Canes vs LBSU game 2. The quest for hits and runs

So now you are saying you would take #3 over O'Sullivan? A decade ago I would have, but not today.

I wouldn't take anybody over Jim Morris today.

That's just dumb. Dan McConnell and Kevin O'Sullivan coach circles around Jim Morris.

And don't you mean that you would take Jim Morris + DiMare? Or Jim Morris + Turtle? Because we saw what happened when Jim Morris was THE guy.

Advertisement
That's just dumb. Dan McConnell and Kevin O'Sullivan coach circles around Jim Morris.

McDonnell had one of the most stacked teams in the country last year and lost a home super regional as a huge favorite. His record in Omaha? 1-6. Two 0-2's in his last two appearances.

If you meant that their teams keep going in circles then I'd agree with you.

McDonnell had one of the most stacked teams in the country last year and lost a home super regional as a huge favorite. His record in Omaha? 1-6. Two 0-2's in his last two appearances.

I would like to have a guy who has built one of the most stacked teams in the country. You can't hold his Omaha record against him because that is a small sample size against good teams.

I would like to have a guy who has built one of the most stacked teams in the country.

I love watching you sway back and forth in order to make your preconceived positions come right.

You are the ultimate 'play the result' kind of guy. We had a stacked team in 2008 and made it to Omaha but since we didn't make the Final 4 we were losers.

Louisville had a stacked team last year and flopped in a home regional. Doesn't matter! You applaud McDonnell's ability to build the stacked team. ***** the result.

Your standards change depending on what's required to cover your ***.

I would like to have a guy who has built one of the most stacked teams in the country.

I love watching you sway back and forth in order to make your preconceived positions come right.

You are the ultimate 'play the result' kind of guy. We had a stacked team in 2008 and made it to Omaha but since we didn't make the Final 4 we were losers.

Louisville had a stacked team last year and flopped in a home regional. Doesn't matter! You applaud McDonnell's ability to build the stacked team. ***** the result.

Your standards change depending on what's required to cover your ***.

Please settle in and let me know your position: does one's record in Omaha determine how good that coach is?

Advertisement
You can't hold his Omaha record against him because that is a small sample size against good teams.

Your problem with this is that I'm using your standard to crush your argument.

McDonnell on his own has done a great job at Louisville (obviously) but when you compare him to other coaches (using your standard) and account for his talent advantage he hasn't won anything.

Please settle in and let me know your position: does one's record in Omaha determine how good that coach is?

No and I've never said as much.

Nobody is disputing that McDonnell is a good coach. Even one of the top 10 or so in the country.

But he can't touch Jim Morris as a postseason coach and I wouldn't take him right now over our guy.

No and I've never said as much.

Nobody is disputing that McDonnell is a good coach. Even one of the top 10 or so in the country.

But he can't touch Jim Morris as a postseason coach and I wouldn't take him right now over our guy.

McConnell builds better teams than Morris.
McConnell and Morris have similar post-season failures in the past five years.

I want the guy who builds the better team. You want the guy who ran out of pitching in the sixth inning of game three.

You said that the 2015 Miami team was 'not great' and this year's team is 'ordinary' and would be a borderline host.

How can you say those things and still be critical of the coaching staff that got those teams to Omaha (and the verge of Omaha)?

Yet at the same time you praise the guy who flopped with 'great' teams?

Advertisement

You said that the 2015 Miami team was 'not great' and this year's team is 'ordinary' and would be a borderline host.

How can you say those things and still be critical of the coaching staff that got those teams to Omaha (and the verge of Omaha)?

Yet at the same time you praise the guy who flopped with 'great' teams?

You said it yourself, McConnell is very, very good. He builds great teams. He hasn't yet won the whole thing. Why is it so bad to say I would like to have him as our head coach? I think our program has slipped under Jim Morris, especially at this point in his career. Is it really that irrational to have that opinion?

Advertisement
FYI - McConnell took over a program that had been to one regional since the inception of mankind. Now they're a national seed every year. And he's doing that in bumble fck Kentucky. Put him in Coral Gables and he could build a summer home in Omaha.

I think our program has slipped under Jim Morris, especially at this point in his career.

McDonnell at the height of his powers, in his prime, has failed to out-perform the guy who has let his program 'slip'!

In the last two years Miami has won more games and advanced further in the postseason than Louisville.

You are so obsessed with 5 years ago. It's incredible.

Advertisement
Morris has done the 1-2 thing for 15 years now at a program that used to win championships. That's why he gets killed.

McDonnell's high water mark was going 1-2 in Omaha in his first season.

He's never reached that point again in 9 years.

You crush Morris for 'only' going 1-2 in Omaha but praise McDonnell when he loses a home Super Regional.

I would like to have a guy who has built one of the most stacked teams in the country. You can't hold his Omaha record against him because that is a small sample size against good teams.

Now that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, he's constantly had top round talent around him and did nothing in Omaha. That's the same **** you've been complaining about and you're in favor of hiring a guy doing the same exact thing in Louisville.

Last edited:
FYI - McConnell took over a program that had been to one regional since the inception of mankind. Now they're a national seed every year.

And I credit him for that.

The difference is you fail to acknowledge that Miami has out-performed him in the last two seasons.

Advertisement
Back