DIAMOND HEAD CLASSIC

Advertisement
Two very different halves...

First Half:

Our offense didn't look too good and we forced a bunch of bad shots. We also shot 1-7 from 3PT.

Hawaii on the other hand shot hit (5) 3s (5-13 from 3PT) and 46% of their FGs. Both are above their averages.

So the above, combined with some pretty crappy calls helped Hawaii.

Second Half:

Our offense played much better and we hit 4-6 from 3PT. We also hit ~68% of our FGs in this half. Hawaii didn't shoot as well this half.

---------

The Good:

- Lonnie had a great pass to Izundu (Izundu says get on my poster! - ESPN Video)
- Newton and Huell had 16 points each
- We shot 76.9% from FT (10-13)
- AMP on this move (Miami's Lawrence throws it down - ESPN Video)

The Bad:

- Brown's shooting. He shot poorly again and is 2-10 (FG) and 1-5 (3PT) since he was out against BU. He did have 8 assists this game.

Game #2 : New Mexico State on ESPN2 at 10:00 PM

NMS just barely beat Davidson by 1 point (went ahead with 8 seconds left). They're 10-2 and the only team to beat UTEP 2x this season so far (not an accomplishment). Their best player is Zach Lofton who transferred in this off-season and he scores ~19 PPG. Their best win this year may be on the road against Illinois (not that Illinois is good, it just is probably their best win).

Last year they were in the NCAAT but since then, they lost their coach (Paul Weir) and two leading scorers Ian Baker (PG) and Braxton Huggins (SG).

RPI:71st
BPI: 115th
SOS: 278th

They don't score a lot 74.3 PPG (201st), they play decent defense 65.4 PPG (52nd) and they shoot .350 from 3PT (178th).

Spread: Miami -9.0

Last edited:
Just watched the replay.

BB didn't look in pain, but I can't help but wonder that his injury is affecting his shot.

Michael Thomas had a really bad game for Hawaii. I think the dunk by Izundu on him summed it all up.

Game #2 : New Mexico State on ESPN2 at 10:00 PM

NMS just barely beat Davidson by 1 point (went ahead with 8 seconds left). They're 10-2 and the only team to beat UTEP 2x this season so far (not an accomplishment). Their best player is Zach Lofton who transferred in this off-season and he scores ~19 PPG. Their best win this year may be on the road against Illinois (not that Illinois is good, it just is probably their best win).

Last year they were in the NCAAT but since then, they lost their coach (Paul Weir) and two leading scorers Ian Baker (PG) and Braxton Huggins (SG).

RPI:71st
BPI: 115th
SOS: 278th

They don't score a lot 74.3 PPG (201st), they play decent defense 65.4 PPG (52nd) and they shoot .350 from 3PT (178th).

Spread: TBD

NMSU definitely has size and depth issues. Outside of Eli Chuha, they pretty much lack any kind of scoring off the bench. Get them in foul trouble, especially in the back court, and we will be fine.

We roll.

Advertisement
Just watched the replay.

BB didn't look in pain, but I can't help but wonder that his injury is affecting his shot.

Michael Thomas had a really bad game for Hawaii. I think the dunk by Izundu on him summed it all up.

Maybe but ... Bruce has never been known as a good outside shooter. This UM team is 180 degrees from what we are used to. This squad is athletic with mediocre shooting and (so far) poor FT shooting. Past UM squads were great 3 point and free throw shooting teams, with marginal athleticism.

NMSU is small, so I suspect Huell will shoot a high percentage again. Our backcourt should wear them out too. I think it'll be a tougher test than Hawaii, but we should handle them.

USC is going to be tough in the championship game. Boatwright came back yesterday, as did the other kid Matthews who was out injured. They'll be more like the USC team that started the season hot than the team that dropped three of four games lately. Should be a fun one if we both take care of business in the semis.

Just watched the replay.

Maybe but ... Bruce has never been known as a good outside shooter. This UM team is 180 degrees from what we are used to. This squad is athletic with mediocre shooting and (so far) poor FT shooting. Past UM squads were great 3 point and free throw shooting teams, with marginal athleticism.

Mediocre shooting? We have been over 50% shooting just about every game. If that’s mediocre shooting I will take it.

USC is going to be tough in the championship game. Boatwright came back yesterday, as did the other kid Matthews who was out injured. They'll be more like the USC team that started the season hot than the team that dropped three of four games lately. Should be a fun one if we both take care of business in the semis.

Not for nothing but they lost 3 games before Boatwright and Matthews were injured. They were 4-3 at that point (after that 3rd loss). USC isn't that good.

I am sure Coach L wants revenge against Enfield too.

Advertisement
Just watched the replay.

Mediocre shooting? We have been over 50% shooting just about every game. If that’s mediocre shooting I will take it.

CT, you are right. I guess that rain of 8 three pointers from Hawaii just got me carried way and a little envious. What was the count in the first half, 5-2?

Our boys didn’t look great but they took care of business in 2nd half probably still getting adjusted to the time change it’s not an easy transition. I’m proud of them ranked 6th in the nation. I’m glad unlike some here that we aren’t playing top notch competition because it gives B.B. a chance to get some confidence and get up to game speed so he can be jelling beautifully with his teammates once we enter ACC play. I’m excited let’s get another win tonight. Go Canes!!

Advertisement
NMSU is small, so I suspect Huell will shoot a high percentage again. Our backcourt should wear them out too. I think it'll be a tougher test than Hawaii, but we should handle them.

If USC beats Middle Tennessee

Just watched the replay.

Bruce worked on his shot like crazy in the offseason.

The game completely changed last night when L decided to just switch every screen involving Hawaii's stretch-four who was killing us from three/in general. They had no answer because our guys aside from Huell/Izundu are all capable of guarding anyone 1-4 on the opposing team.

It's a big reason the Warriors are so **** good defensively and I'd love for L to use this switching strategy, rather than hedge or go under PnR's, in bigger games down the road.

Advertisement
FWIW...

Spoke to brown after the GW game Without me asking or saying anything he brought up that his wrist hasn’t allow d him to shoot even in practice for 2weeks

So I’m sure there’s something there that should get better

Anyone hear hat walker supposedly said to the bench to get that T?

Just watched the replay.

I too have to really disagree . Vasilovich is a pure outide shooter. Lonnie and Chris are pure shooters. Brown and Newton are mid range. As a team we are quicker and more dangerous from the outside as any Miami team as a whole.

Gotta say, I am super impressed with both of these teams playing right now. Whether it's MTSU or USC that we face tomorrow, it is going to be a dog fight. Both teams can score in a lot of different ways.

Advertisement
Back