Canes vs LBSU game 2. The quest for hits and runs

I'm still trying to nail down the date when we stopped having the philosophy that a 2nd place trophy was just a door holder to the philosophy that everything is fine as long as we occasionally make it to Omaha.

The standard hasn't changed.

I just don't react childishly to a few years or lesser teams.

The powers that be identified the problems and corrected them.

Now we're 50 wins and Omaha.

In the meantime you're still whining about 2012.

God help us.

Advertisement
Louisville isn't better than Miami in 2016? You're on crack.

No.

According to you everybody is better than Miami.

And yet another example of Morris winning with the 'lesser' team. He beats Louisville with a lesser team after getting to Omaha in 2015 with a 'not great' team.

This year he might do it with an 'ordinary' team.

Somehow this guy can't coach any more.

What's your standard for having Miami above Louisville this year? Your precious RPI disagrees.

So we're looking up to a team swimming in the kiddie pool. Strong defense of Morris you have there.

No. You're giving him an excuse for the rest of his career.

Disregard the fact that he has built a top program and is now in an elite conference. He stills get to use that excuse.

So we're looking up to a team swimming in the kiddie pool. Strong defense of Morris you have there.

No. You're giving him an excuse for the rest of his career.

Disregard the fact that he has built a top program and is now in an elite conference. He stills get to use that excuse.

Nope. He has to get out there and have a good showing at some point. Just like Morris in the mid-90's. The expectation is there on McConnell's head. But given his age and what he has done from a very mediocre program, I would take him today. The same could be said for Morris in 1993 going into 1994. We would all have taken Morris over Fraser at that time, despite the legacy that Fraser had established.

Advertisement
Morris WAS a great coach. But you still want Jim Bowden-Morris to keep slumbering out there while we just hope to get to Omaha.

I love it.

A great coach in his mid-40's can't outperform an old man who's 'slumbering' around.

A slumbering coach who will probably go to Omaha in back-to-back years.

Morris WAS a great coach. But you still want Jim Bowden-Morris to keep slumbering out there while we just hope to get to Omaha.

I love it.

A great coach in his mid-40's can't outperform an old man who's 'slumbering' around.

You're under the delusion that Morris has a lot of control of what is going on with the program. DiMare is doing the recruiting and the coaching.

I love it.

In any event, we've already established that McConnell outperformed Morris in three of the last four years with 2016 still up in the air. Four out of five would be significant, no?

Morris' worst run was 2009-2016. This was his worst run by far and it included 2 Super Regionals, 4 Regionals and 1 Omaha appearance (probably 2). Consequently, one needs to find coaches that have performed better than Morris during that stretch. What coaches over this time period made Omaha once, made 2 Super Regionals and 4 Regionals?

The hockey-gnome will argue that 1 Championship is markedly better than the entire body of work, but even using that criteria Morris remains top-10 during that period of time. [This time period ignores the fact that Morris is one of a select few that have won Omaha more than once.]

One could award 4-points to winning Omaha, 3-points for reaching it, 2-points for the Super Regional and one for a Regional. For Miami, the streak is highly important, so you cannot assign a value of zero to making the tournament. If you want to assign an 8 to winning Omaha, a 3 to making it and 2 & 1 for the latter choices, then that would be passable. Even then, the guy is top-10.

Even during Morris' darkest stretch 2009-2014, Morris remains a top-10 coach under all criteria. During this stretch, EVERY team that Miami lost to in the post-season made Omaha. Even Stony Brook, who later beat LSU in the Super Regionals.

Advertisement
Louisville isn't better than Miami in 2016? You're on crack.

No.

According to you everybody is better than Miami.

And yet another example of Morris winning with the 'lesser' team. He beats Louisville with a lesser team after getting to Omaha in 2015 with a 'not great' team.

This year he might do it with an 'ordinary' team.

Somehow this guy can't coach any more.

What's your standard for having Miami above Louisville this year? Your precious RPI disagrees.

Says the guy that uses it to call baseball teams "second tier" lol. FYI we have three teams in the super regional that finished below the top 24 in RPI and we're probably going to have at least one more under the top 24, that blows up half your arguments that you've made in the past

Says the guy that uses it to call baseball teams "second tier" lol. FYI we have three teams in the super regional that finished below the top 24 in RPI and we're probably going to have at least one more under the top 24, that blows up half your arguments that you've made in the past

All you need to know is that FAU sucks. One regional win 14 years ago? Fold the program.

A cursory walk through the NCAA site places the Miami program at #10 during Morris' worst stretch.

I did not place them in order, but these programs performed better than Miami. UCLA, Fullerton, Louisville, UNC, Virginia, Vanderbilt, LSU, South Carolina and Arizona. Maybe Arizona State. Of these schools ONE is private and it is also one of the 10 richest schools in the country. Vanderbilt is top-5 in scholarships nationally (US News says 3).

During Morris' 20-year+ tenure, he is undoubtedly top-5 and arguably top-3.

Why would anyone fire a coach that is top-10 during his worst epoc? It makes no sense.

Advertisement

All you need to know is that FAU sucks. One regional win 14 years ago? Fold the program.

And all you need to know is so does UVA and Ole ****. Funny didn't you say one of these teams were going to heat up and make a run. I'll give Vandy a pass because of what happened.

If we make Omaha this year, then you have to include 2015 and 2016, which means that Morris' worst stretch implies being the 6th, 7th or 8th program in the country.

I am not sure what the fool is saying, but a prior poster lambasted the hockey-queen for stating that Tulane played in the Twin Cities. That tells you all that you need to know.

We beat 2 pitchers that are at least 1.5 deviations from the mean, which is more than one can say for UVA, Ole Miss, UNC....

Advertisement
Just saw the gnome's response in the Piccolo posting........

Who brought DiMare back? Who rightes the ship? How many coaches will have made Omaha twice in the past 2-years.......

There is no logic here. At a minimum, show some intelligence. Write down the programs that performed better and assign a numeric rational that justifies your asinine postings.

My biggest problem is that he ruins the board. He knows next to nothing about baseball, writes as if he were in his teens and inundates the Board with drivel. He said the team would barely make the tournament, guaranteed failure during the playoffs, but the gnome refuses to leave.

And all you need to know is so does UVA and Ole ****. Funny didn't you say one of these teams were going to heat up and make a run. I'll give Vandy a pass because of what happened.

UVA and Ole Miss occasionally win regionals. So does Vandy, in case you haven't heard. FAU does nothing, ever.

You're under the delusion that Morris has a lot of control of what is going on with the program. DiMare is doing the recruiting and the coaching.

What Gino does is very important (something you tried to deny) but it's Jim's program.

And that's a tough one to figure out. Like the defensive improvement. Was it Gino being more careful to find guys with good hands? Was it something philosophical once guys got to campus? I would be interested to see what exactly they did to fix it.

Advertisement
Back