The Bank (6/28)

So, our WR commitments will begin to pick up when they see the QB who won't be throwing them passes throws passes this year?
It’s a trust thing. Ohio St didn’t have a QB when Smith signed. The staff will be telling them their plan. Nickel looks solid. There’s always the portal. Sayin and Howard are an example. My opinion but I think Mario will explain we will always have a QB that can get them the ball.

Advertisement
It's fine, my quarrel is not with you personally, but how people use selective information or binary choices. There are plenty of people who have trumpted "all the recent Heisman QBs are transfers" or constantly post about all the 5-star bust QBs.

But, yeah, we can move on.

I think that the only issue with our last couple of sentences is that each year, these QBs think they have all the power and leverage. And there are always some craptastic teams that roll the dice. Tennessee wasn't much (probation, etc.) when they locked down Iamaleava. Florida HAD TO sign sign Lagway after botching Rashada.
I think there are certain situations where i would recommend them spending on a highly rated high school QB. There have been some sure things who everyone knew was gonna be a star like Trevor Lawrence. Plus particularly if u have a veteran team everywhere else. I also think when we win, we wont have to outbid people for these players because of the suck tax. I want highly rated QBs.

Fun fact: 5 of the top 10 rated QBs from the 2023 class have already transferred after 1 year in college.

I think it will pick up when Cam Ward is throwing touchdowns on TV.

I'll say this again, Mario has to do what Orgeron did in 2019, and let the offense loose. Basically, see if Dawson can be Joe Brady to a certain degree

Put up a fun, explosive and productive offense, and blue-chip WR's will flip to the good guys. '

Don't... and well, Jeremiah Smith wont be the last guy to leave us at the altar

Kids want to see results and proof of progress. Yeah, wins... matter

It’s a trust thing. Ohio St didn’t have a QB when Smith signed. The staff will be telling them their plan. Nickel looks solid. There’s always the portal. Sayin and Howard are an example. My opinion but I think Mario will explain we will always have a QB that can get them the ball.
osu had Noland when Smith signed. He stated he was excited to play with him when he couldn't think of the name of the QB we signed.

Advertisement
I played with it too and this is BS. If we hit on all the main targets and the guys trending to us a class of 25 hit around 290 score which was good enough for 4th last year. I didn’t “process” any of our current commits when I was playing with the calculator either. If we have a great season and get a “dream” class without processing anybody we are more in the 300 range.
Who did you add for the other seven? That makes a big difference…

Either way, it’s all for naught til about November when a majority of games have been played.

Big Joe bringing up the rear again in recruiting. Jesus Christ
Get em, Cali!!! 🤮 all over him.

@calinative umstudent

IMG_6936.gif

’m also not quite as sure Ward has a substantial impact at WR, he’s gone after this year and we have no proven QB after.

I think a good showing by Ward establishes that Cristobal is capable of more than “tuff n fisical" football. I bet other coaches tell WR recruits, "why do you want to go play in Miami for a coach that’s going to have you blocking instead of catching the ball?" A big season by Ward definitively proves that the offense can be interesting. most elite WRs aren’t going to spend 4 years playing with the same QB, so I don’t believe Ward leaving hurts that much. They know we will pay top dollar for another QB if necessary.

Advertisement
I think a good showing by Ward establishes that Cristobal is capable of more than “tuff n fisical" football. I bet other coaches tell WR recruits, "why do you want to go play in Miami for a coach that’s going to have you blocking instead of catching the ball?" A big season by Ward definitively proves that the offense can be interesting. most elite WRs aren’t going to spend 4 years playing with the same QB, so I don’t believe Ward leaving hurts that much. They know we will pay top dollar for another QB if necessary.
Agreed. I get why people are saying that with Ward but it’s a bigger picture where we need to show if we have the right pieces in place we can light it up and are willing

I mean 6 months from having to apologize for being wrong about DLine recruiting to the tune of us signing three 5stars... And immediately reverting back to the slander is wild.
We just need to win at this point. The recruiting will take care of itself because the HC is a killer on the trail if we get it done on the field now.

Advertisement
Who did you add for the other seven? That makes a big difference…

Either way, it’s all for naught til about November when a majority of games have been played.
I went through our targets and played with the most wanted most likely. With Griffin most scenarios had us 295 plus. Without Griffin closer to 290

That is all well and good, but would it also help to see Emory in for mop-up duty, to show that we at least have a moderate answer for 2025? Or does Ward being the guy make it more likely that we go Portal next year for QB (and show the recruits that we can land a quality one-year-rental)?
IMO the starting QB for 2025 is not on the roster. Having said that, solid performances from Emory and/or Poff in mop up duty will be significant in the eyes of prospective WRs.

True Freshman Luke Nickel could surprise but most likely we will go to the portal for our starting QB in 2025. DJ Lagway would be the dream scenario there as he would have 2-3 years of eligibility remaining. This would have an effect on Nickel but we would cross that bridge when we get there.

Despite the initial struggles with WRs I remain very optimistic with the following.....

Dallas Wilson
Josh Moore
Daylin Upshaw
Vernell Brown(Just stay on him until the end)
Mario will almost certainly be in flip mode with a big time WR.
Since this WR class has been compared internally to the DT class of 2024, I fully expect a big time flip and an excellent class.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back