2025 Vernell "Trey" Brown III 4* WR from Orlando Evans [commits to UiF]

I was gonna say just not using the portal because we fear pushing hs kids away wouldn’t be smart at all. Texas lands elite wr recruits every year and they just brought in bond, ohio state lands top rbs and they just brought in judkins, lsu lands top wrs they just brought in daniels,oregon lands top wrs they got stewart, Michigan just brought in a bunch of dbs and they went in the portal for olineman after being an elite oline the year before last.

The list goes on and on lmao why would we be the school to say no to the portal? Literally every elite team goes to the portal every year for multiple positions why shouldn’t we?

We keep connecting the portal to fsu process ,thats why we look down on it but literally every contender recruits elite hs guys and portal guys at the same time..kinda like we did this off season and now we all feel great about winning this year lol
1 major flaw. The teams you mentioned have seen their remaining talent. They may recruit elate talent but it turns out they aren’t elite enough so they hit the portal.

The flaw in Canes argument is that our high school recruits will all hit and we won’t need the portal. Which is the man in goal. Never going to happen.

Have to find the sweet spot.

Advertisement
Nonsense. The portal (by winning teams)has been used to put the finishing touches on a solid core. The portal pieces that were part of that core were long term portal pieces. Not one year rentals. If you're going into the portal yearly for QBs,for left tackles etc you lost before the season even started.

Maybe we just have a very different opinion of what it means to build a team based on portal players yearly(since that's what we were discussing). Not 2 or 3 year dudes. Only successful QBs I can think of who were portal players on playoff or championship teams or anything similar was penix. Since it's literally every team I guess let's say the regular playoff or championship teams for a while now have been bama(no portal built teams I can think of)uga(same)OSU(same)Clemson(same) Michigan (same)so what championship teams have had A CORE built out of yearly portal players? Oregon had nix(2 years & had 1 good year) Washington(penix) maybe to prove your point you'll say lsu has been one of those teams so you can grasp for Jayden Daniels. This is the first year I can think of where there's been heavy turnover out of core players across the board at a lot of top tier schools.
2021 Bama:
- Jameson Williams (transferred from OH ST, was their leading WR)
- Jahmyr Gibbs (transferred from GTech, was their leading RB)
- Henry To'o To'o (transferred from Tenn, was their leading LB)

2022 TCU:
- Josh Newton (transferred from ULM, was their best CB)
- Ezra Dotson- Oyetade (transferred from AZ ST, was their starting Center)
- Alan Ali (transferred from SMU, backup Center)
- Caleb Fox (transferred from SFA, starting DT)
- Emani Bailey (transferred from ULM, RB2)
- Tymon Mitchell (transferred from UGA, starting DT)
- Johnny Hodges (transferred from Navy, leading LB)
- Mark Perry (transferred from Colorado, leading Safety)
- Jared Wiley (transferred from Texas, starting TE)

2023 Michigan:
- Ernest Hausmann (transferred from Nebraska, starting LB)
- Josh Wallace (transferred from UMASS, starting CB)
- LaDarius Henderson (transferred from AZ ST, starting LT)
- Myles Hinton (transferred from Stanford, starting RT)
- Drake Nugent (transferred from Stanford, starting C)
- Josaiah Stewart (transferred from Coastal Carolina, starting EDGE)
- AJ Barner (transferred from Indiana, TE2)

2023 Texas:
- Quinn Ewers (transferred from OH ST, starting QB
- Adonai Mitchell (transferred from UGA, starting WR)
- Ryan Watts (transferred from OH ST, starting CB)

For UW, not only Michael Penix JR
- Dillon Johnson (transferred from Miss ST, starting RB)
- Will Nixon (transferred from Nebraska, RB2)
- Ja'Lynn Polk (transferred from TTech, starting WR)
- Germie Bernard (transferred from Mich ST, WR4)
- Jabbar Muhammad (transferred from OK ST, starting CB)
- Ralen Goforth (trash from USC, starting LB)

For UGA, they took Derion Kendrick from Clemson as their starting CB for the 22 title run. Dominic Lovett their fastest & top Slot WR they got from Mizzou.

And if you look at their current Portal class for this season they got

- Benjamin Yurosek from Stanford to be their starting TE
- Jake Pope from Bama, likely to be in their rotation at Safety
- Michael Jackson III from USC, starting WR
- Trevor Etienne from UF, starting RB
- Colbie Young from Miami, starting WR
- London Humphreys from Vandy, another WR in their rotation
- Xzavier McLeod from South Carolina, who will be in their rotation at DT.

Bama & OH ST loaded up their classes this year with Portal starters & now with expanded playoffs, you're going to see at least 6 out of the 12 teams that get in be Portal heavy teams as well.

The Portal has only been open with free transfers since 2020/21. The only team that doesn't use the Portal is Clemson & they are fading away because the talent gap is widening every year due to teams stacking Portal talent.

My point is, if a premier All-conference caliber player hits the Portal & we don't pursue out of fear of turning away some HS kid, that's pretty dumb on our part.

Not using the Portal would mean we would have to hit on at least 85-90% of the HS recruit evals & that's simply not possible. No team does, not even the vaunted UGA & Michigan that everyone loves on here hits on that high of a rate on their HS evals.

Not using the Portal in this era of CFB, is akin to not having a car & choosing to walk 30 miles to work, instead of just using an Uber. It's doing something the hard way for principles sake, when there's a much easier & smarter way to accomplish the same goal.

1 major flaw. The teams you mentioned have seen their remaining talent. They may recruit elate talent but it turns out they aren’t elite enough so they hit the portal.

The flaw in Canes argument is that our high school recruits will all hit and we won’t need the portal. Which is the man in goal. Never going to happen.

Have to find the sweet spot.
If u think all of our recruits will hit then i got bad news bro.

Go get more talent no matter what bro, the best will rise to the top. We were built off competition, this just the new era

Tom Loy from 247: 2 team race between FSU and UF

"I have been holding off on flipping my pick to the Gators because I wanted to hear how things went in Tallahassee.

I'm told the Florida State visit was incredible and he's more torn than ever between the Seminoles and Gators.

This looks like a two-team race down the stretch.

I know predictions are going in for Florida, but I'm not ready to write off Florida State at this point. His commitment is coming in July. He'll now enter decision mode."

Advertisement
2021 Bama:

2022 TCU:

2023 Michigan:

2023 Texas:

For UGA, they took Derion Kendrick from Clemson as their starting CB for the 22 title run. Dominic Lovett their fastest & top Slot WR they got from Mizzou.

Bama & OH ST loaded up their classes this year with Portal starters & now with expanded playoffs, you're going to see at least 6 out of the 12 teams that get in be Portal heavy teams as well.

The Portal has only been open with free transfers since 2020/21. The only team that doesn't use the Portal is Clemson & they are fading away because the talent gap is widening every year due to teams stacking Portal talent.

My point is, if a premier All-conference caliber player hits the Portal & we don't pursue out of fear of turning away some HS kid, that's pretty dumb on our part.

Not using the Portal would mean we would have to hit on at least 85-90% of the HS recruit evals & that's simply not possible. No team does, not even the vaunted UGA & Michigan that everyone loves on here hits on that high of a rate on their HS evals.

Not using the Portal in this era of CFB, is akin to not having a car & choosing to walk 30 miles to work, instead of just using an Uber. It's doing something the hard way for principles sake, when there's a much easier & smarter way to accomplish the same goal.
Thorough break down brother. Although my point has been about the core to a team in particular starting QB, Lt, etc. Positions you need continuity from (and not long term transfers like Ewers or Moore etc, but kids that are in and out)all the same I see what your point is. I think because of nil and the fact kids can do essentially whatever they want the portal will have some type of role based on any given year FILLING OUR NEEDS. We will never go through a seasons recruiting and say I'm not gonna bother going after this position BECAUSE I'm gonna pound the portal. Like what deion does. We're not gonna completely abandon it. Knowing how Mario is and his desire to ALWAYS get better, it's not like we're not gonna be open to it. But dependant on it that just ain't gonna happen.

If u think all of our recruits will hit then i got bad news bro.

Go get more talent no matter what bro, the best will rise to the top. We were built off competition, this just the new era
Obviously they ain't all gonna hit. This seems a lil silly but maybe this is my fault for not clarifying. Its always gonna be about getting the absolute best pieces in house. We're always gonna prefer to build our team through high school recruiting. But if you miss on a position in a cycle that isn't built up to the standard necessary than what choices do you have. That's where we are now. But the emphasis is long term solutions. Not quick fixes.

Putting lot of effort on a triple gator legacy and letting Mills and Charles walk is criminal plus we are not getting French or Williams

Advertisement
Advertisement
You’re not complaining about “wasting time” with this guy?

If you’re not saying that, what are you saying?
i use the term “lot of effort” on a triple gator legacy where chances are you like it or not are slim while other teams are cherry picking WR. The WR board looks to be full of fool gold prospects going to other schools.

2021 Bama:

2022 TCU:

2023 Michigan:

2023 Texas:

+a billion, portal is essential. Takes you from good to very good or very good to elite. Excellent post.

Advertisement
Beard recruiting has me like:

Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

@1murhurricane yo can we get an update on WR recruiting? @DMoney been saying we’re going to put foot on gas basically as year gets underway and we prove ourselves on field…

But seems we might not be in on the elite of the elite as much… and like we might show out offensively but so will Oregon for Dallas Wilson..

You get the talent anywhere you can get it from.

EVERY playoff & Championship team has used the Portal significantly every year its been open, literally ALL OF THEM.

If we stop using the Portal just for unknown commodities, that's an unwise strategy.

Every year is a one year one-off. Win now & keep winning now.

Are you sure about that? "EVERY playoff & Championship team"?

Georgia took 4 transfers in 2023. 1 transfer in 2022. 3 transfers in 2021. 4 transfers in 2020.

"Literally ALL OF THEM"?

2023:
1719201413192.png

2022:
1719201555326.png

2021 and 2020:
No separate transfer portal class ranking

Advertisement
Back