MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
We’ve sucked for 20 years+

Just because we looked like a Miss Universe 20-30 years ago doesn’t mean we will get asked to the dance now that we’ve grown old and fat…..we need to show we’re losing weight and becoming attractive again.

There's no need to be so negative.

We won FIVE in the modern era. These are not cheap "white-boy-only" national championships like Army and Yale have.

Last championship for Miami was 2001. Everyone else:

Notre Dame - 1988
North Carolina - never
Virginia - never
UCLA - 1954
Texas - 2005
USC - 2004
Washington - 1991
Oregon - never
Oklahoma - 2000
F$U - 2013

Besides Clemson and F$U, ever OTHER "most recent national championship" is pushing 20 years OR MUCH MORE.

So I'm not going to sit here and ONLY apply "we've sucked for 20 years" to Miami, and give all the other recent expansion candidates a pass.

The big advantage that ND has is a). Both conferences will be happy to schedule ND for OOC games as they draw and b). ND can join either conference whenever they deem it convenient.
It will be the B1G not because of the connections to those member schools but because of NBC

There's no need to be so negative.

We won FIVE in the modern era. These are not cheap "white-boy-only" national championships like Army and Yale have.

Last championship for Miami was 2001. Everyone else:

Notre Dame - 1988
North Carolina - never
Virginia - never
UCLA - 1954
Texas - 2005
USC - 2004
Washington - 1991
Oregon - never
Oklahoma - 2000
F$U - 2013

Besides Clemson and F$U, ever OTHER "most recent national championship" is pushing 20 years OR MUCH MORE.

So I'm not going to sit here and ONLY apply "we've sucked for 20 years" to Miami, and give all the other recent expansion candidates a pass.
Miami is on the "expansion candidate list" ... but just not at the top. Becomes an issue in the short term when conferences look at a variety of criteria for the NEXT additions. B10 ... new state ... just need one school and you have it and the associated carriage fees. If the B10 is just adding two more until their next media contract in 2030 ... that could be a problem. If the ACC implodes and both P2 go to 24 immediately, not an issue.

Advertisement

2017 ND vs Miami ratings as a friendly reminder what the ratings can be like during a season in which they had a 10 win season.

Conferences, ESPN and Fox have to be looking at the big picture. They know Miami is invested and spending $. They know Mario built up Oregon and they know what Miami can and should be with investment. Simple projections can and should be made by conferences and networks to decide which programs to invite. With more investment comes more winning and viewership ratings.

A consistently good Miami team would be right there with FSU. The viewing numbers when Miami has a good season vs when FSU has a good season are the same.

If you look at 2016 when FSU went 10-3:
Orange Bowl vs. Michigan: 11.4M
vs UF: 6.4M
vs Clemson: 5.3M
vs Louisville: 6.2M (Opening Weekend)

Miami in 2017:
Orange Bowl vs. Wisconsin: 11.7M
vs Notre Dame: 6.7M
vs Clemson: 5.4M (ACCCG)
And then LSU in 2018 Opening Weekend: 6.5M

They're the same numbers, if not better for Miami. I would honestly bet a Miami team on equal footing with FSU would get higher viewership.
Well I should not have posted what I did if I had read deeper into the thread.

We have won 12.2% of the last 41 national championships.

We **** well deserve this, no matter what our 2024 record is.
If you combine this, our one 10 win season ratings, the current investment in the program and the knowledge that Mario built up Oregon then the networks/conferences would be crazy not to want Miami. Projections also need to be made and Miami should have considerations about projecting the long term future over Clemson, AAU status and being a better academic institution than Clemson as well. I have never had Clemson projected to the B1G.

Advertisement
Miami is on the "expansion candidate list" ... but just not at the top. Becomes an issue in the short term when conferences look at a variety of criteria for the NEXT additions. B10 ... new state ... just need one school and you have it and the associated carriage fees. If the B10 is just adding two more until their next media contract in 2030 ... that could be a problem. If the ACC implodes and both P2 go to 24 immediately, not an issue.
Rickd, remember now, this is a Hurricanes board. This isn’t Whorechant. Stop parroting everything that is said on that site. It does not make you an expert to regurgitate the opinions of a bunch of semenholes. We are the U. With the exception of Notre Dame, nobody in college football commands attention like us when we are on top. Honestly, whether we get there or not, that potential has a lot of value. Any “expert” down playing Miami in this is foolish. That’s with or without my orange and green glasses on. We are the U. Respect that.

Rickd, remember now, this is a Hurricanes board. This isn’t Whorechant. Stop parroting everything that is said on that site. It does not make you an expert to regurgitate the opinions of a bunch of semenholes. We are the U. With the exception of Notre Dame, nobody in college football commands attention like us when we are on top. Honestly, whether we get there or not, that potential has a lot of value. Any “expert” down playing Miami in this is foolish. That’s with or without my orange and green glasses on. We are the U. Respect that.

I don’t see a reason why any of these conferences wouldn’t try as hard as they can to get the Miami FSU rivalry.

So which conference would benefit more from it?

I don’t see a reason why any of these conferences wouldn’t try as hard as they can to get the Miami FSU rivalry.

So which conference would benefit more from it?

Big Ten IMO. With FSU, Clemson and UNC likely leaving it ends up being a game of musical chairs for us. We don’t get that seat, we end up the first loser. That’s a tough pill to swallow.

Advertisement

Again, not the issue I was raising. I was just pointing out how people constantly mope about Miami's "past 20 years" without acknowledging that the past 20 years have been dominated by a few teams, and that all of the other "desirable" candidates are in the same position as we are (no championships for 20 years).

I understand the attributes that others are touting. And we need to be louder and prouder about OUR attributes.

The Gator hasn't won a title since 2008, but their fans will tell you how they are a college football blueblood. We don't have to be delusional, but we could use a bit more Miami pride around here, and fewer Mope Squad reminders about "the last 20 years".

Again, not the issue I was raising. I was just pointing out how people constantly mope about Miami's "past 20 years" without acknowledging that the past 20 years have been dominated by a few teams, and that all of the other "desirable" candidates are in the same position as we are (no championships for 20 years).

I understand the attributes that others are touting. And we need to be louder and prouder about OUR attributes.

The Gator hasn't won a title since 2008, but their fans will tell you how they are a college football blueblood. We don't have to be delusional, but we could use a bit more Miami pride around here, and fewer Mope Squad reminders about "the last 20 years".

It’s one of the things helping us for sure. The people making these decisions are older and they have a 30+ year view of things. Strategically it has to help us if the courts slow things down and we put a good team on the field this fall. It reinforces those long views on the value of UM to CFB over the next 30.

Quite honestly, I think @Rickd is correct. We've known we're not at the top of the list and I don't think it's negative to point that out.

The question is if/how we can move up in that pecking order. When I look at the Big 10, I see us over Clemson because of academics, AAU and research. I also see us over UNC because of the drama with NC ST and the entire state government/ university system debacle. Also, the rivalries we could renew that would draw plenty of eyes. There is nothing we can do to gain consideration in the SEC. Even our pedigree doesn't help there.

Our best strategy is to keep positive news going out and win.

Advertisement
Quite honestly, I think @Rickd is correct. We've known we're not at the top of the list and I don't think it's negative to point that out.

The question is if/how we can move up in that pecking order. When I look at the Big 10, I see us over Clemson because of academics, AAU and research. I also see us over UNC because of the drama with NC ST and the entire state government/ university system debacle. Also, the rivalries we could renew that would draw plenty of eyes. There is nothing we can do to gain consideration in the SEC. Even our pedigree doesn't help there.

Our best strategy is to keep positive news going out and win.
Hmmmm

But then all the confidence here would be based on very little....

Ah, nothing in the post you quoted was parroted from anywhere. Just a simply view of the current realignment status. So far Radakovich has stated that the ACC is wonderful, while 3 other schools have openly voiced displeasure, with two filing suit to get out.

Hmmmm

But then all the confidence here would be based on very little....
Miami IS destined to be part of the P2 ... but now the question is WHEN? Two years ago when the topic of the B10 establishing a "southern tier" was first floated publicly, before the Pac 12 imploded and OR / WA begged in for half shares, the "public word" that was being discussed was the B10 adding FOUR ACC programs, with the goal of adding OR / WA around 2030. The implosion the PAC 12 and the bargain basement grab of OR / WA changed that scenario.

In a situation were 4 ACC programs were going to be added to the B10, and most likely 2 to the SEC, there were "homes" theoretically for the top 6 most desirable ACC programs. "Desirable" doesn't necessarily mean "best football", as the SEC apparently wants UNC / UVA for geographic consolidation reasons. In that scenario it was generally perceived that FSU, Clemson, Miami, and one other, in that order, were desired by the B10. The B10 also "apparently" values UNC ahead of Miami for a variety of non football reasons. BUT ... prior to the OR /WA early addition to the B10 ... there was always a spot for Miami with 4 going to the B10 in the 'initial realignment move'. Now, with possibly only two slots FOR THE TIME BEING ... things might have changed. (That evaluation does not contain ONE comment "parroted" from Warchant).

Advertisement
Back