FBI Uncovers Massive NCAA Scandal, Miami Coach Investigated

Another day, and Coach 3 is still employed. IMO, the only reason he is still employed at this point is if there is serious question about the evidence against him.

It isn't just that. The school has to be very careful about this whole process and that includes Coach-3 employment status.

Exactly and I'm anything but a doomsdayer on this but technically even Pitino is still employed (albeit without pay) by Louisville. I wouldn't read too much into Coach 3's current status either way as there may be contractual timeframes and legal bases to cover before canning someone. That said, I'd obviously much prefer the evidence against him to be underwhelming.

All I keep hearing from the talking heads that this is just the tip of the iceberg. I don't know about that. The Feds historically do not take action until they have all that they need in place...then they bring the hammer down.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Another day, and Coach 3 is still employed. IMO, the only reason he is still employed at this point is if there is serious question about the evidence against him.

It isn't just that. The school has to be very careful about this whole process and that includes Coach-3 employment status.

Exactly and I'm anything but a doomsdayer on this but technically even Pitino is still employed (albeit without pay) by Louisville. I wouldn't read too much into Coach 3's current status either way as there may be contractual timeframes and legal bases to cover before canning someone. That said, I'd obviously much prefer the evidence against him to be underwhelming.

All I keep hearing from the talking heads that this is just the tip of the iceberg. I don't know about that. The Feds historically do not take action until they have all that they need in place...then they bring the hammer down.

Agreed. To be fair though, the talking heads want and need this to be the tip of the iceberg. At some point one might also think that as flashy as this is that the FBI won't invest enough resources to legitimately take down that 100 program figure that has been floating around since Dan Dakich and Jeff Goodman threw some spaghetti against the wall.

It is the tip of the iceberg in THIS regard: of the people caught on wiretaps, now the FBI will interrogate them; assuming they roll over and name names, then you will see more of the iceberg.

Also, I think people are using that expression because it is OBVIOUS that Nike is involved, and it is probably apparent that way more schools and coaches and recruits are involved.

That ONE snitch can't possibly set up 200 coaches at once. The FBI probably figured they had enough higher-up types that they could start the log-rolling process of getting them to spill their guts.

Let me say this ... none of these asst coaches are going to jail for this ... they will all take plea bargains for burying the bigger fish.. College basketball has been stinkin for years especially with the "one and done" deals

Advertisement

Let me say this ... none of these asst coaches are going to jail for this ... they will all take plea bargains for burying the bigger fish.. College basketball has been stinkin for years especially with the "one and done" deals

I am going to link a very good article on this subject that was just posted (essentially mocking this whole investigative/prosecutorial overreach), but I would just point out...

The FBI is cutting a deal with a guy who defrauded people of $2.5 MILLION, just to go after people who make a $100K deal.

Let that sink in, and then you can imagine what kind of a defense will be put on INDIVIDUALLY by various defendants, since this is a criminal case, and not a class action civil lawsuit.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/09/29/college-basketball-corruption-scandal

What other coaches referenced in the indictment are still undisclosed?

What other coaches referenced in the indictment are still undisclosed?

Theoretically all of them aside from the people that have been arrested. Pitino being outed as "Coach #2 " is still just (correct) assumption/reportage by various media outlets.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Louisville started the process to fire Pitino "with cause" today. An obvious move but one reflective of the legal hoops that have to be cleared to dump a coach today and shield your school from legal recourse.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...fire-rick-pitino-after-contract-breach-claim/

They'll probably end up settling with Pitino for a portion of the rest of his contract. Otherwise this will drag on in litigation for years.

Agreed. I'd love for a school to say just once though that a coach fired with (proper) cause ain't getting a cent more. A major university has the legal counsel available to fight it forever. You're right though, most just want the problem to "disappear".

Advertisement
Is this a joint NCAA and FBI investigation? The reason that i ask is because the FBI can't be compelled to turn information over to the NCAA. Will the NCAA be able to use testimony given to the FBI to go after other schools? Heresay during a wiretap from the FBI without other information probably won't be enough to convict any school with decent lawyers. I expect(hope) we'll be interviewed when the feds are done but nothing much will come from it.

Is this a joint NCAA and FBI investigation? The reason that i ask is because the FBI can't be compelled to turn information over to the NCAA. Will the NCAA be able to use testimony given to the FBI to go after other schools? Heresay during a wiretap from the FBI without other information probably won't be enough to convict any school with decent lawyers. I expect(hope) we'll be interviewed when the feds are done but nothing much will come from it.

NCAA was completely in the dark.

Advertisement
Back