The Bank (6/28)

View as article
Thanks for the recap.

While I believe Cam Ward’s performance is important to showcase the offense, a commitment from Dereon Coleman (or a higher ranked QB) for 2026 would go a LONG way in attracting WRs this year.
I don't understand your logic. The 2026 QB is likely not going to be passing to any 2025 WR.

I think it's far more important for Luke Nickel to have a great year. That's who the 2025 WRs will be looking at. It wouldn't hurt ESPN and 247Sports to stop the BS and give Nickel his bump. On3 and Rivals have him #13 and #16 ranked QB, while 247Sports and ESPN have him at #30 and #25. He finished in the top 11 of the Elite 11. He should get a bump. A deep run in the Georgia High School playoffs should help as well.

Cam Ward and his WRs having a great year will provide proof the Dawson offense is top shelf.

Advertisement
I'll say this again, Mario has to do what Orgeron did in 2019, and let the offense loose. Basically, see if Dawson can be Joe Brady to a certain degree

Put up a fun, explosive and productive offense, and blue-chip WR's will flip to the good guys. '

Don't... and well, Jeremiah Smith wont be the last guy to leave us at the altar

Kids want to see results and proof of progress. Yeah, wins... matter
None of those reasons are why we missed on Smith. Everyone kept saying FSU blah blah and we almost got him. Cam Ward was a 3 star recruit by the way. It’s about getting the right dude. You’ll get a kid who will go because of a QB, but I’m not sure with NIL if it means you can’t land kids. Time will tell with each kid.

We have the 2 leading WRs in the ACC returning who were catching passes from an inconsistent pick machine at QB and a true FR QB.

Exactly. Proof of concept is already there. We just need to build on it to show consistency, progress, and continuity. Every sign points to that, we need to sit back abd enjoy the ride.

In two classes this staff has signed 5 WRs. According to 247 rankings, all 5 were top 35 at their position and top 200 overall nationally.

Robby Washington #22 WR & #145 Overall
Ray Ray Joseph #23 WR & #151 Overall

Joshisa Trader #14 WR & #70 Overall
Ny Carr #21 WR & 98 Overall
Chance Robinson #32 WR & #185 Overall

There is no reason to believe this staff will not yet again sign a quality WR class.

FSU
Top 35 WR Signed: 1

Florida

*I did not count players who were ranked at ATHs on 247*

You sell scheme, you don't sell individuals. Regardless of who the individuals may be.
This. You sell the system/scheme and its attractiveness to quarterbacks and other skill players. Incoming freshmen might get sold on a quarterback if you have one in his class (Luke Nickel) but nobody is going “oh man I might have to play with Poffenbarger for a season, I’d better avoid Miami”.

Let’s put it this way. Miami signed Jojo Trader and Ny Carr with only Emory Williams on the roster and Judd Anderson as a commit. Players know that the right system will not only help them put up numbers (look at last year’s receiver stats) but it will also attract quarterbacks.

Advertisement
In two classes this staff has signed 5 WRs. According to 247 rankings, all 5 were top 35 at their position and top 200 overall nationally.

There is no reason to believe this staff will not yet again sign a quality WR class.

FSU

Florida

This is excellent research. Thank you.

I don't understand your logic. The 2026 QB is likely not going to be passing to any 2025 WR.

I think it's far more important for Luke Nickel to have a great year. That's who the 2025 WRs will be looking at. It wouldn't hurt ESPN and 247Sports to stop the BS and give Nickel his bump. On3 and Rivals have him #13 and #16 ranked QB, while 247Sports and ESPN have him at #30 and #25. He finished in the top 11 of the Elite 11. He should get a bump. A deep run in the Georgia High School playoffs should help as well.

Cam Ward and his WRs having a great year will provide proof the Dawson offense is top shelf.

“Dogs want to play with other dogs.” - somebody said that (I think).

The WR position (more so than other positions) depends, in large part, on another player doing their job incredibly well i.e., the QB delivering them the ball. Timely. Accurately. Swiftly. While not impossible to recruit top notch WRs without a highly rated QB on the roster (see, last year’s class), many WRs want to know who will be throwing them the ball (see, Joshua Moore from this year’s high school class).

Other than Ward, we do not have a bonafide “stud” at the QB position (no disrespect to the Emory fans out there). Luke Nickel “might” be that guy. He is underrated and by all accounts handled himself well at the Elite 11 competition earlier this month. However, that’s all we have right now. Poff, Emory, and Judd do not make anyone’s toes tingle. We need another stud QB recruit to go along with Nickel so we can show WRs that there is quality and depth at the QB position and they will be in good hands.

Again, it doesn’t mean Mario and Coach Beard will not deliver at the WR position because this staff can recruit and should never be counted out for any player. But, they can help themselves at the WR position by adding a 2026 stud QB to go along with Nickel for 2025.

Just my $.04 (adjusted for inflation).

This. You sell the system/scheme and its attractiveness to quarterbacks and other skill players. Incoming freshmen might get sold on a quarterback if you have one in his class (Luke Nickel) but nobody is going “oh man I might have to play with Poffenbarger for a season, I’d better avoid Miami”.

Let’s put it this way. Miami signed Jojo Trader and Ny Carr with only Emory Williams on the roster and Judd Anderson as a commit. Players know that the right system will not only help them put up numbers (look at last year’s receiver stats) but it will also attract quarterbacks.
Losing Smith because of Cam Ward is a red herring. I guess it helps people cope. Local guys also gotta start saying things to justify leaving the home team and teammates at the altar as well. He went to OSU because he’s gonna put up video game numbers and go in the first round.

Advertisement
word I got was that if Ward commits near Christmas-time(which was expected) that Jeremiah Smith would've been a Hurricane

But that's neither here nor there

I expect an explosive, fun, stat-producing offense in 2024 for Miami. This year could set Cristobal up for the next decade if things play out as we hope/expect

Losing Smith because of Cam Ward is a red herring. I guess it helps people cope. Local guys also gotta start saying things to justify leaving the home team and teammates at the altar as well. He went to OSU because he’s gonna put up video game numbers and go in the first round.
I mean it’s clear that Jeremiah Smith chose OSU because of….who’s their quarterback now?

Advertisement
I mean it’s clear that Jeremiah Smith chose OSU because of….who’s their quarterback now?

I would have to assume that Smith had more faith that OSU would have someone back there to get him the ball than we would based on past years which in a vacuum is correct. OSU was able to hang their hat in that aspect and unfortunately we didn’t get that same benefit of the doubt from him.

Our strategy for qb recruiting is pretty obvious. Get the mid 4 or high 3 star. Pay them a moderate amount. See how they develop. Rather than try to get the nicos or sayins type guy

Yep. Save the reserves for a proven stud in the portal if they don’t pan out.

I would have to assume that Smith had more faith that OSU would have someone back there to get him the ball than we would based on past years which in a vacuum is correct. OSU was able to hang their hat in that aspect and unfortunately we didn’t get that same benefit of the doubt from him.
I’m pretty sure it more had to do with all the NFl talent that Hartline has produced over the last few years. Both OSU and Miami didn’t have a starter at the time

Advertisement
It’s the logical answer. He just needed OSU to step up their NIL offer which they did

Anyway, tiresome at this point. It’s critical we flip that script this year or at least turn the momentum. It happens overnight in CFB and this is our chance

FSU

Florida

It is time for the 2023 WR class to show something on the field or they will be recruited over.

Advertisement
Back