have to worry about rent, it's taken care of.

They don't have to worry about money if they take advantage of all the freebies they get and are smart with their stipends.

They get to see a lot of the country, again not a dime spent.

They have access to tutors that make sure they stay on track to graduate.

They get special treatment, are often adored by the fan base, because they're an athlete. There's perks that come with that and access to things your regular student athlete doesn't get.

They leave college debt free and aren't saddled with debt. All the while your fellow students have hidden athletic fees added to their tuition.

Very few go pro, but you are afforded the opportunity to do so if you're good enough. Hopefully most take advantage of that free higher education since most will be using it.

You make a ton of memories and college life is a total blast.

There's more, but whatever. It'll likely fall on deaf ears. I was a D1 athlete although I still could've gone to college if I wasn't. Debt free, into the world I went and I'm thankful for the opportunity I had. As a father, I wouldn't give a **** if it was the old way, I'd be happy as a pig in **** that I wouldn't be paying and neither would he when he left school.

Now if you want to make the case that certain schools are making payments to players, you enforce it. You don't blow the entire thing up. Consider increasing stipends. This **** is going to brutalize the game. 2 mil a year the ****? What a joke.

Man, what little monsters we're making. Thankfully it's only going to be a small percentage of them that get deals or lucrative ones at that.
While I strongly disagree with a large portion of what you're saying I will also conceed 1000000% this isn't the way to fix the situation. It's basically the NCAA conceeding they're not willing to enforce the same set of standards across the board. Because if they'd simply police the rules more efficiently than this becomes a moot point. At the very least you need a hard cap on this. I'd put a hard cap on each team OR like you said increase the stipends across the board. Myself being here I always saw what this meant financially for the school and for the city(all that **** excess parking paid rent for the whole year) but other than certain situations I'm not willing to discuss on here it was something alot of us came to resent. To see yourself as a piece of something that so many people are rewarded from but as a piece the rewards are kept away from you... That's knuckin futs...

8M?

These NIL deals will start determining who plays on the field. You don't pay s college freshman $2M to sit, whether he's actually good or not. Somebody, is going to overpay for some bum and set their program back.
No they won't. Because nil deals aren't dependent on what school kids attend. Like for instance for Malachi and this 8m deal. If he signs this now(which I'm not sure he has or can by law honestly) but hypothetically let's say he signs right now. The logical conclusion is he just gave a verbal to SC so you'd believe this deal is tied to the school. However if this kid calls their bluff and backs out of a verbal to them the nil then isn't voided as a result. If that happened then it would really become the wild west and lawyers would get involved as well...

Advertisement
But again, that's not a matter of "getting with the times". It's not college football anymore once it goes down the path of unregulated spending, so why pretend it is? It's not amateur collegiate sport, it's a corporate league that just uses college names. The allegiance and passion many have for THEIR college teams come from being part of that community. Without the true college connection, it might as well be the NBA Developmental League or Minor League Baseball...and how big and passionate of a fanbase do those have?
You’re making points that may have been worth assessing 15 years ago. There’s been dozens of NCAA rule changes and inconsistent enforcement of rules that have led to this. Nick Saban has basically spent his entire tenure at Alabama lobbying his buddy Mark Emmert for rule changes to benefit his ability to spend money at his disposal for competitive advantage.

This has long ago evolved from the nature of amateur athletics. Begging for things to stay the same is asking for a true death of the sport where a select few programs maintain their established advantage and exploitation of the major college football athlete continues.

Wake up to the times. Provide some concrete solutions for betterment of the sport that are actually in touch with the reality of the sport. But please stop screaming at the sky because it’s raining.

A year ago.
How much do you think he earned on that deal, since he never played and has since transferred? I assume the deal wasn’t fully guaranteed, that would be foolish on the part of the company.

There is a handful of them. However the problem as I've alluded to before behind this is all nil has really done is open up free agency essentially. It's monetized boosters and alumni bases for spots that we flat out can't compete with annually. Just look at it big picture. Great we have the mas brothers,Ruiz, the soffers, dimari ,lemonis, Rodriguez and a handful of others. But how do you slow down a network of individuals with limitless wallets themselves. Certain schools this is just made for. We're doing an amazing job in this space right now and honestly I NEVER thought we'd be able to compete in this environment for nil stuff. But long term let's just hope it's somehow sustainable.

We need some corporate deals. Need to land some big deal for a star player at some point

Advertisement
No they won't. Because nil deals aren't dependent on what school kids attend. Like for instance for Malachi and this 8m deal. If he signs this now(which I'm not sure he has or can by law honestly) but hypothetically let's say he signs right now. The logical conclusion is he just gave a verbal to SC so you'd believe this deal is tied to the school. However if this kid calls their bluff and backs out of a verbal to them the nil then isn't voided as a result. If that happened then it would really become the wild west and lawyers would get involved as well...

Really? Then, theoretically, could an OL sign an NIL deal tied to Texas and then sign his actual LOI to another school?

In your scenario, the athlete pockets the $325K signing bonus. The collective, if truly tied to a school, choses not to use the player’s NIL and makes no more payments, takes a write-off on the bonus. The kid’s reputation is perhaps stained as related to being offered other deals.

No?

While I strongly disagree with a large portion of what you're saying I will also conceed 1000000% this isn't the way to fix the situation. It's basically the NCAA conceeding they're not willing to enforce the same set of standards across the board. Because if they'd simply police the rules more efficiently than this becomes a moot point. At the very least you need a hard cap on this. I'd put a hard cap on each team OR like you said increase the stipends across the board. Myself being here I always saw what this meant financially for the school and for the city(all that **** excess parking paid rent for the whole year) but other than certain situations I'm not willing to discuss on here it was something alot of us came to resent. To see yourself as a piece of something that so many people are rewarded from but as a piece the rewards are kept away from you... That's knuckin futs...

I get what you're saying, at least I think I do.

You played on a great team, the greatest of all most say. Most don't though. Most wouldn't have a shot at college if not for their athletic ability. That's not because they're dumb, but athletes often get passed through high school just enough to stay eligible. There's a lot of factors involved.

You also went to an affluent school. Those who aren't on scholarship here aren't your typical state school student. They come from families with means. There's a big difference between the typical Miami student and whatever state school student.

Sure, the university profited. How much is greatly debated. Some big schools are flush with cash while most have to supplement their income with student generated fees added to tuition.

I don't know exactly who you are, but more than half your team went on to other things besides an NFL paycheck. Would they be in that position had they not been given a scholarship? Would they have even gotten in without relaxed standards? Would they have made it through school without mandatory study halls and help from tutors?

Yes, a slice of the pie is nice. A larger slice would be as well. This free for all stuff, it's crazy. All that money that student athletes generate don't like the pockets of anyone besides the coaches largely. It goes towards improving the school itself for future generations of players and the other students. You're contributing to their experience one day.

It's a grind though. You hurt daily a lot of the year. While you get to do something that was fun and your passion in high school, it becomes more a job in college. It's not all rainbows and puppies, but what in life is. I wouldn't trade my family to go back, but at the time I hated leaving.

Didn’t know we had so many anti-capitalist on the board, duly noted.
Lots of fake capitalists. Only some people are allowed to take advantage of the system and get paid what someone thinks they’re worth. People here acting like these athletes are robbing someone for the money. If some dude wants to offer a kid 2 million a year to play football sight unseen, he’s paying him what he believes the kid is worth.

Advertisement
Back