MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Its Going Down GIF by Philips Norelco

Why even have a college in Florida if you're not gonna have a football team?

No doubt. Even Ave Maria has a team!!

Advertisement
I don't believe ND is "invested" in the ACC. It was a compromise of convenience when THEY needed it. If FSU leaves the ACC it becomes a dramatically weaker conference and I do believe ND will bail preferring to have their other sports all playing in the Big 10 ... same neighborhood geographically "for the most part". It didn't cost them anything to help Cal / Stan get picked up.
ND doesn't give a **** about FSU leaving. They have a sweetheart deal with football separate and all other sports ND is just fine being in the ACC.

ND doesn't give a **** about FSU leaving. They have a sweetheart deal with football separate and all other sports ND is just fine being in the ACC.
You really believe ND's media partner is happy about having a 5 game commitment to a conference that very soon won't have either FSU or Clemson? You're naive. They will be able to get a similar deal with the Big 10 and have games that will attract millions more viewers.

You really believe ND's media partner is happy about having a 5 game commitment to a conference that very soon won't have either FSU or Clemson? You're naive. They will be able to get a similar deal with the Big 10 and have games that will attract millions more viewers.

Uh, yeah.

2025 - no F$U, no Clemson on schedule
2026 - AT F$U on schedule
2027 - AT Clemson
2028 - CLEMSON HOME GAME
2029 - AT F$U
2030 - F$U HOME GAME
2031 - AT Clemson
2032 - F$U HOME GAME
2033 - no F$U, no Clemson on schedule
2034 - CLEMSON HOME GAME
2035 - no F$U, no Clemson on schedule
2036 - F$U HOME GAME
2037 - AT Clemson

Soooo...NBC would lose FIVE broadcast games over the next 13 years.

Advertisement
You have a definitive opinion on every comment in this thread yet have absolutely zero background/basis for having these opinions and I'm the naïve one?

ND will have plenty of quality teams to play even if FSU and Clemson leave. They've played FSU or Clemson once per season the last 10 years .... you think they will have trouble replacing one game per season?

ND will remain independent in football until they absolutely can't any longer and in the meantime all non-football sports are aligned in the ACC.

Uh, yeah.

2025 - no F$U, no Clemson on schedule
2026 - AT F$U on schedule
2027 - AT Clemson
2028 - CLEMSON HOME GAME
2029 - AT F$U
2030 - F$U HOME GAME
2031 - AT Clemson
2032 - F$U HOME GAME
2033 - no F$U, no Clemson on schedule
2034 - CLEMSON HOME GAME
2035 - no F$U, no Clemson on schedule
2036 - F$U HOME GAME
2037 - AT Clemson

Soooo...NBC would lose FIVE broadcast games over the next 13 years.
AND they can also upgrade from their other ACC games ... instead of playing Syracuse, Pitt, NC State, UVA, Wake Forest, BC (although the 2 Catholic schools has fans), they can be scheduling Big 10 teams and SEC. All the media partners are into "optimizing" air time. I don't see ND remaining in the ACC if FSU and Clemson bail. It has also been mentioned that they do have a "look in right" in the case of any change of teams in the conference (sort of a composition clause) that will enable them to leave with minimal cost, if any, in the event FSU / Clemson do leave.

There is also smoke from comments by the "realignment" thread originator on Warchant that the month of June is the month that things get shook up. He started that thread in October, 2022, and in his first post he stated that the CFP negotiations were going to be a major catalyst in
the conference realignment. His comment today was that the composition clause could end up being a huge issue unless the ACC settles in short order. He also stated that "it is possible for ESPN to negotiate a deal that allows them to retain certain media rights to ACC teams joining the Big 10". He has been a pretty reliable barometer of the FSU / ACC situation. Will be interesting to see WHAT takes place this month.

Unrelated, was also interesting to see the UF AD's comments regarding FSU supposedly being "blocked" from joining due to them. "We have a great relationship with our friends from Tallahassee, and as far as SEC expansion, it just takes a 2/3 member vote to approve a new member so there is no boycott of anybody by UF" (or words to that effect).

You have a definitive opinion on every comment in this thread yet have absolutely zero background/basis for having these opinions and I'm the naïve one?

ND will have plenty of quality teams to play even if FSU and Clemson leave. They've played FSU or Clemson once per season the last 10 years .... you think they will have trouble replacing one game per season?

ND will remain independent in football until they absolutely can't any longer and in the meantime all non-football sports are aligned in the ACC.
Sure they will remain independent ... but they can also be aligned with the conference they would most likely end up joining further down the road. A conference with teams that draw more viewers, get better TV slots, and can pay more $$$ for their games than the ACC. It's all about eyeballs and $$$ at the end of the day ... and the ACC is way behind on both of those aspects of major college football.

Advertisement

I believe several ND sports are aligned with B1G already, the others with ACC.

Yes? No?

AND they can also upgrade from their other ACC games ... instead of playing Syracuse, Pitt, NC State, UVA, Wake Forest, BC (although the 2 Catholic schools has fans), they can be scheduling Big 10 teams and SEC. All the media partners are into "optimizing" air time. I don't see ND remaining in the ACC if FSU and Clemson bail. It has also been mentioned that they do have a "look in right" in the case of any change of teams in the conference (sort of a composition clause) that will enable them to leave with minimal cost, if any, in the event FSU / Clemson do leave.

There is also smoke from comments by the "realignment" thread originator on Warchant that the month of June is the month that things get shook up. He started that thread in October, 2022, and in his first post he stated that the CFP negotiations were going to be a major catalyst in
the conference realignment. His comment today was that the composition clause could end up being a huge issue unless the ACC settles in short order. He also stated that "it is possible for ESPN to negotiate a deal that allows them to retain certain media rights to ACC teams joining the Big 10". He has been a pretty reliable barometer of the FSU / ACC situation. Will be interesting to see WHAT takes place this month.

Unrelated, was also interesting to see the UF AD's comments regarding FSU supposedly being "blocked" from joining due to them. "We have a great relationship with our friends from Tallahassee, and as far as SEC expansion, it just takes a 2/3 member vote to approve a new member so there is no boycott of anybody by UF" (or words to that effect).

Look, you started off your comments by talking about ND's "media partner" (which is NBC), and I just pointed out that NBC has the rights to broadcast only 5 ND-F$U/ND-Clemson games over the next 13 years.

Now, the "instead of" argument is relevant whether F$U/Clemson are still in the ACC or have gone elsewhere. I never said that Syracuse/Wake were desirable games. Same level as Minnesota/Northwestern.

There is no ND look-in right. In fact, if ND joins a conference, it has to be the ACC. Now, ND can violate that clause, and maybe they will, but there will be a price to pay for that breach.

Advertisement
Look, you started off your comments by talking about ND's "media partner" (which is NBC), and I just pointed out that NBC has the rights to broadcast only 5 ND-F$U/ND-Clemson games over the next 13 years.

Now, the "instead of" argument is relevant whether F$U/Clemson are still in the ACC or have gone elsewhere. I never said that Syracuse/Wake were desirable games. Same level as Minnesota/Northwestern.

There is no ND look-in right. In fact, if ND joins a conference, it has to be the ACC. Now, ND can violate that clause, and maybe they will, but there will be a price to pay for that breach.
Right, and the GOR is iron clad. We know how that is going.

Advertisement
Right, and the GOR is iron clad. We know how that is going.

Hey, I argued that the GOR was steaming horse**** a LONG TIME AGO.

There's a difference between "the document isn't worth the paper it's written on" and "sure, you can breach the agreement, but it will cost you money".

Nobody is arguing that ND's agreement to join the ACC (if/when it joins a conference) is a garbage contract. It's not garbage, it's fine. But there will be a price.

The GOR, however, is garbage. We should not have to pay one cent for any real or perceived breach of the GOR (though I would be willing to pay a small price just to avoid uncertainty).

I am fine with paying whatever contractual penalty exists in the ACC Constitution for exiting the league.

Advertisement
Back