FBI Uncovers Massive NCAA Scandal, Miami Coach Investigated

Advertisement
If the allegations are true and provable enough for the NCAA, the best case scenario for us is for this to really spiral. I don't know if the NCAA has the capacity to sanction dozens of schools at the same time.

My concern is that this isn't the first attempt at this, and if Gatto really sings he may implicate players currently on the roster.

Last edited:
What are the exact charges? Forgive my ignorance on the matter but I was under the impression paying a recruit is only an NCAA violation, not a federal crime that the FBI needs to be involved with. Thanks in advance.

The crime for the coaches was a federal statute prohibiting employees of organizations that receive federal funds from taking bribes. The 4 coaches that were arrested all pocketed money from the other non-coach conspirators.

The crime for the non-coaches was fraud.

That has nothing to do with us though.

Right, exactly. That's why none of our coaches (or any of the coaches at Louisville) were arrested. They didn't take bribes, so no federal crime seems to have been broken by them. The adidas guys who actually paid the players committed the federal crime (wire fraud, etc). Our guys would have been accessories to it, but the FBI is clearly after bigger fish here.

Our problem is with the NCAA. Arranging payments to recruits is really, really bad and would likely get any school who does it (or who tries to do it and fails) hammered by NCAA penalties. It looks like we're the least bad of all the teams to be named so far (i.e. we tried to have Adidas pay players for us and just sucked at it!), but this is not a list that anyone wants to be on. I'd be surprised if the list of these schools stayed at seven, though. Who knows what other evidence the FBI has accumulated -- you better believe that they're turning it all over to the NCAA once their investigation is done, and then we (and a bunch of other schools) are in trouble.

Us being in trouble with the NCAA has become a permanent status.

We get it douche. You've posted it 10X! Your post history says you are not a Canes fan.

If the allegations are true and provable enough for the NCAA, the best case scenario for us is for this to really spiral. I don't know if the NCAA has the capacity to sanction dozens of schools at the same time.

My concern is that this isn't the first attempt at this, and if Gatto really sings he may implicate players currently on the roster.

Agreed. Or at worst have another school or two or three end up just below Louisville but above us in severity of transgressions. I'd like to think all the places like Arizona that actually had staff arrested could form that buffer.

Advertisement
[TWEET]913186415378419712[/TWEET]
Bet this got to do with bama signing Collin Sexton 5 star pg from ga this year who played on the Nike aau EYBL team who the fbi started to investigate today. Oh sh*t, that team has sent multiple elite players to the basketball power schools. It’s about to get crazy

Advertisement
Bet this got to do with bama signing Collin Sexton 5 star pg from ga this year who played on the Nike aau EYBL team who the fbi started to investigate today. Oh sh*t, that team has sent multiple elite players to the basketball power schools. It’s about to get crazy

Unless I'm confusing something, EYBL is an AAU league, not a team. Several teams play in EYBL

Unless I'm confusing something, EYBL is an AAU league, not a team. Several teams play in EYBL

Yeah, they play in the eybl basketball circuit

Advertisement
Pretty clear thus far that ...

1. Coach 3 was trying to arrange payments from Adidas to player but thankfully is not on tape anywhere doing it.
2. Player went elsewhere so hopefully that mitigates some.
3. Coach 3 gets thrown down the bottomless pit and we skate?

SOLD

CBS is reporting Coach 2 was Pitino. Louisville radio station saying Coach 2 was not Pitino. Sure hope Coach L was not Coach 3.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back