MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

It’s on the west side (Gulf of Mexico) and just a little further south than Orlando is. I guess technically you could consider the Gulf of Mexico part of the Atlantic and say USF should be an ACC school. Calling themselves the University of South Florida is a bit weird though as they are definitely NOT south Florida in any sense of the term.
My bad. I was thinking it was north of Fort Lauderdale. Thanks for not shaming me lol.

Advertisement
It seems likely FSU will negotiate a release from the ACC, when that happens who knows. It is easy to see it being sooner than later. That would have very little impact on what Notre Dame does. It would create some other moves by schools and conferences.

It seems likely FSU will negotiate a release from the ACC, when that happens who knows. It is easy to see it being sooner than later. That would have very little impact on what Notre Dame does. It would create some other moves by schools and conferences.
dXiqK1HQbl2s4ofwmT.gif

My bad. I was thinking it was north of Fort Lauderdale. Thanks for not shaming me lol.

Don't feel bad my man

Born and raised (and, Lord willing, gonna die) in North Florida.

I was a diehard Canes fan by the time I was 10, but still couldn't have found Miami on a map. Probably thought it was some little town between Lake City and Valdosta, GA 😆

Advertisement
I'm not from Florida but isn't Tampa either east or central Florida? It's like calling Monterey part of Southern California.

Tampa is on the west coast of Florida. Going from west to east on I-4, you go from Tampa/Clearwater/St. Petersburg over to Orlando and then to Daytona Beach.

So when you think of the I-4 and I-75 corridors where TONS of Big 10 alums live, you have the #2, #3, #5, #6, #7, and #8 metropolitan areas in Florida. Dade-Broward-Palm Beach is still the dominant MSA, but those six MSAs are 6 of the top 10 in Florida and 6 of the top 90 in the US.

Size of schools doesn't necessarily equate to viewership. This is 2023 "average TV viewers per game":

#7. FSU 3.58 million
#16. U of Florida 2.12 million
#22. Clemson 1.7 million
#32. Miami 1.33 million
#69. USF .463 (four hundred sixty three thousand)

No way that FOX has USF on their short list.
And Clemsons is about to drop like a stone since Dabo refuses to keep up with the times. That and Newspring church is no longer funneling money to Clemson players

Advertisement
Advertisement
And to me, crazy they jumped right into FCS.

UWF is DII, has there been a school that jumped to FBS from DII??

Are you talking "directly" from Division II to Division I-A?

UCF went from Division III (1979-81) to Division II (1982-89) to Division I-AA (1990-1995) to Division I-A (1996-present), the first school to play in all of the levels.

Advertisement
Good Question, unfortunately I have no idea.
Kavanagh and university president Mike Martin have been blunt – football just isn’t feasible for the Eagles.

“It is very unlikely Florida Gulf Coast University will ever play intercollegiate football for several reasons,” Martin said.

The biggest reason is financial.

A 2010 study commissioned by the school found it would cost around $100 million for FGCU to add football, half of which would be for building a stadium. However, the facility would have to be off campus because FGCU has limited land and much of it is environmentally protected.

Kavanagh and university president Mike Martin have been blunt – football just isn’t feasible for the Eagles.

“It is very unlikely Florida Gulf Coast University will ever play intercollegiate football for several reasons,” Martin said.

The biggest reason is financial.

A 2010 study commissioned by the school found it would cost around $100 million for FGCU to add football, half of which would be for building a stadium. However, the facility would have to be off campus because FGCU has limited land and much of it is environmentally protected.

Its Going Down GIF by Philips Norelco

Why even have a college in Florida if you're not gonna have a football team?

Advertisement
Back