The Bank (6/28)

View as article
In two classes this staff has signed 5 WRs. According to 247 rankings, all 5 were top 35 at their position and top 200 overall nationally.

Robby Washington #22 WR & #145 Overall
Ray Ray Joseph #23 WR & #151 Overall

Joshisa Trader #14 WR & #70 Overall
Ny Carr #21 WR & 98 Overall
Chance Robinson #32 WR & #185 Overall

There is no reason to believe this staff will not yet again sign a quality WR class.

FSU
Top 35 WR Signed: 1

Florida
Top 35 WR Signed: 1

*I did not count players who were ranked at ATHs on 247*
Welp this is actual data then 😂

Advertisement
“Dogs want to play with other dogs.” - somebody said that (I think).

The WR position (more so than other positions) depends, in large part, on another player doing their job incredibly well i.e., the QB delivering them the ball. Timely. Accurately. Swiftly. While not impossible to recruit top notch WRs without a highly rated QB on the roster (see, last year’s class), many WRs want to know who will be throwing them the ball (see, Joshua Moore from this year’s high school class).

Other than Ward, we do not have a bonafide “stud” at the QB position (no disrespect to the Emory fans out there). Luke Nickel “might” be that guy. He is underrated and by all accounts handled himself well at the Elite 11 competition earlier this month. However, that’s all we have right now. Poff, Emory, and Judd do not make anyone’s toes tingle. We need another stud QB recruit to go along with Nickel so we can show WRs that there is quality and depth at the QB position and they will be in good hands.

Again, it doesn’t mean Mario and Coach Beard will not deliver at the WR position because this staff can recruit and should never be counted out for any player. But, they can help themselves at the WR position by adding a 2026 stud QB to go along with Nickel for 2025.

Just my $.04 (adjusted for inflation).
I hear you, but I think you are looking at it from a fan's perspective. What qualifies as a stud QB and how does a WR know who the QBs are? Are these kids just looking at ratings or are they looking at actual competition? Nickel has won a high school championship and 7 v 7 tournaments. I would think that would weigh more than ratings. Although ratings do create hype.

I don't think Emory played 7 v 7 football. So, most of the WRs didn't know him, but his Elite 11 showing created some street cred.

I don't like it when fans put ceilings on young players. We do it every year. Both Emory and Brown should not have played as true freshman. Because they did, the fans formulated opinions saying what the ceiling is and they aren't it. It's ridiculous!!!

Look at Jordan Travis at FSU. He played as a rsh freshman and was terrible. He got better every year. Imagine if we only saw the finished product. People would say, "Wow!!! Where has that guy been?" Travis was in a fortunate situation where FSU's QB room was terrible which afforded him the opportunity to continue to get reps. He was also in college 6 years. I'm sure even FSU fans wrote him off before he blossomed.

My point is we don't know what Emory can be as QB. He could develop into a Mack Jones or a Tom Brady. It's just funny to me how the mindset of fans and coaches have changed about the QB position. A few years ago, the athletic QB couldn't be an NFL QB. Now, the guy who isn't athletic can't play QB.

A QB needs to move in the pocket and deliver the ball when and where its supposed to go. Anything above that is a bonus. I don't understand why anyone would say Emory can't be that guy. Same for Judd. Let these guys develop 2-3 years in the program before passing judgement. It's too early to formulate an opinion on them.

Fans can't figure out their own lives, but we can somehow watch an 18 year old play in a few college games and decide if he's going to pan out as college football player in the next 4 years. Just crazy!!!

Advertisement
I hear you, but I think you are looking at it from a fan's perspective. What qualifies as a stud QB and how does a WR know who the QBs are? Are these kids just looking at ratings or are they looking at actual competition? Nickel has won a high school championship and 7 v 7 tournaments. I would think that would weigh more than ratings. Although ratings do create hype.

I don't think Emory played 7 v 7 football. So, most of the WRs didn't know him, but his Elite 11 showing created some street cred.

I don't like it when fans put ceilings on young players. We do it every year. Both Emory and Brown should not have played as true freshman. Because they did, the fans formulated opinions saying what the ceiling is and they aren't it. It's ridiculous!!!

Look at Jordan Travis at FSU. He played as a rsh freshman and was terrible. He got better every year. Imagine if we only saw the finished product. People would say, "Wow!!! Where has that guy been?" Travis was in a fortunate situation where FSU's QB room was terrible which afforded him the opportunity to continue to get reps. He was also in college 6 years. I'm sure even FSU fans wrote him off before he blossomed.

My point is we don't know what Emory can be as QB. He could develop into a Mack Jones or a Tom Brady. It's just funny to me how the mindset of fans and coaches have changed about the QB position. A few years ago, the athletic QB couldn't be an NFL QB. Now, the guy who isn't athletic can't play QB.

A QB needs to move in the pocket and deliver the ball when and where its supposed to go. Anything above that is a bonus. I don't understand why anyone would say Emory can't be that guy. Same for Judd. Let these guys develop 2-3 years in the program before passing judgement. It's too early to formulate an opinion on them.

Fans can't figure out their own lives, but we can somehow watch an 18 year old play in a few college games and decide if he's going to pan out as college football player in the next 4 years. Just crazy!!!

Advertisement
I'm with you, at a certain point, instead of just always pining for transfer portal guys after they spurned UM, this staff has to have some faith in their evaluations and recruiting.

I doubt we need to go to the portal again this offseason at WR. But if a local elite talent like J Smith wants to transfer back in, of course you take a hard look opportunistically.

That WR room was ridiculously thin when Mario got here, and those players we did have were either spoiled & lazy (both Smiths, Brinson, George) or lacked athleticism (Worsham, Redding). Restrepo was the only model guy in the room, with Redding clearly a cultural fit but not a playmaker. Mario had to go out and get more bodies from the portal, most of which didn't pan out (Ladson, Young in 2022, Harrell, Kirk in 2023, Brown in 2024) just to field a team. In general, I think he's recruited well with Horton in 22, Ray Ray and Robby in 23 and now Jojo, Carr and Robinson in 24.

Honestly this isn’t as overly positive as I would have thought, but there are still some really valuable names on here. A couple potentially critical misses though at key positions that hopefully we can circle back on, obviously Mario won’t take no for an answer and will keep pushing - plus a 10-2 season would bring some much-needed legitimacy and proof to his overall plan.

Sounds like a Top 9-12 class between the lines as of now, just not a Top 5-7 one. A good season can vault us back into that conversation.

I’m also not quite as sure Ward has a substantial impact at WR, he’s gone after this year and we have no proven QB after. While showcasing the offense with a QB of his caliber is imperative, we need to recruit the QB position better (whether that’s HS evals or portal) or highlight our backups in mop up duty, which means pedal to the metal during games and not getting complacent and conservative on offense when up two scores.
Bored Nick Kyrgios GIF by Tennis TV

Advertisement
word I got was that if Ward commits near Christmas-time(which was expected) that Jeremiah Smith would've been a Hurricane

But that's neither here nor there

I expect an explosive, fun, stat-producing offense in 2024 for Miami. This year could set Cristobal up for the next decade if things play out as we hope/expect
I’ve been saying it as well. This is the year that could springboard Mario and Miami back into being serious contenders year in and year out. He simply cannot flop this year!!!

Advertisement

Fair points, and yes some guys show "it" right away while some guys need time to develop to show anything. But I think many of us are skeptical after watching and waiting for so many guys to develop here and it just never happening.

Advertisement
Back