DIAMOND HEAD CLASSIC

Advertisement
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we signed a deal with ESPN to play in like 3-4 tournaments 3-4 years ahead of time (or more). We have no idea who the opponents are going to be (and no control). I'm sure Coach L assumed we'd have a better field like we did last time we played in Hawaii, and like we did last year in Orlando when we played Stanford, Iowa State and Florida, and in 2015 when we played Mississippi State, Utah and Butler in Puerto Rico.

Where did you get this info, that we signed 3-4 years ahead?

The reason I ask is we agreed (in November, 2017) to play in the 2018 Wooden Classic (see the link below). This was one year before the game.

With that said, the BIG10/ACC game and any tourney are not the real problem. We need to schedule better on the games we ACTUALLY control. We might not control who we play in the BIG10/ACC game and we can't specifically control who we play in the tourneys (we can pick the tourney itself).

So ignoring those 2 things...There is nothing wrong with scheduling 2-3 OOC games (each season) against teams with a pulse. Not sure why we can't play UF (alternate each year) and 2 other good teams as well. Maybe try to play one of those "neutral" games like we did when we played Providence at Barclays.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...utah-to-play-in-2018-wooden-legacy/107968688/

I remember reading an article that said we agreed to play in an ESPN sponsored tournament every year for like 3-4 years. Regardless, we agree before the field is announced anyway.

So no source, got it.

I think the bigger issue is obvious.

Yeah, I don't have a source from a couple of years ago and I'm not going to waste my time searching for it, but I like you ignore the part where I said when we agreed to the tournament, we didn't the know the opponents. That's a fact.

I didn't ignore anything. I posted about how we just found out about the 2018 Wooden Tourney. I don't know anything about some tourney or signing up 3 years in advance. I was curious if you had a source because I don't understand how these are picked/selected.

My whole post was about scheduling outside the tourney and Big10-ACC.

Ok, I found this. We signed up to be a part of this. This is from the press release for the Charleston Classic we were in 2014. So, STFU.

The Charleston Classic is owned and operated by ESPN Regional Television (ERT), a subsidiary of ESPN.

ESPN Events, a division of ESPN Regional Television (ERT), owns and operates a large portfolio of collegiate sporting events worldwide.

Armed Forces Classic (Camp Humphreys, South Korea); Charleston Classic Presented by Gildan (S.C.); Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic (Honolulu); Jimmy V Men's & Women's Basketball Classics presented by Corona Extra (Madison Square Garden & Durham, N.C.); Old Spice Classic (Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando, Fla.); Puerto Rico Tip-Off (San Juan, PR); State Farm Champions Classic (United Center, Chicago) and DIRECTV Wooden Legacy (Orange County, Calif.)

What are you talking about? We all know ESPN runs or has the right to broadcast a bunch of these things. Again, my point is not with the tourneys or the BIG10-ACC game, it is about scheduling some real opponents in the OOC schedule.

Last edited:
Hawaii hasn't done much since the days of Riley Wallace (and even then they didn't do much). Any team that scores vicariously through its front court (Senior Fs Michael Thomas, 12.6 ppg and Gibson Johnson 10.7 ppg) at the expense of their back court doesn't bring much to the table in the form of a balanced attack.

Hawaii isn't deep nor talented enough to make this one close.

As to USC, they're not the same team they could be. With De'Anthony Melton (ineligible), Jonah Mathews, Bennie Boatwright and Derryck Thorton (all injured) out, that's quite a hit to their lineup of late. Boatwright is a big time loss (15.4 ppg 8.3 rpg). He's an NBA prospect that can make shots from all over the floor.

USC at full strength would have been a threat. Who knows who will play in the tournament.

Last edited:
Ok, I found this. We signed up to be a part of this. This is from the press release for the Charleston Classic we were in 2014. So, STFU.

The Charleston Classic is owned and operated by ESPN Regional Television (ERT), a subsidiary of ESPN.

ESPN Events, a division of ESPN Regional Television (ERT), owns and operates a large portfolio of collegiate sporting events worldwide.

Armed Forces Classic (Camp Humphreys, South Korea); Charleston Classic Presented by Gildan (S.C.); Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic (Honolulu); Jimmy V Men's & Women's Basketball Classics presented by Corona Extra (Madison Square Garden & Durham, N.C.); Old Spice Classic (Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando, Fla.); Puerto Rico Tip-Off (San Juan, PR); State Farm Champions Classic (United Center, Chicago) and DIRECTV Wooden Legacy (Orange County, Calif.)

What are you talking about? We all know ESPN runs or has the right to broadcast a bunch of these things. Again, my point is not with the tourneys or the BIG10-ACC game, it is about scheduling some real opponents in the OOC schedule.

I'm talking that we signed a deal to be in these tourneys that ESPN runs. The deal was for 3-4 years (or more). If you notice, we've been in one every year. Hawaii, Charleston, Puerto Rico, Wooden, Orlando. People were ing about this tourney being bad. We didn't enter a bad tourney. We had no idea what the field was going to be when we decided to be in these tourneys. It's simple. Keep up.

Advertisement
Hawaii hasn't done much since the days of Riley Wallace (and even then they didn't do much). Any team that scores vicariously through its front court (Senior Fs Michael Thomas, 12.6 ppg and Gibson Johnson 10.7 ppg) at the expense of their back court doesn't bring much to the table in the form of a balanced attack.

As to USC, they're not the same team they could be. With De'Anthony Melton (ineligible), Jonah Mathews, Bennie Boatwright and Derryck Thorton (all injured) out, that's quite a hit to their lineup of late. Boatwright is a big time loss (15.4 ppg 8.3 rpg). He's an NBA prospect that can make shots from all over the floor.

USC at full strength would have been a threat. Who knows who will play in the tournament.

They weren't bad as of a few years ago, but sanctions really hit them hard, so Ganot is having to rebuild them. I worry about the travel aspect of it, having to go all the way from South FL to Honolulu, but it's probably a moot point.

I'm talking that we signed a deal to be in these tourneys that ESPN runs. The deal was for 3-4 years (or more). If you notice, we've been in one every year. Hawaii, Charleston, Puerto Rico, Wooden, Orlando. People were ing about this tourney being bad. We didn't enter a bad tourney. We had no idea what the field was going to be when we decided to be in these tourneys. It's simple. Keep up.

Although I don't see any deal where you sign up for 3-4 years in advance and I don't care if we did or didn't do that.

Nobody is saying we shouldn't do these tourneys, we're talking about the rest of the OOC schedule.

Hawaii is chit.

The games will be on tv starting with a Saturday 0100 Eastern Time game on ESPNU. Very excited to see what we can do, i hope BB is 100%

Advertisement
Its Hawaii the kids will love it. Its probably good for recruiting and its a reward for the AD and staff as well as probably a bunch of Administrative folks. I don't mind that we are not playing top competition right away as IMO we have very important stuff to work on. That being our 1/2 court offense. If improvements are not made this trip I will be very disappointed but I have no problem with this choice of venue

Advertisement
Geeze man. Why didn’t we enter a single interesting OOC contest? I just don’t get it.

Don’t @ me about the B10/ACC challenge. That just as easily could’ve been Nebraska as Minny.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we signed a deal with ESPN to play in like 3-4 tournaments 3-4 years ahead of time (or more). We have no idea who the opponents are going to be (and no control). I'm sure Coach L assumed we'd have a better field like we did last time we played in Hawaii, and like we did last year in Orlando when we played Stanford, Iowa State and Florida, and in 2015 when we played Mississippi State, Utah and Butler in Puerto Rico.

But what will I do with all of this outrage?

primal scream

I'll be at the game!!!! Wife is a UH grad, but I told her if she cheers for them over UM it's grounds for a divorce. We compromised- she will cheer for both teams. I'm not quite sure how that will work, but should be interesting to see.

Advertisement
USC was really impressive in beating Akron by 30 (after trailing at halftime). Big 6'11 Chimezie Metu was unstoppable inside in the second half.

Watching Davidson game. One thing that stands out is Miami speed. If we can just get our big boys to contribute like they need to we should be able to control the tourney.

Advertisement
Back