MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Notre Dame has no incentive to join a conference. They have their own media deal, and don’t need the affiliation for their football program. They’ll stay independent as long as they can, it’s a huge point of pride with their donors.

They can’t get a bye in the playoffs, which is a big deal. Teams with byes will have a big advantage.

Advertisement
I mostly agree.

I pick and choose which Tweets to read. Few are entertaining. Far less are informative. But, I don’t mind when others post the tweets as it’s up to me if I want to read them or simply ignore and move on to the next post. It’s not incessant.
Touche, you are not wrong. I am sure some of my agitation with genetics is from when he woke up one morning and seemingly became a "Miami is getting left behind" guy lol. Just so many chest thumpers on realignment and they only seem to multiply and get louder as the months and years go by on this issue.

They can’t get a bye in the playoffs, which is a big deal. Teams with byes will have a big advantage.
It’s a trade off they’re willing to make. The 5+7 model basically ensures that if they’re in the Top 10, they’re in the playoffs. Also, it’s fair considering that they’d have the equivalent of a two week bye if they didn’t have to play a conference championship or a first round playoff game.

I am of the belief that it would take a Herculean effort to get ND into a conference. As things stand, they have no incentive to make the move.

Advertisement
It’s a trade off they’re willing to make. The 5+7 model basically ensures that if they’re in the Top 10, they’re in the playoffs. Also, it’s fair considering that they’d have the equivalent of a two week bye if they didn’t have to play a conference championship or a first round playoff game.

I am of the belief that it would take a Herculean effort to get ND into a conference. As things stand, they have no incentive to make the move.
The big advantage that ND has is a). Both conferences will be happy to schedule ND for OOC games as they draw and b). ND can join either conference whenever they deem it convenient.

It would become a free for all, absolutely chaos….

I’d rather be the one that started it and is home free, than the one scrambling in the background as a result. Just my opinion.
I can see that, but I can also see letting someone else spend all the up front resources to make it happen.

Advertisement
I can see that, but I can also see letting someone else spend all the up front resources to make it happen.
Sure, I know that’s been the common theme recently…and it absolutely might work out in our favor.

But I’d be lying if I said I was totally confident in that plan. When you’re reactionary, there’s nothing guaranteed.

Sometimes, you have to spend money to make money. That’s what FSU and Clemson are attempting to do as trailblazers in this ACC GoR battle. Spend some on lawsuits, make a boatload in the long term when they’re in one of the Big 2.

Let’s hope the original mindset of having these two do the dirty work while we skate free occurs.

Even though Genetics is a clown, if he’s somehow right about FSU getting to walk for free…man this thread will turn into Armageddon with some HoF posts to bump.

Complacency is the enemy of growth.
He only tweets FSU information regarding their law suit and exit that he gets from Warchant. The latest Warchant “update” posted by the guy that started that thread is “the FSU BOT chair now knows the final destination, the exit cost and the date we will announce”. Nobody expects them to get out with no payment- just debate on what the amount might be.

Sure, I know that’s been the common theme recently…and it absolutely might work out in our favor.

But I’d be lying if I said I was totally confident in that plan. When you’re reactionary, there’s nothing guaranteed.

Sometimes, you have to spend money to make money. That’s what FSU and Clemson are attempting to do as trailblazers in this ACC GoR battle. Spend some on lawsuits, make a boatload in the long term when they’re in one of the Big 2.

Let’s hope the original mindset of having these two do the dirty work while we skate free occurs.
Agree ... one major concern is that an exit is negotiated for FSU / Clemson and at the same time a revised media deal for the ACC that has a revised GOR that locks us in more effectively than the current "non iron clad one".

Agree ... one major concern is that an exit is negotiated for FSU / Clemson and at the same time a revised media deal for the ACC that has a revised GOR that locks us in more effectively than the current "non iron clad one".
Seems under that scenario some of the other schools would not sign or go to court as well.

Advertisement
Why?

It’s a message board.
It’s the off-season & there’s not much to discuss.
There is nothing to report concerning our efforts to leave the ACC.
He might be full of cheet but it’s entertaining.
See #1 above.
I have seen way worse in pure football threads. The Simon Barrow thread is a disgrace, and moderators look to be getting paid by replies..

Advertisement
Wow. In that scenario it seems that Miami really dropped the ball.
"All major media modifications require 2/3rds vote" ... or words to that effect. I believe the composition clause CAN BE enacted by ESPN if either 2 members leave OR the membership drops below 15 schools. If FSU left effective late June ... THEORETICALLY ESPN could enact the composition clause and re-do the media agreement. Approval would require 2/3rds vote. SMU becomes a member effective July 1 and Cal / Stan effective August 1. Would potentially be best if FSU goes to the B10, against ESPN desires, and Clemson / UNC end up in the SEC, with Miami then as #20 to the B10. Nothing clear but questions at this point.

A consistently good Miami team would be right there with FSU. The viewing numbers when Miami has a good season vs when FSU has a good season are the same.

If you look at 2016 when FSU went 10-3:
Orange Bowl vs. Michigan: 11.4M
vs UF: 6.4M
vs Clemson: 5.3M
vs Louisville: 6.2M (Opening Weekend)

Miami in 2017:
Orange Bowl vs. Wisconsin: 11.7M
vs Notre Dame: 6.7M
vs Clemson: 5.4M (ACCCG)
And then LSU in 2018 Opening Weekend: 6.5M

They're the same numbers, if not better for Miami. I would honestly bet a Miami team on equal footing with FSU would get higher viewership.

A consistently good Miami team would be right there with FSU. The viewing numbers when Miami has a good season vs when FSU has a good season are the same.

If you look at 2016 when FSU went 10-3:
Orange Bowl vs. Michigan: 11.4M
vs UF: 6.4M
vs Clemson: 5.3M
vs Louisville: 6.2M (Opening Weekend)

Miami in 2017:
Orange Bowl vs. Wisconsin: 11.7M
vs Notre Dame: 6.7M
vs Clemson: 5.4M (ACCCG)
And then LSU in 2018 Opening Weekend: 6.5M

They're the same numbers, if not better for Miami. I would honestly bet a Miami team on equal footing with FSU would get higher viewership.
Problem is ... reality. In the past 20 years Miami has ONE 10 win season and FSU has TEN. Hence Miami is a lower priority target.

Problem is ... reality. In the past 20 years Miami has ONE 10 win season and FSU has TEN. Hence Miami is a lower priority target.

I get that but if you're a decision maker in the BIG10 I think you have to look at future projections. With the amount of money Miami is investing is pretty clear the results will be different.

If I was the BIG10 I would make certain Miami is committed to investing into the future and then bring them on at a lower share for the near future. You get the massive upside if Mario hits and guard against the downside with a reduced share.

But here is the bigger reason why adding Miami, I think, is a smart move in this environment. They have the most upside out of any team in all of college football. If you're trying to add eyeballs, you're not doing that with the Ohio State's and Michigan's of the world. They're already fully mature and grown as much as they can grow. You get a lot of people to watch those games but you're not going to get more. Miami is a high potential growth team. They will add eyeballs in a way that very, very few teams can. It's a different product and that's important. They can draw different audiences than what you're used to in college football. That's why I think all these people who dismiss Miami are crazy. Miami has the potential to be an absolute monster because they aren't a prototypical program. And yea, they haven't been good the past 20 years, but that's the gamble and you have to structure it accordingly.

I know I'm a fan, but I don't know how you pass up Miami in your conference. They're like a tech stock. Volatile, but if they start going it's going to be an insane ride.

Advertisement
Back