RUMOR THREAD: V Davis

I'll refrain from comments til the whole story is out there......

One of my fave recruits, but if he don't wanna be here, he don't wanna be here. But again, I'll wait til more facts come out.

Advertisement
I'll refrain from comments til the whole story is out there......

One of my fave recruits, but if he don't wanna be here, he don't wanna be here. But again, I'll wait til more facts come out.

This is a real shame. He was one of the guys I thought would be very helpful to our slot issues. Maybe not this year, but going forward.

Damnit. I have no idea what happened, but I really hope it wasn't because of playing time. That's a short-sighted move.

Advertisement
Hurricanes freshman cornerback Vernon Davis has requested to be released from his scholarship, The Miami Herald has learned, and is expected to transfer to another school as early as Tuesday afternoon.

A source said Davis, a former standout at Miami Coral Reef, let UM coaches know of his intentions on Friday.

Reached by phone, Davis' mother confirmed her son was considering transferring from the program, but didn't want to elaborate on where he might be considering going.

"Nothing is official yet," Theodofia Davis said. "I'd prefer you talk to him about it."

Davis wasn't listed on the Canes' most recently released depth chart Monday, but remains on the team roster. He was one of eight incoming defensive backs the program brought in this season.

A three-star recruit according to Rivals, ESPN and Scout.com, Davis was an All-Dade First Team selection by The Miami Herald as a senior.

Stay tuned

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2012/08/cane s-freshman-cb-vernon-davis-has-sought-release-expe cted-to-transfer.html#storylink=cpy

Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it.

Players who Transfer from UM and have success in football?? I can count them on one hand.

Agree with those that hope this wasn't about being buried on the depth chart a month into his college career.

Kid was going to redshirt anyway, so why not sit out a year at a different school?

He realized how good the guys in his class are and probably made a smart move.

Advertisement
Wow. Shocked by this. All i'll say is if it was a playing time situation then he could leave. I'll never want a guy in the program who doesn't want to compete for playing time. This reminds me of Golden yesterday talking to Joe Rose he said something like, "Some of these guys think that the job should be handed to them. They have to work for it and we have to get that out of the locker room." Well if this was some of Vernon....Goodbye.

Advertisement
Guys,

Went back and found some interesting stuff on Davis....

Vernon Davis was 5'9, 163 CB ran a 4.61 with a 4.28 shuttle at a UA camp before his senior year.

Dwayne Hoilett ran a 4.67 at the same camp.

Seems to me that we took him early on and ended up with much better prospects down the line (Dortch, Howard, Bush, Crawford, etc.) Seems too slow and small to make impact here.

He wasn't sniffing the depth chart. My guess is that he realized the other DB's in his class were better than him and saw the writing on the wall.

Advertisement
Don't know why you guys are surprised by this. This is definitely a playing time thing. Better for him to transfer now rather than wait

I had high hopes for all the CB's we signed. It is unfortunate. But if the kid doesn't have the patience to keep working at it then so be it. I am for having as many DB's on roster as possible, but I want kids who are willing to work all the way up to their senior year to earn it if needed. IMO, he went into signing day thinking he was as good or better than the DB's we signed and he found out he wasn't in practice. Opens up a spot.

Between Finnie, Gunter, Howard, and Crawford alone he would not see field until at least 2014 and that's assuming that he is better than dorch, hope, and any guys who come in over next two years. Better now and opens up a spot for his years class but disappointed.

Advertisement
Back