2025 Vernell "Trey" Brown III 4* WR from Orlando Evans [commits to UiF]

Yea im not even worried about him tbh if he comes great if he sticks oh well.

But Lagway is the ultimate prize his only connection to UF is the BIlly Napier staff. Without him he is as good as gone I would say.
Can't see lagway staying there with or without him unless he shines this season cause his playing time will more than likely come this season once they have nothing to play for.

Advertisement
Can't see lagway staying there with or without him unless he shines this season cause his playing time will more than likely come this season once they have nothing to play for.
What you think chances are we target Lagway next portal season? Seems that'd be a pretty good move imo.
I guess it depends how staff feels about Poff/Emory.

All I know for sure is next year portal we got to go all out for the top WR in portal - especially if we're just rocking with one of the guys on roster already.

What you think chances are we target Lagway next portal season? Seems that'd be a pretty good move imo.

All I know for sure is next year portal we got to go all out for the top WR in portal - especially if we're just rocking with one of the guys on roster already.
Not sure if we'd do that with nickel coming in, although I'd personally be all for it....think if he portals it'd be somewhere like a&m, usc, or be clemsons first ever portal get

You guys keep assuming we're gonna keep going heavy in the portal. I've told y'all for years the portal is not what we're interested in. It's in an ideal world simply a place you go to for a last piece to a puzzle. We may go to the portal one more time for a starting QB if the juice is really worth the squeeze. But we're gonna start pushing away high school targets being brought in by doing that ****. We went heavy in the portal up to this point out of necessity. Now MOST position groups we've targeted out of high school are STARTING to see significant improvement. That's our end goal. Building a 3-5 year squad that's sustainable. Not a year to 2 year rental.

Ie Jeremiah.

Advertisement
You guys keep assuming we're gonna keep going heavy in the portal. I've told y'all for years the portal is not what we're interested in. It's in an ideal world simply a place you go to for a last piece to a puzzle. We may go to the portal one more time for a starting QB if the juice is really worth the squeeze. But we're gonna start pushing away high school targets being brought in by doing that ****. We went heavy in the portal up to this point out of necessity. Now MOST position groups we've targeted out of high school are STARTING to see significant improvement. That's our end goal. Building a 3-5 year squad that's sustainable. Not a year to 2 year rental.

Ie Jeremiah.
Yeah I agree with all that.... but going for an elite WR makes a **** load of sense for next season. Next season we're losing our top 3 WRs, and we're walking in with

JR: Isaiah Horton and Ray Ray Joseph
SO: Robby Washington, Jojo Trader, Ny Carr, Chance Robinson

I wouldn't expect anything from Redding or Kirk obviously. So we basically have nothing proven at all right now. I mean I guess all the young guys can prove themselves this year. Seems risky though. So losing our top 3, but adding a top guy seems like a good move. I wouldn't count on True freshman from 2025 class to contribute for what should still be a CFP quality team.

Yeah I agree with all that.... but going for an elite WR makes a **** load of sense for next season. Next season we're losing our top 3 WRs, and we're walking in with

JR: Isaiah Horton and Ray Ray Joseph
SO: Robby Washington, Jojo Trader, Ny Carr, Chance Robinson

I wouldn't expect anything from Redding or Kirk obviously. So we basically have nothing proven at all right now. I mean I guess all the young guys can prove themselves this year. Seems risky though. So losing our top 3, but adding a top guy seems like a good move. I wouldn't count on True freshman from 2025 class to contribute for what should still be a CFP quality team.

Sam Brown has another year of eligibility after this one if he wants it.

Still doing a lil four play right now. We tryna make her get dem drawers off! BIG PAUSE NO DIDDY
1000001010.gif

Saban got guys because he was a big name. Remember he had won a championship at lsu and then left the nfl to go to bama. Those kids saw him win at Lsu and then he coming from the league it’s an easy sell.

Mario is an elite recruiter who was coming off his first season so he was selling the future. Let mario somehow win only 6-7 games this year and watch how recruiting take a hit
The thing is we're not going to win only 6-7 games this year. More like 10+.

Advertisement

Ie Jeremiah.

We got certain posters who have a desperate love affair with the Portal. And a hard crush on Prison Mike Norvell. They're out on that ledge, you won't be able to talk them down.

You get the talent anywhere you can get it from.

EVERY playoff & Championship team has used the Portal significantly every year its been open, literally ALL OF THEM.

If we stop using the Portal just for unknown commodities, that's an unwise strategy.

Every year is a one year one-off. Win now & keep winning now.

EVERY playoff & Championship team has used the Portal significantly every year its been open, literally ALL OF THEM.

If we stop using the Portal just for unknown commodities, that's an unwise strategy.

Hopefully the goal is fielding the best team and not protecting the most feelings.

Advertisement

I was gonna say just not using the portal because we fear pushing hs kids away wouldn’t be smart at all. Texas lands elite wr recruits every year and they just brought in bond, ohio state lands top rbs and they just brought in judkins, lsu lands top wrs they just brought in daniels,oregon lands top wrs they got stewart, Michigan just brought in a bunch of dbs and they went in the portal for olineman after being an elite oline the year before last.

The list goes on and on lmao why would we be the school to say no to the portal? Literally every elite team goes to the portal every year for multiple positions why shouldn’t we?

We keep connecting the portal to fsu process ,thats why we look down on it but literally every contender recruits elite hs guys and portal guys at the same time..kinda like we did this off season and now we all feel great about winning this year lol

I was gonna say just not using the portal because we fear pushing hs kids away wouldn’t be smart at all. Texas lands elite wr recruits every year and they just brought in bond, ohio state lands top rbs and they just brought in judkins, lsu lands top wrs they just brought in daniels,oregon lands top wrs they got stewart, Michigan just brought in a bunch of dbs and they went in the portal for olineman after being an elite oline the year before last.

The list goes on and on lmao why would we be the school to say no to the portal? Literally every elite team goes to the portal every year for multiple positions why shouldn’t we?

We keep connecting the portal to fsu process ,thats why we look down on it but literally every contender recruits elite hs guys and portal guys at the same time..kinda like we did this off season and now we all feel great about winning this year lol
Weird love affair.

Nonsense. The portal (by winning teams)has been used to put the finishing touches on a solid core. The portal pieces that were part of that core were long term portal pieces. Not one year rentals. If you're going into the portal yearly for QBs,for left tackles etc you lost before the season even started.

Maybe we just have a very different opinion of what it means to build a team based on portal players yearly(since that's what we were discussing). Not 2 or 3 year dudes. Only successful QBs I can think of who were portal players on playoff or championship teams or anything similar was penix. Since it's literally every team I guess let's say the regular playoff or championship teams for a while now have been bama(no portal built teams I can think of)uga(same)OSU(same)Clemson(same) Michigan (same)so what championship teams have had A CORE built out of yearly portal players? Oregon had nix(2 years & had 1 good year) Washington(penix) maybe to prove your point you'll say lsu has been one of those teams so you can grasp for Jayden Daniels. This is the first year I can think of where there's been heavy turnover out of core players across the board at a lot of top tier schools.

Advertisement
I think our portal usage will drop once the roster is where Mario likes, but it will still be a role in talent aquisition.

You have to remember in this era you will have players leave thru portal you may not want to. So depending on high school recruiting to build roster is trickier now than few years ago.

We lost 2023 signees already in Wayne and Pulliam already.

Portal will ne necessary to some extent in this era.

I think our portal usage will drop once the roster is where Mario likes, but it will still be a role in talent aquisition.

You have to remember in this era you will have players leave thru portal you may not want to. So depending on high school recruiting to build roster is trickier now than few years ago.

We lost 2023 signees already in Wayne and Pulliam already.

Portal will ne necessary to some extent in this era.

Acheampong too. But I do think Mario will load up on HS talent with enough depth that he can process kids out or they can decide to leave for whatever reason and we still have enough depth where we don’t rely on the portal too much. We were so bad when he took over Mario didn’t have that luxury. Each year he will have fewer true needs.

Next year we won’t need the portal for: RB, OT, TE, DE, LB. … possibly WR. If a superstar comes available you take him but we don’t need it. QB, S, and CB … maybe C … are the most likely spots we’ll be filling but even there we could be pleasantly surprised in 2024 and decide not to go prowling.

Last edited:

Ie Jeremiah.
1 year rental. Fixed it for you.

Advertisement
Back