8 million NIL deal shiiiiiiiiiit

Think about it. NIL is essentially a private business entity doing business with private individuals. How can you suggest some regulations on how much money these people do deals for. As my mentor used to say, don't count other peoples money. The market will adjust. Those who don't or can't will fall down.
Then end college football and just make a developmental league. Because allowing unregulated payments destroys any last semblance of what college football was.

Advertisement
That’s fine, but if they couldn’t compete with bags against Alabama and Georgia and LSU for the last twenty years why would they be able to outbid them in the NIL era? Signing a QB for $8M is a huge, attention getting move…but they are going to have to pay inflated rates to lure the other 5 star talent that they need.
They fell off after Fulmer and never got the right coach again. While Fulmer was there, while they only won one chip, they were a machine recruiting and amassing talent.

8M?

These NIL deals will start determining who plays on the field. You don't pay s college freshman $2M to sit, whether he's actually good or not. Somebody, is going to overpay for some bum and set their program back.
That's where it's gonna cause conflict backups dont get paid 2 mil while the starting QB getting nothing, this gonna start forcing the coaches hand and gonna get people fired

Advertisement
That's where it's gonna cause conflict backups dont get paid 2 mil while the starting QB getting nothing, this gonna start forcing the coaches hand and gonna get people fired

Thus is what I was leading to. For every Dashaun Watson (a program changing talent), there's a million Kyle Wrights (an overprojected talent who did not live up to expectations). Can you imagine being a HC and having to play a kid because a major booster is backing him.

Some schools are going to end up with Drew Henson/Tom Brady situation that Lloyd Carr had to deal with a Michigan.

This is why Alonzos addition can not be overlooked. He, along side our veteran coaches, should help us avoid such situations.

Then end college football and just make a developmental league. Because allowing unregulated payments destroys any last semblance of what college football was.
My friend what college football was was a system that exploited, controlled and regulated athletes. It also allowed some entities to in fact make payments to athletes while punishing other schools. It did not allow athletes to profit from their popularity while they profited from games, tv and apparel ect. If you had a top talent son today your view would be different.

I said this and people told me Texas billionaires will just keep throwing this type of money into TAMU/Texas until the end of never because they got it like that. Lol. Really? So 30m a year with no SEC title or even CFP appearance to show for it? Let’s see about that. These people became billionaires not being stupid with there money.
While you may end up being right, I think it could be wrong to look at this as an “investment” the same way as someone trying to make money. These are people throwing money at a hobby, a fandom of their alma mater, not getting in on the ground floor that will provide growth on their capital. May they become dissatisfied and reduce or eliminate contributions? Sure. But if they aren’t doing this with the prospects of a financial return or over extending themselves, and there is nothing that indicates college team success will provide that, the dynamic is not the same. There isn’t a stake for these guys (in most cases I would guess) in what the schools/conferences will receive from bowl game and tv contract payouts linked to on field success, I don’t think.

Advertisement
This is honestly unsustainable imo. Wait till all these billionaires don't see the expected return on their investment. Eventually they'll get tired of spending those types of figures once a few of those types bust. Dumping 30+ mil a year for a class and A&M and most likely not winning the SEC anytime soon.
It is the essence of capitalism. The market needs to set itself and that takes time.

My friend what college football was was a system that exploited, controlled and regulated athletes. It also allowed some entities to in fact make payments to athletes while punishing other schools. It did not allow athletes to profit from their popularity while they profited from games, tv and apparel ect. If you had a top talent son today your view would be different.

Oh please, the poor exploited collegiate athlete argument.

They were granted access to a school many of them wouldn't ever be admitted to if not for relaxed standards.

They were afforded many opportunities, all for free, something the average college student could only dream of.

They eat lavishly, not a dime spent, while the regular student is lucky to eat regular meals, not a thing called Ramen out of their microwave.

They get injured, not a bill to be seen.

They don't have to worry about rent, it's taken care of.

They don't have to worry about money if they take advantage of all the freebies they get and are smart with their stipends.

They get to see a lot of the country, again not a dime spent.

They have access to tutors that make sure they stay on track to graduate.

They get special treatment, are often adored by the fan base, because they're an athlete. There's perks that come with that and access to things your regular student athlete doesn't get.

They leave college debt free and aren't saddled with debt. All the while your fellow students have hidden athletic fees added to their tuition.

Very few go pro, but you are afforded the opportunity to do so if you're good enough. Hopefully most take advantage of that free higher education since most will be using it.

You make a ton of memories and college life is a total blast.

There's more, but whatever. It'll likely fall on deaf ears. I was a D1 athlete although I still could've gone to college if I wasn't. Debt free, into the world I went and I'm thankful for the opportunity I had. As a father, I wouldn't give a **** if it was the old way, I'd be happy as a pig in **** that I wouldn't be paying and neither would he when he left school.

Now if you want to make the case that certain schools are making payments to players, you enforce it. You don't blow the entire thing up. Consider increasing stipends. This **** is going to brutalize the game. 2 mil a year the ****? What a joke.

Man, what little monsters we're making. Thankfully it's only going to be a small percentage of them that get deals or lucrative ones at that.

Last edited:
8M?

These NIL deals will start determining who plays on the field. You don't pay s college freshman $2M to sit, whether he's actually good or not. Somebody, is going to overpay for some bum and set their program back.
Was thinking same thing. OSU signed a qb two years ago that was number 1 in the country. Kid had an NIL deal that guaranteed him a couple million if he started x amount of games. He asked Ryan Day would he start x amount of games to get the cash and coach said no. He then transferred shortly after. I think the coaches at the top schools will have no problems. Coaches like Norvell will be bullied by folks behind these deals to play a certain player even if they are not good. Saban, Dabo, Day, Kirby no way in ****

Advertisement
Tennessee and Michigan have literally broken the bank and 0.00 titles.
Now vols going full Vegas whale spending for a qb.

Advertisement
Oh please, the poor exploited collegiate athlete argument.

They were granted access to a school many of them wouldn't ever be admitted to if not for relaxed standards.

They were afforded many opportunities, all for free, something the average college student could only dream of.

They eat lavishly, not a dime spent, while the regular student is lucky to eat regular meals, not a thing called Ramen out of their microwave.

They get injured, not a bill to be seen.

They don't have to worry about rent, it's taken care of.

They don't have to worry about money if they take advantage of all the freebies they get and are smart with their stipends.

They get to see a lot of the country, again not a dime spent.

They have access to tutors that make sure they stay on track to graduate.

They get special treatment, are often adored by the fan base, because they're an athlete. There's perks that come with that and access to things your regular student athlete doesn't get.

They leave college debt free and aren't saddled with debt. All the while your fellow students have hidden athletic fees added to their tuition.

Very few go pro, but you are afforded the opportunity to do so if you're good enough. Hopefully most take advantage of that free higher education since most will be using it.

You make a ton of memories and college life is a total blast.

There's more, but whatever. It'll likely fall on deaf ears. I was a D1 athlete although I still could've gone to college if I wasn't. Debt free, into the world I went and I'm thankful for the opportunity I had. As a father, I wouldn't give a **** if it was the old way, I'd be happy as a pig in **** that I wouldn't be paying and neither would he when he left school.

Now if you want to make the case that certain schools are making payments to players, you enforce it. You don't blow the entire thing up. Consider increasing stipends. This **** is going to brutalize the game. 2 mil a year the ****? What a joke.

Man, what little monsters we're making. Thankfully it's only going to be a small percentage of them that get deals or lucrative ones at that.
Getting some stuff doesn't mean they're getting what they're worth. Free rent, tuition, and meals is nice, but not that much when you're a star qb for Alabama, generating the school millions of dollars. They were being exploited, just not fully exploited.

Whether or not thats true doesn't change my point. The path it's going on has nothing to do with college, so then just disconnect it instead of pretending otherwise. The way it is going it will be nothing more than a pro league for younger players, that happens to use the logos, colors, and mascots of universities.

Whether or not thats true doesn't change my point. The path it's going on has nothing to do with college, so then just disconnect it instead of pretending otherwise. The way it is going it will be nothing more than a pro league for younger players, that happens to use the logos, colors, and mascots of universities.
Isn't that the same as creating another league?

Advertisement
Back