MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I believe they are OUT of the ACC for the 2025 season for sure. I believe they do have a B10 offer and will be there UNLESS ESPN / SEC made them an offer they can't refuse at the last minute. Will be interesting to see if there are any confirmations voiced in the upcoming FSU BOT meeting scheduled on June 20.

Explain what a "can't refuse" offer from ESPN/SEC would include?

And what does the current B10/FOX offer include that makes it preferable?

Advertisement

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think he was referring to money/annual revenue/bidding war. The SEC will make a comparable offer to FSU. Having the B1G come down to the state of Florida and scoop up FSU and Miami would threaten the SEC's grip on Florida recruiting and revenue from multiple major media markets in the state.

Last edited:

Lot of FSU fans prefer the Big 10 ... combination of national brand exposure, aggressive TV contract, an potential exposure to added Federal Research Funding are all positives since FSU is going hard after AAU status and investing in new medical research activities. Also a belief that FOX is willing to assist in financing some of the exit costs.

There has been smoke that ESPN would prefer to keep FSU "in house" in the SEC and since ESPN has the current media rights they could potentially structure a "transfer" from the ACC to the SEC with minimal or no cost to FSU, even to the extent of ESPN absorbing whatever "ACC exit fee" is finally negotiated (again the belief that the stated $130 M fee is exorbitant and will be negotiated down).

So you could have one scenario, FSU headed to the B10 and having to pay maybe $100M in an exit fee to the ACC, no GOR as the position of both Clemson and FSU is that the GOR only covers schools while they ARE ACC MEMBERS, period. Second scenario is FSU to the SEC negotiated by ESPN and NO out-of-pocket cost to FSU.

A 3rd scenario has also been put forth ... FSU to the B10 and ESPN maintains broadcast rights for several years ... and pays the B10 / FSU similar to the ACC rate. Only thing that appears to be clear is that actual negotiations have been going on. Waiting to see what is announced and how much of what went on behind the scenes will be made public. And to see how the announcement / settlement (if there is one) impacts the court cases.

Lot of FSU fans prefer the Big 10 ... combination of national brand exposure, aggressive TV contract, an potential exposure to added Federal Research Funding are all positives since FSU is going hard after AAU status and investing in new medical research activities. Also a belief that FOX is willing to assist in financing some of the exit costs.

There has been smoke that ESPN would prefer to keep FSU "in house" in the SEC and since ESPN has the current media rights they could potentially structure a "transfer" from the ACC to the SEC with minimal or no cost to FSU, even to the extent of ESPN absorbing whatever "ACC exit fee" is finally negotiated (again the belief that the stated $130 M fee is exorbitant and will be negotiated down).

So you could have one scenario, FSU headed to the B10 and having to pay maybe $100M in an exit fee to the ACC, no GOR as the position of both Clemson and FSU is that the GOR only covers schools while they ARE ACC MEMBERS, period. Second scenario is FSU to the SEC negotiated by ESPN and NO out-of-pocket cost to FSU.

A 3rd scenario has also been put forth ... FSU to the B10 and ESPN maintains broadcast rights for several years ... and pays the B10 / FSU similar to the ACC rate. Only thing that appears to be clear is that actual negotiations have been going on. Waiting to see what is announced and how much of what went on behind the scenes will be made public. And to see how the announcement / settlement (if there is one) impacts the court cases.

This thread was so much more fun when we were a stone cold lock for the B1G

Advertisement
The real question to be answered is how many teams do the B1G and SEC want for the super conference. The B1G currently has 18 and the SEC has 16. So if the Super League is going to consist of 40 teams there are 6 potential openings. FSU, Clemson, ND, UNC, UVA, and……..(the U, Vtech, NCSt, GT)?

If the super league is 42, 44, or 48, everyone above is happy and one other school wins the lotto. But what no one mentions is what if the magic number is 32! Vandy, Indiana, NW, all could-be pushed out.

When you look at numbers, I can only conclude that we need to win big NOW. Make it impossible for the Super League to ignore the defending national champion, runner up………

The real question to be answered is how many teams do the B1G and SEC want for the super conference. The B1G currently has 18 and the SEC has 16. So if the Super League is going to consist of 40 teams there are 6 potential openings. FSU, Clemson, ND, UNC, UVA, and……..(the U, Vtech, NCSt, GT)?

If the super league is 42, 44, or 48, everyone above is happy and one other school wins the lotto. But what no one mentions is what if the magic number is 32! Vandy, Indiana, NW, all could-be pushed out.

When you look at numbers, I can only conclude that we need to win big NOW. Make it impossible for the Super League to ignore the defending national champion, runner up………
Believe it will be 20 teams max for each ... for awhile. Heck, each might just add 2 teams each for the time being until their next media contract is up in 2030. 2022 and 2023 didn't help our situation. Long term ... "super league" Miami will be in it ... but short term is the question.

Rickd, you have a lot of interest in the realignment saga.

Forget what FSU message board morons believe.

Do YOU think the Noles are going to the Big Ten?
Stand down Rickd my friend...

NOT

GOING

TO

HAPPEN*

*Your mileage may vary, I was certain George Michael was straight, so my judgment is obviously sus

Some of the schools in the current B1G and SEC won't be in the super conference/league.

Advertisement
This thread was so much more fun when we were a stone cold lock for the B1G

Comedy Sketch GIF by NETFLIX

Advertisement
Advertisement
“Two public ivies” = UNC & UVA
"Two travel south"=Clemson & FSU

"One left behind that shocks me”

This Is Bad Uh Oh GIF by Amazon Prime Video
He changed that to "One public ivey and one private ivey wannabe" (could be Miami).

-UNC & Miami to the B10
-FSU & Clemson to the SEC

All riddles ... everybody is guessing. Only thing clear is something is going to happen soon.

Advertisement
Back