8 million NIL deal shiiiiiiiiiit

Lawyer Mike Caspino, who drafted the contract, allowed The Athletic to review and verify the contract in exchange for keeping the player and collectives’ identities anonymous. It provides a window into how donor-driven third parties tied to specific schools operate.

“There’s an element of trust there,” Caspino said in regards to a collective offering that much money with no written assurance the athlete will sign with the donors’ school come December.

But in exchange for receiving his lucrative advances, the player hands over to the collective exclusive rights to use of his NIL, which would then negotiate outside opportunities on his behalf. In theory, that could dissuade him from entering the transfer portal, as he would not be able to make paid appearances promoting his next school.
Interesting. So he cannot make a dime from any other NIL deal, ever. He’s locked into that school. I wonder what the language is if he gets kicked off the team? And does that NIL extend into the pros?

In a way it reminds me of a story I read last year about Latin American baseball players. As prospects, they’ll sign deals before entering MLB which appear lucrative. But if and when they reach MLB, they end up forfeiting much of their rookie deals to those people who put them under contract. I wonder how far we are from that? A player gets a $20M deal to join a college, but in turn has to pay a percent of his rookie NFL deal as part of the agreement.

Advertisement
I thought ppl on here said its the hick schools that will be the main isue with NIL?. LOL

Its the big city markets with ample spots for nil show ups etc...How much **** times could bama kids take a picture in front of Hickory Chevrolet Auto Sales?.

It can be both, but it will be big state schools with massive fan bases. The power schools of today aren't going anywhere.

USC is largely an anomaly. UCLA could become one. Is there room for CAL? Stanford could put out a lot of cash. That state is loaded.

Northwestern isn't going to all of a sudden become a problem in the Big. Neither will Rutgers with that NE coast money.

Houston isn't going to all of a sudden become a problem in Texas.

Washington, big money in Seattle, but it isn't going to be out spending anyone.

Georgia Tech, heart of the ATL, UGA isn't worried.

The list goes on with city schools that have money, but won't amount to a never ran.

This is honestly unsustainable imo. Wait till all these billionaires don't see the expected return on their investment. Eventually they'll get tired of spending those types of figures once a few of those types bust. Dumping 30+ mil a year for a class and A&M and most likely not winning the SEC anytime soon.
I said this and people told me Texas billionaires will just keep throwing this type of money into TAMU/Texas until the end of never because they got it like that. Lol. Really? So 30m a year with no SEC title or even CFP appearance to show for it? Let’s see about that. These people became billionaires not being stupid with there money.

Advertisement
It’s for Malachi Nelson.

The attorney who put the deal together operates out of Orange County.

He’s is big time power broker down in Southern Cali & has connections to Serra HS & Los Alamitos.
More evidence that schools in Big major market cities or states with many wealthy benefactors will be the biggest players in the NIL market for top recruits. Many don't like it, but a players' value is what any rich person, business or group is willing to pay.

This 💩 is getting ridiculous...Keep it at a minimum
Think about it. NIL is essentially a private business entity doing business with private individuals. How can you suggest some regulations on how much money these people do deals for. As my mentor used to say, don't count other peoples money. The market will adjust. Those who don't or can't will fall down.

All this while Fsu couldn't get the pizza NIL to go through
Boston Celtics Lol GIF by NBA

Advertisement
I would be okay with this if the kids are obligated to stay all four years and graduate.. Also stipulations for not transferring or sitting out bowl games would be nice too. If you are going to take money you should be loyal to your school. If not you have to pay back all the money.
Might save College football in the long run if they can do things like that.

Interesting. So he cannot make a dime from any other NIL deal, ever. He’s locked into that school. I wonder what the language is if he gets kicked off the team? And does that NIL extend into the pros?

In a way it reminds me of a story I read last year about Latin American baseball players. As prospects, they’ll sign deals before entering MLB which appear lucrative. But if and when they reach MLB, they end up forfeiting much of their rookie deals to those people who put them under contract. I wonder how far we are from that? A player gets a $20M deal to join a college, but in turn has to pay a percent of his rookie NFL deal as part of the agreement.
And what if the player didn’t live up to expectations? Or was injured and missed an entire season?

I suspect the language of the contract requires the player to meet specific criteria to earn up to $8M. I’ve read NILs cannot be tied to performance directly, but if the player ended up on the bench or was injured ‘the collective’ would not have as much use for the player and therefore pay less.

True, @apfenny3 ?

Advertisement
There's so much money in LA that both those schools could rule college football if people get behind them.

**** isn't good for the sport if things keep trending up like they are.
They could have all the money in the world but if Mario keeps the TOP S. FL kids home we will compete with anybody on the field.

I don't wanna hear anyone complain, this is what everyone wanted and just had to have! High school players getting paid right? No! Don't do anything! Leave it alone! This is what y'all were screaming for so hear it is now deal with it! Sit back and watch college football decay as this continues to get worse. Y'all should be proud of yourselves, I have news for everyone, you haven't seen anything yet! This has only just begun.
You're right. Mario is about to blow CFB up.

Wow..

Kids getting paid more than their coaches now (besides the HC). When do the coaches start looking for deals? When does the craziness stop?

Advertisement
Wow..

Kids getting paid more than their coaches now (besides the HC). When do the coaches start looking for deals? When does the craziness stop?
When Bubby McFivestar gets the first $200M NIL, guaranteed, with no strings or clauses. And then he retires before playing a down of football.

Advertisement
Back