Ruiz family attempting to build a stadium in Coral Gables...

Advertisement
I’ve already said the parking/traffic is a big issue, and the only way to resolve it is probably literally with hundreds of millions of dollars worth of civic/road improvements, roads, just a ton of infrastructure. So the question is how is that possible.

But I will as a fan, and a donor, humor this shlt, as long as these guys are going to put money into the actual program infrastructure, and pay big money for big-time coaches and assistants and program upgrades.
You do realize you’re talking about a very rich city that has been dealing with traffic problems beyond belief for more than 40 years. I mean I am on these roads every day and the traffic is just insane now imagine at 50,000 seats stadium. You’re talking an absolute zoo.

50K is nowhere near big enough. When we play a big game against a team with a bigtime fanbase, their fans will end up with 40% of the seats. It needs to be a minimum of 65K because of big games.

You cannot name a single bigtime program with a sub 65K stadium. Certainly none that have won a national title.

Do NOT buy into the small private skool nonsense. UM is Miami's team and Miami is a large market.
I hear you about the size, but the reason fans from other teams buy up too many tickets is because of our dumb fanbase doesn't buy their tickets quick enough, plus us sucking.

Advertisement
Ticket revenue is the smallest part of this equation.
My post was in relation to tickets and I offered a comparable example. Obviously things like politics, and cost are completely different between the two. My argument is we don't need a stadium larger than about 50k and I think our attendance reflects that.

I really don’t believe about 14k less fans would really matter. What’s Autzen hold again?

Not enough to field a team that's won a national title.

See the discussion in this thread. No team with a stadium capacity under 65K has ever won a national title (in the modern era).*

* half titles dont count

Advertisement
I hear you about the size, but the reason fans from other teams buy up too many tickets is because of our dumb fanbase doesn't buy their tickets quick enough, plus us sucking.

The reason other entities have shrunk their stadiums to the 45-50K range is because they want to attract more events. A sub-50K stadium is more versatile. That would be good for John Ruiz and his pet stadium but bad for UM football.

Advertisement
The reason other entities have shrunk their stadiums to the 45-50K range is because they want to attract more events. A sub-50K stadium is more versatile. That would be good for John Ruiz and his pet stadium but bad for UM football.
You would probably get another 5k in standing room only seats.

We are filling more than 55k seats except during 1 or 2 big games a year and that is if we are playing well.

50k puts us on par with UNC (50.5k), Stanford (50k), and Syracuse (49.2k). For a school our size it's fine. Like you said design it well and it will be plenty loud. Leaving it with an open endzone for possible renovations would be great as well.
Not to be a Debbie downer but where will people tailgate?

The university would benefit tremendously financially from owning its own stadium. You’re looking at it from a fan experience perspective, which are valid concerns. I think 60k-65k is a good number for our stadium. That being said, If any of this news is even close to being true, no way Miami says no.

Advertisement
How much did it cost Jeffrey Loria to pay off Manny Diaz Sr. to get Marlins Stadium built?
Coral Gables can be bought, but in a different way.

I just want to watch this play out for the fun of it.

Again, wicked clever idea.

A way he could have more than a puncher's chance...

partner with Next Era Energy (aka FPL).

With that said, Beckham/Mas/InterMiami are on what... there 3/4/5th choice??

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back