FBI Uncovers Massive NCAA Scandal, Miami Coach Investigated

This is all anyone is talking about in KY. I am from there, moved to FL in 1989. Still a KY fan but love The U, also. This story is all the media, fans, etc. are talking about. There is media camped out everywhere reporting on every move anyone makes. Really a big deal there. Hard to find any info about Coach L and basketball program. Any media at Hecht Center?

It's football season

True but basketball practice starts next week, I think. Have to realize it is ALWAYS basketball season in KY.

Advertisement
It will never end, folks. We will ALWAYS be in Emmert's dog house and on probation for something. Can't understand why the people in our Athletic Department CANNOT stay out of trouble. Incompetence of the worst kind. How does that big Adidas contract look now that it's going to bring another letter on inquiry from Emmett and his hounds and result in another "lack of institutional control" finding, if not criminal charges for some of the BB coaches. This bunch can NEVER get out of their own way.

Didn't realize Emmertt headed the FBI (you know, the people actually leading this investigation) and had the ability to bring criminal charges on coaches! Wow, learn something new everyday.

It will never end, folks. We will ALWAYS be in Emmert's dog house and on probation for something. Can't understand why the people in our Athletic Department CANNOT stay out of trouble. Incompetence of the worst kind. How does that big Adidas contract look now that it's going to bring another letter on inquiry from Emmett and his hounds and result in another "lack of institutional control" finding, if not criminal charges for some of the BB coaches. This bunch can NEVER get out of their own way.

Didn't realize Emmertt headed the FBI (you know, the people actually leading this investigation) and had the ability to bring criminal charges on coaches! Wow, learn something new everyday.

Yes, so far this is FBI, federal. Question is, can/will NCAA get involved? NCAA may get involved with Louisville because they are on probation now for Adult Entertainment scandal in dorms.

What is the difference here between us and Louisville who was also generically “named”and had no coaches charged other than I believe they actually got the player ? Someone tell me how we aren’t going to get crushed here.

Louisville and Adidas went through with the bribe. They were able to secure the payment and get the player. A Miami coach was mentioned in Adidas conversations about requesting and knowing about a possible payment for a recruit.

Louisville is also already on probation for cheating.

Advertisement
Of course the NCAA will get involved in all of it. The fact that this whole thing was going on under their noses (the corruption AND the FBI investigation) is embarrassing.

What is the difference here between us and Louisville who was also generically “named”and had no coaches charged other than I believe they actually got the player ? Someone tell me how we aren’t going to get crushed here.

Louisville and Adidas went through with the bribe. They were able to secure the payment and get the player. A Miami coach was mentioned in Adidas conversations about requesting and knowing about a possible payment for a recruit.

Of all the universities mentioned in the indictment, Miami (FL) is the least bad actor. Little comfort.

Of all the universities mentioned in the indictment, Miami (FL) is the least bad actor. Little comfort.

Yeah, so far though.

Yeah, so far though.

Yeah, it's like having a mild case of AIDS.

Advertisement
What are the exact charges? Forgive my ignorance on the matter but I was under the impression paying a recruit is only an NCAA violation, not a federal crime that the FBI needs to be involved with. Thanks in advance.

Joe Sonka ‏ [MENTION=2547]joe[/MENTION]sonka 1m1 minute ago
More
Postel: I can't reveal who Coach-1 and Coach-2 are, but we know who they are.
0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes
Reply Retweet Like Direct message

What are the exact charges? Forgive my ignorance on the matter but I was under the impression paying a recruit is only an NCAA violation, not a federal crime that the FBI needs to be involved with. Thanks in advance.

There aren't charges against us for now, but could it have something to do with getting the recruits to promise they'll sign with Adidas when they turn pro? I don't know when a bribe is illegal and when it's not.

Fraud and racketeering. The IRS will be involved.

Advertisement
This is all anyone is talking about in KY. I am from there, moved to FL in 1989. Still a KY fan but love The U, also. This story is all the media, fans, etc. are talking about. There is media camped out everywhere reporting on every move anyone makes. Really a big deal there. Hard to find any info about Coach L and basketball program. Any media at Hecht Center?

It's football season

True but basketball practice starts next week, I think. Have to realize it is ALWAYS basketball season in KY.

That was my point. Our media here doesn't really care too much about basketball until January.

Yeah, so far though.

Seems to be working out fine for Magic Johnson

Advertisement

Yeah, so far though.

Seems to be working out fine for Magic Johnson

Speaking of AIDS

B9R4OE7CEAAC0sb.webp

So based on Louisville press conference, Louisville knows who player is and coaches involved. Does this mean Miami knows who is allegedly involved from the staff?

The crime for the coaches was a federal statute prohibiting employees of organizations that receive federal funds from taking bribes. The 4 coaches that were arrested all pocketed money from the other non-coach conspirators.

The crime for the non-coaches was fraud.

The crime for the coaches was a federal statute prohibiting employees of organizations that receive federal funds from taking bribes. The 4 coaches that were arrested all pocketed money from the other non-coach conspirators.

The crime for the non-coaches was fraud.

That has nothing to do with us though.

Advertisement
Back