Crown Swasey???

Advertisement
So all you guys that bashed this dude saying fire him and this and that. Was all that just speculation or did you guys have someone behind the scenes tell you what was going on. Not saying anyone in this thread haas bashed him. Just wondering for those who said this guy needed to, was it just speculation because you didn't like the results on th field.

No one here knows anything about swasey. they were just assessing blame b/c miami was losing games. the weight room has nothing to do with losing games due to coaching blunders.

So all you guys that bashed this dude saying fire him and this and that. Was all that just speculation or did you guys have someone behind the scenes tell you what was going on. Not saying anyone in this thread haas bashed him. Just wondering for those who said this guy needed to, was it just speculation because you didn't like the results on th field.

No one here knows anything about swasey. they were just assessing blame b/c miami was losing games. the weight room has nothing to do with losing games due to coaching blunders.

Right on time.

The numbers bear themselves out. Last spring the Canes tested much more poorly than they did this spring. They tested better this year than they have in years.

So yeah, people were mad that UM was losing games, but the proof that the team was weak and easily outmuscled was evident both on the field and in the weight room testing.

Anyway, the next question is, "Did Swasey suddenly learn something about strength & conditioning?" and then, "If Swasey knew so much, why did the team test so poorly in previous years?"

But those questions assume Swasey is the only factor involved in S&C. The article said Miami hired a nutrionist last year, which they did not have before, and they directed poorly performing players to get under his guidance. It also set that Golden set goals for the team to encourage the players to want to workout. Swasey himself said many of those motivational tactics hadn't been used since Butch Davis was here.

So it seems like the real change is that Golden came in and had a plan for what he wanted out of strength & conditioning and implemented it. When people talk about him being organized, its stuff like this. Swasey is good enough at his job to implement that, and I'll give him credit for that.

For comparison's sake, does anyone know what other programs with traditionally strong S&C programs like LSU put up in terms of team numbers? 40/10 sounds like a nice goal but what are the teams at the top doing? Teams like LSU just seem like they have 50 kids that can bench 225 20+ times.

Advertisement
this just confirms what my initial thoughts were on henderson

that like most highly recruited OL in HS.......like bain and wymbs for example.......he only looked so dominant because he was bigger and fatter than the kids he lined up against and was able to use that as leverage

Swasey didn't suddenly get stupid then smart again. This has come from the head coach down. There's a nutritionist finally too. This isn't just about Shannon, it's about Coker too. Henderson should be embarassed by his numbers, but it's amazing how weak, overall, the team was last year.

I wouldn't be so quick to give Golden the credit at Swasey's expense. The guy is not so respected for no reason.I could see AG giving a blueprint/his vision of what he wanted his team to look like & Swasey taking it from there. If not,why would he keep Swasey instead of bringing his own guy in?

Good to hear Dorsett is doing well. Oh & Bunche pushing 36 reps? Sheesh!

Last edited:
Advertisement
If our numbers are up, I'd think the first credit would go to AG for giving Swasey the new system. Obviously a decade of Swasey before AG got here didn't get the job done in S&C.

So all you guys that bashed this dude saying fire him and this and that. Was all that just speculation or did you guys have someone behind the scenes tell you what was going on. Not saying anyone in this thread haas bashed him. Just wondering for those who said this guy needed to, was it just speculation because you didn't like the results on th field.[/QUOTE

Oh alright. I just never saw how you could bash the guy without knowing the full story. Unless you have someone directly linked or apart of the the Miami football program or athletic department I doubt think you would have all the facts.

I wouldn't be so quick to give Golden the credit at Swasey's expense. The guy is not so respected for no reason.I could see AG giving a blueprint/his vision of what he wanted his team to look like & Swasey taking it from there. If not,why would he keep Swasey instead of bringing his own guy in?

Good to hear Dorsett is doing well. Oh & "The Plug" pushing 36 reps? Sheesh!

That's great and all, but why wasn't Swasey getting the job done under Coker & Shannon?

Advertisement
If our numbers are up, I'd think the first credit would go to AG for giving Swasey the new system. Obviously a decade of Swasey before AG got here didn't get the job done in S&C.

It seems Randy was more focused on speed as evidenced by his 190 lb linebackers/smaller defenders. That kind of size (or lack there of) pretty much guarantees the team would not be as strong.Recruiting guys who are bigger & stronger(Duh) + weight room guys to begin with helps immensely.Either way imo, it speaks to Golden's vision >>Randy's & not necessarily Swasey. Or else like I said before-why not bring in your own guy?

al takes the weight room and conditioning very seriously and has implemented the old PUS program from when he was up there

from doing it when i was in HS.......i know that its no joke

Advertisement

It seems Randy was more focused on speed as evidenced by his 190 lb linebackers/smaller defenders. That kind of size (or lack there of) pretty much guarantees the team would not be as strong.Recruiting guys who are bigger & stronger(Duh) + weight room guys to begin with helps immensely.Either way imo, it speaks to Golden's vision >>Randy's & not necessarily Swasey. Or else like I said before-why not bring in your own guy?

That doesn't explain the **** poor strength of our offensive lineman and defensive tackles though.

I think Randy was focused on speed with linebackers and defensive ends, sure, but when it came to an overall strength program I don't think he had a plan. There's a reason Golden brought in a nutritionist. There's a reason he ramped up the offseason conditioning program.

I think Shannon had a vision for what he wanted the program to be, but he didn't have a plan to get it there and he wasn't very organized.

It does when you allow your players to get pushed around on the field due too......inadequate S&C. Now I'll let you get back to rambling about how the players motivated "demselves".

Good to hear Dorsett is doing well. Oh & "The Plug" pushing 36 reps? Sheesh!

That's great and all, but why wasn't Swasey getting the job done under Coker & Shannon?

what makes you think he wasn't getting the job done? What does all this means if Miami only wins 6 game again? Sean Taylor did what? 13 reps at the combine but Kacey Rodgers can do 20+ reps?

Which player would you take?

just lookin at this from a different angle

That doesn't explain the **** poor strength of our offensive lineman and defensive tackles though.

I think Randy was focused on speed with linebackers and defensive ends, sure, but when it came to an overall strength program I don't think he had a plan. There's a reason Golden brought in a nutritionist. There's a reason he ramped up the offseason conditioning program.

I think Shannon had a vision for what he wanted the program to be,but he didn't have a plan to get it there and he wasn't very organized.

Can't really argue with that

Advertisement
Back