The Bank (6/28)

View as article
Trying to read a paragraph in which DMoney uses the name Iose and the word lose...

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Advertisement
Advertisement
Feels like Iowa or UM for Epenesa. We got the last official visit and I'm pretty sure he has been to campus 3 or 4 times unofficially. Edwardsville, Illinois isn't exactly down the road from campus, so the interest is genuine and real when you're visiting on your own dime multiple times. UM hasn't recruited like this nationally under previous coaching staffs. I think Cristobal closes here.

- As of now, I expect RB Girard Pringle (Seffner) to be the only RB in the class.

The pass on Louis/SMK is a bit puzzling to me.

The internal expectation is that Miami’s WR class will end up like the DL class last year.

Ya I don't think we miss on both Mills/Moore…I think when it's all said and done one of the local WR is a Cane.

Last edited:
Honestly this isn’t as overly positive as I would have thought, but there are still some really valuable names on here. A couple potentially critical misses though at key positions that hopefully we can circle back on, obviously Mario won’t take no for an answer and will keep pushing - plus a 10-2 season would bring some much-needed legitimacy and proof to his overall plan.

Sounds like a Top 9-12 class between the lines as of now, just not a Top 5-7 one. A good season can vault us back into that conversation.

I’m also not quite as sure Ward has a substantial impact at WR, he’s gone after this year and we have no proven QB after. While showcasing the offense with a QB of his caliber is imperative, we need to recruit the QB position better (whether that’s HS evals or portal) or highlight our backups in mop up duty, which means pedal to the metal during games and not getting complacent and conservative on offense when up two scores.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Honestly this isn’t as overly positive as I would have thought, but there are some really good names on here. A couple potentially critical misses though at key positions that hopefully we can circle back on.

Sounds like a Top 10-12 class between the lines, just not a Top 5-7 one. A good season can vault us back into that conversation.

I’m also not quite as sure Ward has a substantial impact at WR, he’s gone after this year and we have no proven QB after. While showcasing the the offense is imperative, we need to recruit the QB position better or highlight our backups in mop up duty, which means pedal to the metal during games and n or getting complacent when up two scores.

I don't get the same vibe as you do. The staff has commitments from or knows who they want at QB, RB, TE, DE, DB, LB. ... The only real question marks from the board are DT and WR. And of course they need to land their targets (e.g., Epenesa, Hanks and Pickett).

I see two reasons why the WR and DL boards are so squirrely. First, both position groups are down in talent not just in South FL but nationally, so why pay 4/5-star NIL for what would be a high 3-star in any other class? Second, I believe the staff is holding back in the hopes the season goes well and the board resets.

I don't get the same vibe as you do. The staff has commitments from or knows who they want at QB, RB, TE, DE, DB, LB. ... The only real question marks from the board are DT and WR. And of course they need to land their targets (e.g., Epenesa, Hanks and Pickett).

I see two reasons why the WR and DL boards are so squirrely. First, both position groups are down in talent not just in South FL but nationally, so why pay 4/5-star NIL for what would be a high 3-star in any other class? Second, I believe the staff is holding back in the hopes the season goes well and the board resets.
I’m not out full moping at all just to be clear. I think guys like Wallace, Scroggins and Buchanan are good additions, and then there’s big fish we’re in a great spot for like Pickett, Stubbs, Seuseu and Iose

I just think there’s a lot riding on the actual season and that recruits are obviously knowledgeable on that, there’s only so much talk you can do without showing results on the field. Playing around with the class calculator, it’s obviously way too early and players will go up and down in ranking…but even adding Pickett, Iose, Stubbs and Seuseu, it’s a fringe Top 15 class. We won’t take too many more guys imo, so depending on how the season goes, we’ll either process dudes out, or we’ll see some de-commitments and scramble for Plan B’s (which were already doing for a fair number of positions).

Hence why with this update (and it changes by the week or month for sure, so take it with a grain of salt), I’m just more cautious now than full-blown, blindly optimistic.

While showcasing the offense with a QB of his caliber is imperative, we need to recruit the QB position better (whether that’s HS evals or portal) or highlight our backups in mop up duty, which means pedal to the metal during games and not getting complacent and conservative on offense when up two scores.
This ^

I think Nickell is a star in waiting and is criminally underrated, but it's been a loooooong time since we had a bona fide blue chip QB recruit. We need to get one of these top QBs at least every other year because it helps with recruiting other positions, especially WR.

Advertisement
Feels like Iowa or UM for Epenesa. We got the last official visit and I'm pretty sure he has been to campus 3 or 4 times unofficially. Edwardsville, Illinois isn't exactly down the road from campus, so the interest is genuine and real when you're visiting on your own dime multiple times. UM hasn't recruited like this nationally under previous coaching staffs. I think Cristobal closes here.
It will be a great/huge pull as he is a strong Iowa legacy but I have the feeling he is committing to the good guys.

Advertisement
So, our WR commitments will begin to pick up when they see the QB who won't be throwing them passes throws passes this year?
That is a point, but what WR recruits want to see is that Mario will have an explosive offense that gives them plenty of opportunities.

Last year was a taste of it, but then the QB went mental and got hurt for a stretch.

Restrepo and George earning all ACC with erratic QB play was a nice start.

That is a point, but what WR recruits want to see is that Mario will have an explosive offense that gives them plenty of opportunities.

Last year was a taste of it, but then the QB went mental and got hurt for a stretch.

Restrepo and George earning all ACC with erratic QB play was a nice start.
It's hard to sell high level WRs on playing with Poff and Emory Williams.

Advertisement
Back