So Now Richt Sucks at Recruiting?

This will be a very good class if we land Herbert, Slaton, Harley, and Smith.

Probably 12-15. That's good, but we have regularly achieved this before

Golden made dudes comfortable with that underachieving. I'll admit I was comfortable with a top 15 class every now and again. That's not going to get you anywhere though if you don't have good-to-elite coaching. Clemson has had only two top 10 classes since 2011 for example yet they are contenders every year.

With the coaches we have, there's no reason that we shouldn't have a top 10 class annually and compete in the conference championship. I'll give Richt the benefit of the doubt having this year having to coach Goldens' specials, 9 banned spots, and little depth while playing a bunch of freshmen. Anything less than a Coastal Championship next year and we might as well begin to fly banners.

None of Butch's recruiting classes were top 10 annually. We haven't ever recruited at that level when we weren't winning big. Coker had 3-4 in a row that were top 10, but that was coming off being at the very top of the CFB world, and Coker missed badly on his player evaluations. I think the narrative that we should have top ten recruiting classes even when we aren't winning is a bit misguided. The OPs notion that we aren't seeing a bump isn't wrong, but we signing day is still a month and a half away. And if we end up with a class just outside the top 10 we are bringing in enough talent. When we start winning 10 games a year there is no reason not to expect top ten classes. But we need to win on the field, and to do that in 2017 we need help improvement on the o-line. This class IS delivering that.

Advertisement
I agree with OP. So far our class is pretty much on par with what Golden used to do. We came close to some big time commitments but missed out on them. And right now it looks like our class will settle around the 10-15 range, which is a good class but it's not what we all were hoping for. Especially if we sign 28-30 kids.

I just hope we don't settle for kids just to fill out the class. My hopes for a great recruiting year now rest in next years class, and we can't fill out this class with elite talent than we should wait till next year and take a big class than.

I know we all want to have top ten classes yearly, but the reality is that if we land classes in the top 20 every year - like we have been - that should indicate that our team is plenty talented to win the coastal and compete in the ACC title game.

The problem with our previous coaching staffs is that they were horrible at game day coaching. I just hope that Richt and his staff can start winning games and live up to his pedigree of 10 wins a year, because if we start doing that then we will end up recruiting at a higher level.

With the right coaching, the foundation for a 10-11 win season is already laid, top 20 classes can get you there. But the foundations for a national championship run needs to be top ten classes consistently.

Miami finished 3rd in the coastal.....if Richt woulda went full-time spread earlier who knows?? Miami needs to out recruit UNC, V-Tech the two teams in the way....the bump will come with player development...my only concern is coaching games that really matter in the spotlight.... Miami must win this Bowl game.....the program needs lots of momentum heading into next season!

Probably not a great idea to discuss Rick's ability to close and assemble this class until closing time in February.

Probably not a great idea to discuss Rick's ability to close and assemble this class until closing time in February.
The premptive ignorance is hilarious.

Someone needs to explain to me how the same clowns who predicted 6-6 or 7-5 but expected a top 5 class garenteed.

Look we might **** the bed.

We **** the bed in October but finished the year stronger than expected.

Win the bowl game and move forward.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Advertisement
1st year staff's usually get 1st year bump in recruiting. Where is it for this staff?

Players Targeted and Missed:

- Jerry Jeudy BAMA*** Was going there as soon as his adviser got the offer
- Shawn Davis UFAG
- Tre McKitty
- Jeremiah Holloman UGA***From Georgia
- Devonta Smith (assuming)
- Alex Leatherwood BAMA
- Christopher Henderson
- Marco Wilson UFAG
- Daniel Wright BAMA
- Cyrus ***an FSU

Maybe I'm over exaggerating because most of these kids were really tough gets either way, but you think with a first year bump we would be able to land 2-3 of these top target guys.

Thoughts?

We got to win a lot more games if we want to pull the majority of these types of players & even then we still ain't getting all of them.

This will be a very good class if we land Herbert, Slaton, Harley, and Smith.

Probably 12-15. That's good, but we have regularly achieved this before

not after 13 years of irrelevance. ur acting as if miami's brand garnishes anything right now. these kids have never seen a miami team win. idgaf about youtube videos and the past these kids are front runners and want to win. simple fact. richt is doing just fine. you can see changes in the team and that is what is needed. him filling in the holes left from golden and from players getting the boot is going to take time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A RB should not automatically make anyone our daddy no matter how good. If that were the case, the same thing would have happened to a lot of teams who faced Fournette. Famous defensive coordinator quote: "if you're in the backfield, they can't even start."

DL > any RB

Doesn't matter, elite running backs still get their yards, no matter how good the DL is.

Leonard Fournette:

17 carries for 35 yards vs Alabama
12 carries for 40 yards vs Florida

I've never said Fournette is elite and I don't think he'll do much in the NFL. Too injury prone. To be elite you have to be durable. I love Duke Johnson and I think if he were more durable he would be considered elite. he got tired late in games, Cook does not, neither did the RB for Alabama who ran the ball 50 times a game last year and won the Heisman. Don't think Fournette has ever been invited. Cook got shafted, he should've been there and will be a top 10 pick if he comes out.

Ok.

You said earlier that Dalvin Cook is elite (I agree), correct? You also said "elite running backs still get their yards, no matter how good the DL is," right?

Dalvin Cook:
16 carries for 54 yards vs Louisville
18 carries for 65 yards vs NC State

15 carries for 54 yards vs Boston College

Derrick Henry:
27 carries for 95 yards vs Arkansas
20 carries for 75 yard vs Michigan State

I don't disagree with a lot of what you stated, but I disagree that elite RBs get their yards no matter what and that DL are not greater than RBs.
If we had Bama's OL Walton would look superhuman! The fact we have had 1,000 yard rushers in back to back seasons behind that heap is mind blowing.

Point being stats don't tell the whole story.

I don't know why everyone expected Juedy to flip, Smith to follow him and Henderson to stick? We all know Miami will always get a share of talent from the area ....however the entire nation has invaded sfla it's not going to change anytime soon...many programs have built solid relationships..... I said this long ago.....Miami needs to worry about plugging holes with solid fits that can be developed to build depth....the advantage is being able to see local kids more often to find those sleepers and late bloomers....go after some outta state players that don't see Miami as stepping stone to get a bigger offer.....get on JUCOs like Dean alot earlier who can contribute right away....

If fsux gets Cam Akers,, we are FVCKED. Alabama is praying Najee leaves to USC, because they want Cam more. They're just not sure Cam will come to Bama, if they say "bye" to Najee. But I am telling you both are very elite and if Akers goes to fsux, we are in for another 3 to 4 years of Dumbo being our boss and CMR's daddy. We have to get someone on this staff that can get elite 5* players to come here.

Akers will be a nightmare:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J22LQ7M22Pw[/video]

****, dude looks like Dalvin Cook

hate to break it to people. i had two recruits tell me they think kaaya is not that good. one kid said "hes garbage. kid cant evne make a second read."

The **** does that have to do with recruiting? GTFO

they dont think he will lead them to playoff contention next year.

He won't be the QB next year

Uhhhhhh, Did we miss something? Kaaya will not?

I caught that a long time ago, is he leaving? He would be an intricate part for Miami

Advertisement
were ****ed, aren't we?

No. last years class was #21 and has 3 freshmen all Americans on it.

Butch Davis mightve had one top ten class ever. 2000?
That's how he got labeled the greatest eye for talent

That's also why it's silly to suggest Butch would've had a top rated class and Richt is a failure.

Last years class suggests similarities bn Richt and Butch spotting talent, not differences. And we won't really know how good this class is till a year or two later.

Coker and Shannon had highly rated classes though, so

Last edited:
Advertisement
Doesn't matter, elite running backs still get their yards, no matter how good the DL is.

Leonard Fournette:

17 carries for 35 yards vs Alabama
12 carries for 40 yards vs Florida

I've never said Fournette is elite and I don't think he'll do much in the NFL. Too injury prone. To be elite you have to be durable. I love Duke Johnson and I think if he were more durable he would be considered elite. he got tired late in games, Cook does not, neither did the RB for Alabama who ran the ball 50 times a game last year and won the Heisman. Don't think Fournette has ever been invited. Cook got shafted, he should've been there and will be a top 10 pick if he comes out.

Ok.

You said earlier that Dalvin Cook is elite (I agree), correct? You also said "elite running backs still get their yards, no matter how good the DL is," right?

Dalvin Cook:
16 carries for 54 yards vs Louisville

15 carries for 54 yards vs Boston College

Derrick Henry:
27 carries for 95 yards vs Arkansas
20 carries for 75 yard vs Michigan State

I don't disagree with a lot of what you stated, but I disagree that elite RBs get their yards no matter what and that DL are not greater than RBs.
If we had Bama's OL Walton would look superhuman! The fact we have had 1,000 yard rushers in back to back seasons behind that heap is mind blowing.

Point being stats don't tell the whole story.
They may not tell the whole story, but they certainly answer the point that someone (a RB) will get yards (stats) no matter how good the DL. In this case, the stats are answering the exact story.

Jeudy doesn't flip from Alabama as expected
Dingle decommits as expected
McKitty is probably going to FSU as expected

I missing anything?

You morons crack me up

Its the school

If he doesnt close **** is deeper than MR....uga aint missing a beat because they have there infrastructure still. Thats the only guess i have because u just dont go to miami and forget how to close. I think tho MR identifies talent better tho then the previous three staffs

half these kids already had 2-3 years of relationships with other staffs. look how malik young, deejay and other kids flipped to um to play with richt. the guy inherited a mess as far as our reputation.

Nycane the excuse machine

Richt is a corch, this would be a top 3 class if Butch was here.

Yep. I mean, look at all the top 5 classes Butch recruited. It's no wonder he got labeled such a great eye for talent. Gotta have great eyes to see the stars beside the names.

Last years #21 ranked class was an utter failure too.

The horror! The horror!

Advertisement
Back