2025 Vernell "Trey" Brown III 4* WR from Orlando Evans [commits to UiF]

Advertisement
You guys keep assuming we're gonna keep going heavy in the portal. I've told y'all for years the portal is not what we're interested in. It's in an ideal world simply a place you go to for a last piece to a puzzle. We may go to the portal one more time for a starting QB if the juice is really worth the squeeze. But we're gonna start pushing away high school targets being brought in by doing that ****. We went heavy in the portal up to this point out of necessity. Now MOST position groups we've targeted out of high school are STARTING to see significant improvement. That's our end goal. Building a 3-5 year squad that's sustainable. Not a year to 2 year rental.

Ie Jeremiah.
I would think that with Lagway, the juice is worth the squeeze. Aside from that I'm in full agreement with Mario's plan the way you layed it out.

What's your point?

You don't think "my point" is that you have grossly overstated the following sentence?

"EVERY playoff & Championship team has used the Portal significantly every year its been open, literally ALL OF THEM."

I value your analysis and insights. But you cheapen it when you make broad overstatements that are factually unsupportable, and then fail to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, you overdid things a bit.

You chose to use words like "EVERY" and "ALL OF THEM" and capitalize them for emphasis. But you are wrong when you do so. I do not deny that UGa got a couple of key contributors in a couple of those years, but one of those years involved just ONE transfer. Do you think that taking one 2-star transfer constitutes "significant" usage of the Portal? And you can try to cover up that reality by acting like UGa went for "quality" over "quantity", but you are the one who claimed "EVERY" playoff/Championship team has used the Portal "significantly every year its been open ALL OF THEM".

---Georgia has not done so. Georgia has consistently signed very few (4, 3, 1, and 4) Portal players over a period of time which includes TWO national championships in 2021 and 2022. So you are incorrect.

---Alabama has not done so. Alabama signed 2, 4, 5, and 5 Portal players over the same time period. And one of those 5-person Portal classes included Tyler Harrell. Keep in mind that the year of signing "2" guys in the Portal was a national championship year (2020). Again, you are incorrect.

---Ohio Taint has not done so. Although Taint took 9 transfers in 2023 (a year they did NOT make the CFP), they took 2, 1, and 4 in 2020-2022 (when they made the CFP in two of those three years). Again, you are incorrect.

---Michigan has not done so. Michigan took 1, 4, 3, and 9 transfers over the past four seasons (although I guess you can argue that the year they took 9, they won the national championship). But they also made the Final Four two other times with minimal transfers. Again, you are incorrect.

---Notre Dame has not done so. Notre Dame took 4, 2, 4, and 7 transfers over the past four seasons. Notre Dame made the Final Four in a year where they took 4 transfers. Again, you are incorrect.

Why can't you just admit your overstatement? You don't even have to call it a "mistake" or "error", but you are absolutely wrong.

If you believe that signing 12 and 16 and 16 and 17 and 17 Portal players OVER A FOUR YEAR PERIOD is "significant", when the most active teams sign those numbers IN ONE YEAR, then I don't think we are using the word "significant" to mean the same thing.

The fact remains that you are advocating HEAVIER use of the Portal than just 1-5 guys. Don't deny that. And, sure, we can argue that currently Miami IS NOT at Georgia's level or Alabama's or Taint's or Michigan's or Dame's level. That is fine. But Mario is trying to get to UGa's or Bama's or Taint's or Michigan's or Dame's level of HS recruiting development and/or UGa's or Bama's or Taint's or Michigan's or Dame's minimal use of the Portal. And let's not forget that Clemson ALSO made the Final Four in 2020 with minimal Portal usage. So I've cited SIX teams that defy your claim, even if one of them (Clemson) has probably taken things too far. That is 6 of the 9 Final Four teams over the past 4 years (I'm not including one-timers Texas or TCU or Cincy, with only Texas being a potential annual threat to make the Final Four).

If you want to hide behind your use of the word "significantly" as INCLUSIVE of UGa's and Bama's and Taint's and Michigan's and Dame's minimal Portal usage over a 4-year period that includes 4 combined National Championships, that's your choice. But you do so when a bunch of dimwitted Mopers misinterpret such word-choice to mean that it is "good" to root for maximum Portal usage by Miami and "bad" to advocate for heavier reliance on "high school recruiting and development" by Miami.

And cway is your mentally-challenged star pupil.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You don't think "my point" is that you have grossly overstated the following sentence?

"EVERY playoff & Championship team has used the Portal significantly every year its been open, literally ALL OF THEM."

I value your analysis and insights. But you cheapen it when you make broad overstatements that are factually unsupportable, and then fail to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, you overdid things a bit.

You chose to use words like "EVERY" and "ALL OF THEM" and capitalize them for emphasis. But you are wrong when you do so. I do not deny that UGa got a couple of key contributors in a couple of those years, but one of those years involved just ONE transfer. Do you think that taking one 2-star transfer constitutes "significant" usage of the Portal? And you can try to cover up that reality by acting like UGa went for "quality" over "quantity", but you are the one who claimed "EVERY" playoff/Championship team has used the Portal "significantly every year its been open ALL OF THEM".

---Georgia has not done so. Georgia has consistently signed very few (4, 3, 1, and 4) Portal players over a period of time which includes TWO national championships in 2021 and 2022. So you are incorrect.

---Alabama has not done so. Alabama signed 2, 4, 5, and 5 Portal players over the same time period. And one of those 5-person Portal classes included Tyler Harrell. Keep in mind that the year of signing "2" guys in the Portal was a national championship year (2020). Again, you are incorrect.

---Ohio Taint has not done so. Although Taint took 9 transfers in 2023 (a year they did NOT make the CFP), they took 2, 1, and 4 in 2020-2022 (when they made the CFP in two of those three years). Again, you are incorrect.

---Michigan has not done so. Michigan took 1, 4, 3, and 9 transfers over the past four seasons (although I guess you can argue that the year they took 9, they won the national championship). But they also made the Final Four two other times with minimal transfers. Again, you are incorrect.

---Notre Dame has not done so. Notre Dame took 4, 2, 4, and 7 transfers over the past four seasons. Notre Dame made the Final Four in a year where they took 4 transfers. Again, you are incorrect.

Why can't you just admit your overstatement? You don't even have to call it a "mistake" or "error", but you are absolutely wrong.

If you believe that signing 12 and 16 and 16 and 17 and 17 Portal players OVER A FOUR YEAR PERIOD is "significant", when the most active teams sign those numbers IN ONE YEAR, then I don't think we are using the word "significant" to mean the same thing.

The fact remains that you are advocating HEAVIER use of the Portal than just 1-5 guys. Don't deny that. And, sure, we can argue that currently Miami IS NOT at Georgia's level or Alabama's or Taint's or Michigan's or Dame's level. That is fine. But Mario is trying to get to UGa's or Bama's or Taint's or Michigan's or Dame's level of HS recruiting development and/or UGa's or Bama's or Taint's or Michigan's or Dame's minimal use of the Portal. And let's not forget that Clemson ALSO made the Final Four in 2020 with minimal Portal usage. So I've cited SIX teams that defy your claim, even if one of them (Clemson) has probably taken things too far. That is 6 of the 9 Final Four teams over the past 4 years (I'm not including one-timers Texas or TCU or Cincy, with only Texas being a potential annual threat to make the Final Four).

If you want to hide behind your use of the word "significantly" as INCLUSIVE of UGa's and Bama's and Taint's and Michigan's and Dame's minimal Portal usage over a 4-year period that includes 4 combined National Championships, that's your choice. But you do so when a bunch of dimwitted Mopers misinterpret such word-choice to mean that it is "good" to root for maximum Portal usage by Miami and "bad" to advocate for heavier reliance on "high school recruiting and development" by Miami.

And cway is your mentally-challenged star pupil.
You're 100% right, I'm wrong.

You're 100% right, I'm wrong.

It's all good.

Recruit the Portal as needs dictate. But there's nothing wrong with making HS recruiting and long-term development your primary goals.

Mario just needs to deliver. Having better/more-motivated coaches than we had in Year 1 should help.

Recruit, develop, backfill.

bob ross life GIF

Advertisement
@1murhurricane yo can we get an update on WR recruiting? @DMoney been saying we’re going to put foot on gas basically as year gets underway and we prove ourselves on field…

But seems we might not be in on the elite of the elite as much… and like we might show out offensively but so will Oregon for Dallas Wilson..

I'm sure we will kick it up but TBH some head scratching evals and lack of pursuit on some targets that most schools seem to want besides us lol. I have faith in the staff but I am questioning some things in that room this year 100%. As always just my opinion...

I'm sure we will kick it up but TBH some head scratching evals and lack of pursuit on some targets that most schools seem to want besides us lol. I have faith in the staff but I am questioning some things in that room this year 100%. As always just my opinion...
Preach!! The WR board is a head scratcher and some decisions don’t make sense and there should not be an issue commenting on it but the slurpers get upset!

Advertisement
I mean with the portal being what it is I don’t even care as much with HS whiffs anymore

Kinda sad how much the old school HS recruiting blueprint has taken a backseat with the portal but adapt is the name of the game I guess

I mean with the portal being what it is I don’t even care as much with HS whiffs anymore

Kinda sad how much the old school HS recruiting blueprint has taken a backseat with the portal but adapt is the name of the game I guess

HS recruiting will always be king.

I'm not saying adding pieces via the portal isn't important and won't continue to be...it absolutely will. But watch what happens with FSU this year if you want to see the value of HS recruiting vs the portal. This is year 5 for Mikey.....he should be absolutely flooded with developed recruits he pulled from High School. As they lose a few games this year, count how many of the aforementioned players you see.

I'm not saying adding pieces via the portal isn't important and won't continue to be...it absolutely will. But watch what happens with FSU this year if you want to see the value of HS recruiting vs the portal. This is year 5 for Mikey.....he should be absolutely flooded with developed recruits he pulled from High School. As they lose a few games this year, count how many of the aforementioned players you see.
Agreed. HS recruiting is key to sustained success. You have to build depth and develop. Any team could pop up for one year with the portal, but you still have to build via HS recruiting. The best teams will do what Miami, UGA, Texas, etc are doing; top HS classes and then supplement with handful of portal players.

Advertisement
We got certain posters who have a desperate love affair with the Portal. And a hard crush on Prison Mike Norvell. They're out on that ledge, you won't be able to talk them down.
Considering we have added starters the last two years from the portal it’s an option. The problem is we can’t see the future and we don’t know who will be in the portal today.

I think our portal usage will drop once the roster is where Mario likes, but it will still be a role in talent aquisition.

You have to remember in this era you will have players leave thru portal you may not want to. So depending on high school recruiting to build roster is trickier now than few years ago.

We lost 2023 signees already in Wayne and Pulliam already.

Portal will ne necessary to some extent in this era.
Of course it will be. It helps you get experienced players. Everyone uses it.

Yeah I was meaning more individual cases than as a whole.

The programs like OSU, UGA, Bama had loaded rosters to begin with when the portal was first added so they never had to dabble much except to fill a hole here and there

But it would be hard for me if I was an NIL $$ guy to invest in say a Kyle Wright who is a 5 star Gatorade POY etc when there is a chance he is a complete bust in college vs a guy like ward who has already proven himself and the $$ I’m paying for 1 year is comparable

Yeah I was meaning more individual cases than as a whole.

The programs like OSU, UGA, Bama had loaded rosters to begin with when the portal was first added so they never had to dabble much except to fill a hole here and there

But it would be hard for me if I was an NIL $$ guy to invest in say a Kyle Wright who is a 5 star Gatorade POY etc when there is a chance he is a complete bust in college vs a guy like ward who has already proven himself and the $$ I’m paying for 1 year is comparable
I’m no insider and the whole situation is still so new and wild, but knowing a few people involved in NIL at different programs, I know this is not what they want long term because you’re exactly right

These people are not rich because they waste money. People have been doing what it takes to navigate the waters so far but at some point the businesses have to put their foot down to the employees so to speak

Not sure how it plays out or how long it takes but it should be interesting to watch

Advertisement
Back