FBI Uncovers Massive NCAA Scandal, Miami Coach Investigated

What are the exact charges? Forgive my ignorance on the matter but I was under the impression paying a recruit is only an NCAA violation, not a federal crime that the FBI needs to be involved with. Thanks in advance.

The crime for the coaches was a federal statute prohibiting employees of organizations that receive federal funds from taking bribes. The 4 coaches that were arrested all pocketed money from the other non-coach conspirators.

The crime for the non-coaches was fraud.

That has nothing to do with us though.

Right, exactly. That's why none of our coaches (or any of the coaches at Louisville) were arrested. They didn't take bribes, so no federal crime seems to have been broken by them. The adidas guys who actually paid the players committed the federal crime (wire fraud, etc). Our guys would have been accessories to it, but the FBI is clearly after bigger fish here.

Our problem is with the NCAA. Arranging payments to recruits is really, really bad and would likely get any school who does it (or who tries to do it and fails) hammered by NCAA penalties. It looks like we're the least bad of all the teams to be named so far (i.e. we tried to have Adidas pay players for us and just sucked at it!), but this is not a list that anyone wants to be on. I'd be surprised if the list of these schools stayed at seven, though. Who knows what other evidence the FBI has accumulated -- you better believe that they're turning it all over to the NCAA once their investigation is done, and then we (and a bunch of other schools) are in trouble.

Advertisement
What are the exact charges? Forgive my ignorance on the matter but I was under the impression paying a recruit is only an NCAA violation, not a federal crime that the FBI needs to be involved with. Thanks in advance.

The crime for the coaches was a federal statute prohibiting employees of organizations that receive federal funds from taking bribes. The 4 coaches that were arrested all pocketed money from the other non-coach conspirators.

Right, exactly. That's why none of our coaches (or any of the coaches at Louisville) were arrested. They didn't take bribes, so no federal crime seems to have been broken by them. The adidas guys who actually paid the players committed the federal crime (wire fraud, etc). Our guys would have been accessories to it, but the FBI is clearly after bigger fish here.

Our problem is with the NCAA. Arranging payments to recruits is really, really bad and would likely get any school who does it (or who tries to do it and fails) hammered by NCAA penalties. It looks like we're the least bad of all the teams to be named so far (i.e. we tried to have Adidas pay players for us and just sucked at it!), but this is not a list that anyone wants to be on. I'd be surprised if the list of these schools stayed at seven, though. Who knows what other evidence the FBI has accumulated -- you better believe that they're turning it all over to the NCAA once their investigation is done, and then we (and a bunch of other schools) are in trouble.

Us being in trouble with the NCAA has become a permanent status.

So based on Louisville press conference, Louisville knows who player is and coaches involved. Does this mean Miami knows who is allegedly involved from the staff?

How difficult could it be to figure out?

It is not; however, Louisville acknowledged all of this today. Haven't heard anything from Miami, which I am hoping is a good thing?

Could be a good move by the school. Coach L's lawyer said something to the effect of "we don't know who did it when the accusations are so shrouded". This is essentially pleading ignorance and surprise. If we were like, "yep it's this dude he's shady as ****" it wouldn't look as good on the school because we should have fired him before.

Advertisement

I'm not so sure that our Federal Investigative Agencies are in the habit of turning over detailed records of their investigative methods and work product to private entities. What makes you so certain of this? I am probably totally off base, but my understanding is that the FBI and other Federal Law Enforcement Agencies are established to protect and enforce the laws of the United States, not to meddle in the affairs of private corporations???

Now, as cases proceed through the courts, which will take years, surely details will become known and official record based on evidence introduced at trial and sworn testimony, but that is a far cry altogether from the FBI turning over all of the evidence they've accumulated in a neat set of organized file boxes and saying, here NCAA, we thought you might like to have this...

Buckle up, kids, this thing is going to take YEARS. And right now, NO ONE truly knows the final outcome with 100% certainty, not even the FBI investigators, who are notoriously successful at getting convictions once they get to the point of indicting someone. Conjecture all you want, but you don't know ****. And if you think you do, you probably know even less.

He has three **** assistant coaches. One of them (Brunt) was the key recruiter for the player in question. Odds are it's Brunt. If I'm one of the assistants who isn't Coach 3, I sure as **** would want everybody to know that ASAP.

You very easily could make the case that Caputo has the most lose here of anybody- Coach Larranaga included.

Advertisement
All of this is just a tune-up. Once they start the possibility of jail time, look for the canaries to start singing loud .... these asst coaches and shoe company lower rung rats will all get plea deals ...

The real dance starts when ADs and HCs start facing indictments along with a few shoe company execs.... I think the dragnet will extend to Nike and Under Armour in the next few weeks.

Advertisement
All of this is just a tune-up. Once they start the possibility of jail time, look for the canaries to start singing loud .... these asst coaches and shoe company lower rung rats will all get plea deals ...

The real dance starts when ADs and HCs start facing indictments along with a few shoe company execs.... I think the dragnet will extend to Nike and Under Armour in the next few weeks.

Yep. I bet they have so many phones tapped right now.

Yep. I bet they have so many phones tapped right now.

I'm assuming my phones are tapped so I'm not saying anything incriminating.

NSA_Obama-550x374-e1488632680211.jpg

If what I just heard is true, then we may be in some trouble here

You act like such a little ***** at times.

Spit it out.

This is some weak sauce from Pete. I think everybody knows that if you're part of a federal indictment you "may be in some trouble here."
The issue is how much trouble and who is in trouble. Our intrepid reporter is firing blanks.

Advertisement
Look at the dates this started, James Comey in command of the FBI, working with his favorite in the Southern District of NY(Preet). As we have seen, a vengeful guy who didn't get any offers to play DI ball coming out of Northern Highlands Regional High School, forcing him to go to Bill and the and now possibly ******** Miami.

Like we needed any more reasons to dislike him?

This is perfect logic without any flaws whatsoever. Clearly the FBI and the NY DA was out to get Miami because they didn't offer James Comey a basketball scholarship in 1977.

You've cracked the case wide open mate.

LOL Did we even have a basketball team in 1977 ???

If what I just heard is true, then we may be in some trouble here

You act like such a little ***** at times.

Spit it out.

This is some weak sauce from Pete. I think everybody knows that if you're part of a federal indictment you "may be in some trouble here."
The issue is how much trouble and who is in trouble. Our intrepid reporter is firing blanks.

Agreed. Not one person in the world would come to a different conclusion than "if what I hear/read is true, then we may be in some trouble here."

Little cryptic stabs does nothing but get more Clicks for CIS... not bad Pete, not bad.
What else you got “off record “

Advertisement
Back