FBI Uncovers Massive NCAA Scandal, Miami Coach Investigated

Bilas, who also is a lawyer. said on Finebaum a few minutes ago, that soliciting funds for a player, especially one who arrives at your school, is an NCAA infraction that accrues also to the head coach. This was said in the context of University 6 which is Lousiville. He said that that allegation was the worst in the college cases. If there is a coach 3, and he made the request and it is proved, he will be fired and probably be given a show cause. Program implications are unknown.

That's kind of the key here to me.."especially one who arrives at your school"...

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but what it appears they have is 2 Defendants discussing a coach basically urging THEM to do something illegal, then, ultimately....it never occurs, rather, the illegal act occurs elsewhere.

So, is conspiracy to commit a crime (that never occurs) good enough without any other evidence beyond a wiretap of 2 presumed guilty individuals? Hmmm...sounds weak as **** to me.

UM

It may sound weak but burden of proof with NCAA is not the same as proof required in a courtroom

No, it is weak, even by NCAA standards. Loads of NCAA investigations into Auburn and many others had a boat load of witnesses that saw money change hands, and they ended with "no paper trail"...and eye witnesses are not enough.

Now if you want to have a discussion about how the NCAA hates UM to the core and treat us different, no argument from me.

UM

Advertisement
sorry if posted but so far there doesn't seem to be an actual link to our staff does there?

The inside story of how the FBI brought the words corruption

With Louisville and its recruits apparently secured, Gatto, Code, Dawkins and Augustine moved on to more pressing concerns -- a second plan to land a recruit they'd been simultaneously scheming about. According to the FBI, they conspired to funnel approximately $150,000 to an unidentified player who was being recruited by the University of Miami. They planned to follow a scheme similar to the one used with the Louisville recruits to keep the player from signing with a school sponsored by a rival apparel company, which they claimed had offered the player $150,000, according to the complaint.
During calls that were intercepted by FBI wiretaps, Gatto asked Code if the payments could be pushed to 2018 because he wasn't sure he could make it work. "I just don't know if I can do anything in '17, that's what I'm saying," Gatto told Code. Gatto then asked Code if the player being recruited by Miami might accept $100,000, which is what they paid the Louisville's recruit. Code said he wasn't sure if his family would take that much less, but he'd try to reduce their offer by $25,000. Code warned Gatto that if they waited until January 2018, the recruit's asking price might be $200,000.
On Aug. 19, Code informed Augustine that Adidas was willing to do what was necessary to help the Hurricanes secure the recruit, but "everything was kind of strapped for '17. So '18 puts us in a better place to have this conversation."

That doesn't contain everything. You'd have to read the actual report. They talked about one of our coaches "knowing everything" and that he had requested the payment. We don't know which coach.

i saw that but that doesn't mean too much without further corroboration. i just hope they dont have any additional evidence.

Exactly my point.

We are all used to the bully treatment by the NCAA against Miami, so obviously we are not being ridiculous to assume they will find a way to punish us.

That being said, we have 2 defendants talking about a coach "knowing" and "requesting a payment."

So...is that enough when no payment was ever made and Miami never landed the recruit? If I plan on violating NCAA recruiting rules, and then I don't...FOR WHATEVER REASON...what section is violated?

UM

Bilas, who also is a lawyer. said on Finebaum a few minutes ago, that soliciting funds for a player, especially one who arrives at your school, is an NCAA infraction that accrues also to the head coach. This was said in the context of University 6 which is Lousiville. He said that that allegation was the worst in the college cases. If there is a coach 3, and he made the request and it is proved, he will be fired and probably be given a show cause. Program implications are unknown.

That's kind of the key here to me.."especially one who arrives at your school"...

I'm definitely no expert on the subject, but what it appears they have is 2 Defendants discussing a coach basically urging THEM to do something illegal, then, ultimately....it never occurs, rather, the illegal act occurs elsewhere.

So, is conspiracy to commit a crime (that never occurs) good enough without any other evidence beyond a wiretap of 2 presumed guilty individuals? Hmmm...sounds weak as **** to me.

UM

It may sound weak but burden of proof with NCAA is not the same as proof required in a courtroom

No, it is weak, even by NCAA standards. Loads of NCAA investigations into Auburn and many others had a boat load of witnesses that saw money change hands, and they ended with "no paper trail"...and eye witnesses are not enough.

Now if you want to have a discussion about how the NCAA hates UM to the core and treat us different, no argument from me.

UM

I'm sure you know by now that there exists a different standard of proof between an SEC school and UM....at least with regards to the NCAA.

Advertisement
sorry if posted but so far there doesn't seem to be an actual link to our staff does there?

With Louisville and its recruits apparently secured, Gatto, Code, Dawkins and Augustine moved on to more pressing concerns -- a second plan to land a recruit they'd been simultaneously scheming about. According to the FBI, they conspired to funnel approximately $150,000 to an unidentified player who was being recruited by the University of Miami. They planned to follow a scheme similar to the one used with the Louisville recruits to keep the player from signing with a school sponsored by a rival apparel company, which they claimed had offered the player $150,000, according to the complaint.
During calls that were intercepted by FBI wiretaps, Gatto asked Code if the payments could be pushed to 2018 because he wasn't sure he could make it work. "I just don't know if I can do anything in '17, that's what I'm saying," Gatto told Code. Gatto then asked Code if the player being recruited by Miami might accept $100,000, which is what they paid the Louisville's recruit. Code said he wasn't sure if his family would take that much less, but he'd try to reduce their offer by $25,000. Code warned Gatto that if they waited until January 2018, the recruit's asking price might be $200,000.
On Aug. 19, Code informed Augustine that Adidas was willing to do what was necessary to help the Hurricanes secure the recruit, but "everything was kind of strapped for '17. So '18 puts us in a better place to have this conversation."

If this was everything, it wouldn't be so bad. But of course it's not.

I do find it interesting however that no heads have rolled at Miami (FL) yet. If it was a cut and dry situation like Auburn, Arizona, Louisville, South Carolina, Okie State, and now Bama, the implicated coach would be gone already.

We have proven at Miami that we have the worst compliance office in the country. They could spend a year trying to figure out who Coach 3 is. It's amazing to me that they don't seem to be able to clean this **** up. They talk a good game.

Maybe Coach 3 didn't actually do anything except reference that it would take $150K to get the recruit to Miami (FL) because he knew what Arizona was doing, and the scum bags at Adidas talking about him asking for money were full of ****? If there's no paper trail, no phone tap, no evidence of a payment actually being made (the one thing in all of this that we know for certain is that there was no payment made), and no commitment to Miami (FL), it sounds like a "he said, he said" situation. Whatever it is, I hope this doesn't drag on for years like the ******* "cloud."

I'm sure you know by now that there exists a different standard of proof between an SEC school and UM....at least with regards to the NCAA.[/QUOTE]

We are basically saying the same thing, I am just pointing out that the "standard of proof" is in black and white...the application of the standard against the $EC and UM is not.

UM

I do find it interesting however that no heads have rolled at Miami (FL) yet. If it was a cut and dry situation like Auburn, Arizona, Louisville, South Carolina, Okie State, and now Bama, the implicated coach would be gone already.

We have proven at Miami that we have the worst compliance office in the country. They could spend a year trying to figure out who Coach 3 is. It's amazing to me that they don't seem to be able to clean this **** up. They talk a good game.
They are totally incompetent. This crap keeps happening over and over again. Miami is NOT a well-run institution. I'm sorry if that ****es some of you off, but it has been that way since way back in the60's and early '70's since I was there. It simply never improves.

Advertisement
The most interesting part to me is it reads like Adidas was the driver almost more so than the schools/coaches wanting to get players at Adidas schools for the future benefits.

Only 1 team can win a national title.

adidas benefits for decades by getting players under contract when they are still in high school.

Yeah...if only we hired a former NCAA compliance person...like Alabama did...

The obvious in all of this is the way that the merchandise companies get their hooks into the AAU programs and then control the flow of kids to whatever program is "chosen".

There may be some decent AAU coaches out there...but I have never met one. They are parasites that pray on high school teams...they get involved in some way or another and then basically prostitute the kids out. I coached HS basketball for about 10 years at a small Catholic high school in an inner city and you would not believe the things that these guys do. I had one AAU coach "collect" (steal) money from about 10 kids to play on his team...then he cherry-picked the top two, who were the only ones to ever see a court with him.

To speculate now would be completely inappropriate but the article at stateoftheu.com broke everything down really well and it does seem like the ones who are in real trouble are the Adidas people and the AAU guys.

As someone said...if you plan to rob a bank and then do not do it, what can you be charged with?

The obvious in all of this is the way that the merchandise companies get their hooks into the AAU programs and then control the flow of kids to whatever program is "chosen".

There may be some decent AAU coaches out there...but I have never met one. They are parasites that pray on high school teams...they get involved in some way or another and then basically prostitute the kids out. I coached HS basketball for about 10 years at a small Catholic high school in an inner city and you would not believe the things that these guys do. I had one AAU coach "collect" (steal) money from about 10 kids to play on his team...then he cherry-picked the top two, who were the only ones to ever see a court with him.

To speculate now would be completely inappropriate but the article at stateoftheu.com broke everything down really well and it does seem like the ones who are in real trouble are the Adidas people and the AAU guys.

As someone said...if you plan to rob a bank and then do not do it, what can you be charged with?

Did someone say rob a bank?!

maxresdefault-4.webp

Advertisement

tenor.gif

Yet Alabamas associate AD resigned Wednesday night because of this scandal

Advertisement
Another day, and Coach 3 is still employed. IMO, the only reason he is still employed at this point is if there is serious question about the evidence against him.

Another day, and Coach 3 is still employed. IMO, the only reason he is still employed at this point is if there is serious question about the evidence against him.

It isn't just that. The school has to be very careful about this whole process and that includes Coach-3 employment status.

It isn't just that. The school has to be very careful about this whole process and that includes Coach-3 employment status.

Exactly and I'm anything but a doomsdayer on this but technically even Pitino is still employed (albeit without pay) by Louisville. I wouldn't read too much into Coach 3's current status either way as there may be contractual timeframes and legal bases to cover before canning someone. That said, I'd obviously much prefer the evidence against him to be underwhelming.

Attempt and/or conspiracy to _________ .

I agree completely with you. The thing that seems to be more on our/"coach 3's" side is that apparently he has not been recorded having a conversation over the phone...from what we know right now. It turns into a "he said/he said" type of deal. And then you have at least 3 guys who have already been indicted trying to turn everything into a witch hunt. All coach 3 would have to say is that "Yeah...they contacted me and I told them to go ***** because we don't run that type of program here." Obviously the kid in question did not sign here.

Let's hope.

Advertisement
Back