MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

A $500 million dollar economic impact on the Charlotte metro area would certainly drive legislative moves to try and protect it.
missed this earlier, yes exactly. North Carolina government will do all they can to keep NC schools together in any version of the ACC

Advertisement
He clarified that one is a private ivy-wannabe, he thought they were public at first. I think that's Miami.

UNC gets left out as the big surprise, there are going to be too many road blocks from the North Carolina legislature and keeping the ACC in tact with Tobacco Road teams together means so much to the state financially. They lose all of that if UNC leaves.
People have previously styled us as the “Harvard of the South,” though I believe it’s unwarranted based off of current rankings and Frenk’s tenure. UVA definitely views itself as a public Ivy. Many alumni say the same thing (I’m a UVA alum, though I don’t call it a public Ivy).

Either way, in that “narrative” we’re pretty obviously the wannabe Ivy.

This is spaghetti against the wall.

I think ACC can/will settle to let FSU/Clemson go, but I don’t see them not putting up a fight to let 4 teams leave.

Just not seeing it.

Notre Dame has no incentive to join a conference. They have their own media deal, and don’t need the affiliation for their football program. They’ll stay independent as long as they can, it’s a huge point of pride with their donors.

Exactly. And I highly doubt Duke is in the top 10 of the pecking order.

It's easy to comprehend that someone may have mistaken Miami's private-school nature. We are "The University of a geographic location", which tends to be the naming convention of state schools.

1717607341573.png

Advertisement
People have previously styled us as the “Harvard of the South,” though I believe it’s unwarranted based off of current rankings and Frenk’s tenure. UVA definitely views itself as a public Ivy. Many alumni say the same thing (I’m a UVA alum, though I don’t call it a public Ivy).

Either way, in that “narrative” we’re pretty obviously the wannabe Ivy.
UVA in many ways is superior to several, if not most, "Ivies".

Can you tell us how many secret societies you belong to?

Gorgeous campus btw.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Societies? I don’t know what you’re talking about…

UVa has a WEALTH of secret societies.

1717613485404.png

1717613569669.png

Also:

A.N.G.E.L.S. Society
Egala Society
Eli Banana Society
IMP Society
Lantern Society
Muse Society
Order of Claw & Dagger
O.W.L. Society
Promethean Society
P.U.M.P.K.I.N. Society
The Raven Society
Rotunda Burning Society
Society of P.R.I.
Society of Purple Shadows
Society of the Dawn
Sons and Daughters of Liberty
The 13 Society
Thursdays Society
T.I.L.K.A. Society
The 21 Society

View attachment 291047

View attachment 291048

Also:

A.N.G.E.L.S. Society
Egala Society
Eli Banana Society
IMP Society
Lantern Society
Muse Society
Order of Claw & Dagger
O.W.L. Society
Promethean Society
P.U.M.P.K.I.N. Society
The Raven Society
Rotunda Burning Society
Society of P.R.I.
Society of the Dawn
The 13 Society
Thursdays Society
T.I.L.K.A. Society
The 21 Society
Evil Eye Lightning GIF by Jeremy Christensen

Advertisement

He's not wrong.

I think the biggest fear-factor involves getting an antitrust exemption. I believe that the NCAA (and the various university Presidents and ADs) were afraid that if the NCAA just dissolved without paying its debts, and then a new organization arose to fill the voice, that Congress would be unwilling to grant the new entity an antitrust exemption.

Whether that is ENOUGH of a reason to keep the NCAA limping along...is a decision for other people to make, I guess.

But Moglia is not wrong.

He's not wrong.

I think the biggest fear-factor involves getting an antitrust exemption. I believe that the NCAA (and the various university Presidents and ADs) were afraid that if the NCAA just dissolved without paying its debts, and then a new organization arose to fill the voice, that Congress would be unwilling to grant the new entity an antitrust exemption.

Whether that is ENOUGH of a reason to keep the NCAA limping along...is a decision for other people to make, I guess.

But Moglia is not wrong.
I’m not sure if this flies, but the NCAA is basically comprised of all their member institutions so if they dissolve the organization wouldn’t the lawsuit just trickle down and they could go after all the schools individually. Might be even worse.

View attachment 291047

View attachment 291048

Also:

A.N.G.E.L.S. Society
Egala Society
Eli Banana Society
IMP Society
Lantern Society
Muse Society
Order of Claw & Dagger
O.W.L. Society
Promethean Society
P.U.M.P.K.I.N. Society
The Raven Society
Rotunda Burning Society
Society of P.R.I.
Society of the Dawn
The 13 Society
Thursdays Society
T.I.L.K.A. Society
The 21 Society
That they do. I can say from personal experience that the purple shadows are dorks.

Advertisement
Back