Crown Swasey???

The fact that Miami didn't have a nutritionist before this past year would be the major problem. Anyone who knows anything about weightlifiting knows it starts with nutrition, otherwise, you're basically wasting your time. Weren't there reports of Miami players regularly eating at places like McDonald's in season? That's on the HC for allowing that BS, not the S&C Coach. Its no surprise vast improvements were shown after the addition of a nutritionist.

Secondly, its a matter of recruiting. Teams like Bama aren't taking 190 lb. guys and turning them into 260 lb. monsters, their guys are coming in big. Bama is bringing in guys at LB 225+ from the jump. Miami was small because they recruited small. Miami was bringing in guys like Buchanon and Spence who were 185 lbs. in HS. Although, teams like LSU aren't big either and people rave about their S&C program. Their LB's last year were 210, 212, and 223. They had a DE start at 235, and in past years they've had guys throw up putrid numbers at the combine.

Miami's problem was three-fold. Lack of a nutritionist, poor recruiting, and lazy players...Henderson being a prime example.

Advertisement
The fact that Miami didn't have a nutritionist before this past year would be the major problem. Anyone who knows anything about weightlifiting knows it starts with nutrition, otherwise, you're basically wasting your time. Weren't there reports of Miami players regularly eating at places like McDonald's in season? That's on the HC for allowing that BS, not the S&C Coach. Its no surprise vast improvements were shown after the addition of a nutritionist.

Secondly, its a matter of recruiting. Teams like Bama aren't taking 190 lb. guys and turning them into 260 lb. monsters, their guys are coming in big. Bama is bringing in guys at LB 225+ from the jump. Miami was small because they recruited small. Miami was bringing in guys like Buchanon and Spence who were 185 lbs. in HS. Although, teams like LSU aren't big either and people rave about their S&C program. Their LB's last year were 210, 212, and 223. They had a DE start at 235, and in past years they've had guys throw up putrid numbers at the combine.

Miami's problem was three-fold. Lack of a nutritionist, poor recruiting, and lazy players...Henderson being a prime example.
^^^^^ Hammer meets nail head.

al takes the weight room and conditioning very seriously and has implemented the old PUS program from when he was up there

from doing it when i was in HS.......i know that its no joke

Don't take this the wrong way, but this isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the program.
when i was in HS i played 3 sports and was in great shape

keep in mind that i graduated 16 years ago and i wrestled 215 my senior year of HS

So did leviathen but we know how that movie turned out.

Do you guys believe Golden gave Swasey his workout regimen & said "here ya go Andrew-do X,Y & Z?"(Basically giving Swasey the workout regimen/U-Tough etc) OR Do you think AG said "hey we're fast,but I want these guys bigger & stronger. Get it done." (Swasey designs his own workouts in accordance to what Golden wants)

I was thinking the latter,but really I don't know. Anyone with knowledge of how this stuff works? Say at Bama,OSU or anywhere.Does the S&C guy pretty much do his own thing after a coach gives him his marching orders, or does the coach spell it out for him to the letter?

It sounds like its somewhere in the middle. Golden has standards he wants met for strength, conditioning, but he also wants certain activities done like UTough and combine style conditioning tests.
no

its not in the middle.......its all al's program

link?

It does when you allow your players to get pushed around on the field due too......inadequate S&C. Now I'll let you get back to rambling about how the players motivated "demselves".

How do you allow your players to be pushed around? lmao. What were the s&C numbers from the 2001 team?

here's the thing. I'm having a hard time thinking of a game Miami lost due to inept S&C. I can think of some due to coaching and other aspets of the game.

So you do not agree that the players were getting pushed around, yes or no?

What players?

What the **** team have you been watching for the past few years?

I watched miami rush for 218 per in 2010 and lead the acc in total offense. how do you lead the acc in offense and be weak?

Advertisement

If Miami had better football players circa 2001 the internet geeks wouldn't say a dam thing about S&C. This team sounds like it's stronger than the 2001 group but i bet i know which group i'd take.

If Miami had better football players circa 2001 the internet geeks wouldn't say a dam thing about S&C. This team sounds like it's stronger than the 2001 group but i bet i know which group i'd take.

LOL True

^^^^^ Hammer meets nail head.

Yeah thats what I was getting at earlier. If you get guys who are bigger & stronger to begin with,their weight room numbers are likely to be better.

Anyone who thinks we weren't physically overmatched during the Shannon years just needs to go watch the bowl game against Wisconsin.

Advertisement
Anyone who thinks we weren't physically overmatched during the Shannon years just needs to go watch the bowl game against Wisconsin.

Miami was out coached by whisky that game. Watch the game and you'll see oloivia vernon thow gabe carimi to the side and make a tfl. miami wasn't physically over matched. learn how to watch a dam football game.

and lmao at somebody using one game to symobilze an entire season or era. what about the game that year vs OU? why not use that one? oh cuz miami won lmao

Last edited:
For comparison's sake, does anyone know what other programs with traditionally strong S&C programs like LSU put up in terms of team numbers? 40/10 sounds like a nice goal but what are the teams at the top doing? Teams like LSU just seem like they have 50 kids that can bench 225 20+ times.

According to the CBS sports website, only one LSU player, Ryan Baker, hit 30 reps. He was not drafted. No other LSU player entering the draft had greater than 19 reps, and that was Michael Brockers.

Advertisement
Leadership starts from the top. When the leader slacks, the whole organization slacks. Now that we have an organized leader with a clear vision you see the positive changes occurring. It's a pretty simple concept but something that had been lacking here for 10 years.

Miami was out coached by whisky that game. Watch the game and you'll see oloivia vernon thow gabe carimi to the side and make a tfl. miami wasn't physically over matched. learn how to watch a dam football game.

and lmao at somebody using one game to symobilze an entire season or era. what about the game that year vs OU? why not use that one? oh cuz miami won lmao

So lmao at you using one play to symbolize an entire game.

Where are you guys getting this stuff about Miami not having a nutritionist until the past year?

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/school-bio/mifl-sports-performance.html

Since 2003, Lisa has been the sports nutritionist for the University of Miami athletic department

Now, perhaps they hired someone specifically to work with just the football department, but it seems like we've had someone at that position for 9 years now.

Advertisement

I'd venture to say that sideline heaters for a game where temps were in the 50's in freakin Orlando might symbolize an era

Seantrell is probably never going to be a 30 rep guy. At 6'8" his arms are longer and every rep is actually harder for him to put up than a shorter guy. 20+ is just fine for Seantrell.

The real way to measure the big guy's strength is a one rep max in which he should be able to push up a truck

Dorsett gaining 20 pounds doesnt surprise me. He's had 2 years to do so. 10 pounds a year is solid.

Advertisement
Back