RUMOR THREAD: V Davis

“He’s everything we thought he would be even though everybody thought we were crazy for taking him,” Golden said.

Advertisement
You just KNOW he's going to ball out at WVU like all the rest of the south florida players we let go up there... smh

Peter - I forget if this was Davis (might have ben Waters who is at WR), but was it him who said he wanted to play on the offensive side of the ball? If so WVU probably looking at him there.

Vernon Davis' high school coach said the freshman cornerback -- headed to West Virginia -- no longer trusted UM coaches

Vernon Davis grew up dreaming of playing for the Miami Hurricanes. But that dream has apparently died after a few weeks of training camp.

The freshman cornerback from Miami Coral Reef received his release from scholarship Tuesday and according to his former high school coach will be headed to West Virginia on Wednesday morning.

"He just felt like he couldn't trust their coaches anymore," Coral Reef coach Chevas Clements said. "He wasn't happy. He saw how he had slid down the depth chart and how UM was going out and getting all these commitments from guys like [Miami Northwestern's] Artie Burns and [Southridge's] Jamal Carter. When was he going to play?"

Davis, a three-star recruit and former All-Dade First Team selection by The Miami Herald, asked for his release on Friday. Clements said UM coaches tried to convince him to stay. But in the end, Davis' heart was set on leaving.

"At West Virginia they got two walk-ons who are backups," Clements said. "He knows he's got a much better chance to get on the field there."

Clements said Davis was on his way to Coral Reef to fax his information to West Virginia. Per NCAA rules, Davis will sit out the 2012 season.

"He was going to redshirt anyway," Clements said. "Honestly, I would have preferred if he stayed at Miami. I like the coaches there. But he was dead-set against it."

Four of the remaining seven new arrivals in the secondary are expected to make it onto the travel roster: LaDarius Gunter, Tracy Howard, Antonio Crawford and Deon Bush.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...-longer-trusted-um-coaches.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Vernon Davis' high school coach said the freshman cornerback -- headed to West Virginia -- no longer trusted UM coaches

Vernon Davis grew up dreaming of playing for the Miami Hurricanes. But that dream has apparently died after a few weeks of training camp.

The freshman cornerback from Miami Coral Reef received his release from scholarship Tuesday and according to his former high school coach will be headed to West Virginia on Wednesday morning.

"He just felt like he couldn't trust their coaches anymore," Coral Reef coach Chevas Clements said. "He wasn't happy. He saw how he had slid down the depth chart and how UM was going out and getting all these commitments from guys like [Miami Northwestern's] Artie Burns and [Southridge's] Jamal Carter. When was he going to play?"
Davis, a three-star recruit and former All-Dade First Team selection by The Miami Herald, asked for his release on Friday. Clements said UM coaches tried to convince him to stay. But in the end, Davis' heart was set on leaving.

"At West Virginia they got two walk-ons who are backups," Clements said. "He knows he's got a much better chance to get on the field there."

Clements said Davis was on his way to Coral Reef to fax his information to West Virginia. Per NCAA rules, Davis will sit out the 2012 season.

"He was going to redshirt anyway," Clements said. "Honestly, I would have preferred if he stayed at Miami. I like the coaches there. But he was dead-set against it."

Four of the remaining seven new arrivals in the secondary are expected to make it onto the travel roster: LaDarius Gunter, Tracy Howard, Antonio Crawford and Deon Bush.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...-longer-trusted-um-coaches.html#storylink=cpy

The kid is a true FR who has been in camp for about 20 days (or did he enroll early). Unreal what goes through these kid's minds.

Wow @ the above quote. So if coaches start recruiting your position after you're on campus, they're no longer trustworthy?

Advertisement
43.gif

You just KNOW he's going to ball out at WVU like all the rest of the south florida players we let go up there... smh

Probably. He's a good player but as we all know we're loaded at CB and more specifically we have Antonio Crawford who's a very similar player but with more skill. Crawford beat him out now and likely would've for his entire career. Even if Davis succeeds at WVU this doesn't hurt us much.

The only transfers I can think of who succeeded after leaving Miami are Arthur Brown, Shawnbrey McNeal and Nate Harris (sort-of, not really a transfer).

Advertisement
Wouldn't be surprised if another Corner moves, too.

Gunter is going to be here for 3 more years. Burns may come in as a Corner. Bush may be a corner. Howard is basically a starter as a Frosh. Crawford has been lauded a guy who'll play as a Frosh. Hope and Dortch are still waiting in the wings.

******' a, Al. I like what you've done w/ this position, LB and I like what's he'll have done with the DT position if he gets Bryant/Bain/Bostwick.

Please do the same at Safety. Please do the same at DE. Sprinkle in some key offensive playmakers (the elite).

Rock and roll.

+a bajillion

As we talked about in the class review threads our defensive recruiting before Golden got here was catastrophic. Hopefully guys like Jenkins and Carter can be legit safeties going forward, and maybe a guy like Parker who looks pretty good, can find a spot as well.

Wish him the best...but he sure is coming off like a punk *****ing about the staff recruiting more high level Dbs.

Advertisement
Wow @ the above quote. So if coaches start recruiting your position after you're on campus, they're no longer trustworthy?
Yep--that's what I read out of that too. That's just Davis trying to rationalize his decision and trying to make himself look good. Problem is, when you say it's the coaches' fault that you're not beating out the competition and your motivations for transferring are clearly PT-driven...you can't really blame the coaches. They have to let the guys compete and allow the cream to rise to the top--and at the same time, they can't just stop recruiting your position for the next 2-3 years until the light goes on for you.

He should have never said that to his coach, and really, his coach shouldn't have put that out there to the media. It makes Davis look petty.

Also, I must spread some reputation around before giving it to Dan E. Dangerously again.

He doesn't trust the coaches because they keep recruiting defensive backs?

I can't imagine the coaches would tell him they were done recruiting CBs for the remainder of his eligibility.

Soft.

Disappointing, because I was driving his bandwagon.

109.jpg

I guess we know who Golden was talking about in his interview on WQAM yesterday, kids who felt entitled to a spot for no reason. I thought he was talking about an upperclassman though, not one of the freshmen.

Peter - I forget if this was Davis (might have ben Waters who is at WR), but was it him who said he wanted to play on the offensive side of the ball? If so WVU probably looking at him there.

Think the opposite was true. Speaking to some high school players from his neck of the woods he wants to stay on the defensive side of the ball.

Back to the original source... Said he had performed well during the summer, but was clearly beat out by the rest of the group once camp began.

Advertisement
Back