2025 Vernell "Trey" Brown III 4* WR from Orlando Evans [commits to UiF]

I’m no insider and the whole situation is still so new and wild, but knowing a few people involved in NIL at different programs, I know this is not what they want long term because you’re exactly right

These people are not rich because they waste money. People have been doing what it takes to navigate the waters so far but at some point the businesses have to put their foot down to the employees so to speak

Not sure how it plays out or how long it takes but it should be interesting to watch

Yeah idk what these rich guys get out of paying a HS or college kid 6 or 7 figures to play football at their favorite teams school

Advertisement
Considering we have added starters the last two years from the portal it’s an option. The problem is we can’t see the future and we don’t know who will be in the portal today.

Again, the difference is not about "who is the starter for one year". It's a question of how you want to build your team.

And given that Mario is in Year 3, I understand why he may be getting 1-year rentals, to fill out his "fifth-year senior" class.

Now, if we do this every year, then the conversation changes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah idk what these rich guys get out of paying a HS or college kid 6 or 7 figures to play football at their favorite teams school

The way I see it is this:
* Boosters want to gift money to the school they love
* School believes having a winning football program is a marketing boon to attracting higher brand recognition, more applicants and more donors
* School tacitly encourages boosters to use the money they were already planning on gifting to invest in NIL which both gives them a winning football program and fuels additional marketing

In the big scheme of things, 15-30M a year in NIL that might have gone to the endowment could easily generate a lot more income and prestige for the program if the football team really does win. High risk / very high reward.

* School believes having a winning football program is a marketing boon to attracting higher brand recognition, more applicants and more donors
* School tacitly encourages boosters to use the money they were already planning on gifting to invest in NIL which both gives them a winning football program and fuels additional marketing

In the big scheme of things, 15-30M a year in NIL that might have gone to the endowment could easily generate a lot more income and prestige for the program if the football team really does win. High risk / very high reward.

If all you care about is your team winning I fully understand giving kids individually 6-7 figures every year to commit to Miami with nothing in return

But financially I’m not seeing how it would make sense investment wise unless there is so some clause in there where once the kids make the pros the donor gets X amount back or a % of their profits etc

Advertisement

I agree. There’s a direct positive correlation between success in football and number of applicants to the school.

Miami has slipped in school rankings over the last 10 years. Larger applicant pools can lead to a more prestigious student body. It all goes hand in hand. It’s baffling that former Miami Presidents didn’t understand this concept.

Stop It Max Greenfield GIF by CBS

Advertisement
Would suck if UF gets Brown and Hanks but all that will matter is 8/31 if that's the case then it's open season after that.

Advertisement
Back